R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 A cardboard Box

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 09:53 AM
JCampos
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A cardboard Box

.... decided to hit the front of my car yesterday. At first when I checked it out ALMOST everything was ok. There was a pen-point sized chunk of paint taken off of my front bumper.

However, later that night I was out with a friend when he asked me to pull up beside him. He told me "One of your front lights is out". I pulled over and checked it out and thank god it wasnt one of the xenons. It was those little f**ckers right UNDER the main headlights. I opened up my hood to see which bulb needed to be replaced when I found out it was worse than I thought.... The plastic harness for my turn signal SNAPPED! On top of that, the bulb for that lamp shattered (not the turn signal bulb, the other little guy in there.

Problem is, I can figure out HOW to get in there to get all of the shattered crap out from in there. ALSO cant see how the hell to get the bulb harness out. I have gotten the wire harness of of them, thats not the part im talking about... its the plastic piece that holds it in the hole.

If anyone knows how to get that thing out could you please tell me?

Old 06-19-2004, 10:19 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have replaced those lights myself. The plastic socket DOES unscrew from the rest, to get the old bulbs out... just like you would expect. But, you'll practically cut up your hand, it is so cramped in there. And, they're in there so tight, you'll swear there's some other way. The replacement bulbs are cheap, might as well do both, and you want them the same brightness anyway.

Godspeed.

Old 06-19-2004, 10:28 AM
JCampos
6th Gear
Ok, i got the bulbs out now with a lot of yanking (damn those bastards are in there tight!). However, I have come to find out that the little white bulb actually POPPED OUT!! i just put it back in and now its fine again. The plastic holder for the signal is what broke. I think ill swing by my dealer today and see how much to pick one up. Ill attach a couple of pictures.... I cant believe this happened from a cardboard box!

Old 06-19-2004, 09:32 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow. This doesn't look good. A MINI done in by a box. Sorry to hear about your misfortune there. That's gonna be sooo bad for how MINIs are percieved if people/friends find out about that. I know my friends wouldn't let me live that one down. Was it an empty box? Hope you have better luck in the future with yourself and your MINI.
Cheers,

Old 06-19-2004, 10:31 PM
JCampos
6th Gear
Went to east bay mini today and they told me that the replacement part is gonna be $17 so I dont really care. I must say, I was travelling at a GOOD (can't really say... those moderators will hunt me down) speed when I hit the box. It was empty and just sort of flopping around in the middle of the road. Tried to avoid it but the thing seemed like it was hunting MINIs.

The funny thing is that I have seen ROLLED minis sustain minimal damage, but I damn cardboard box seems to do the trick.

Old 06-21-2004, 12:43 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
Thanks for sharing....one more bit to file away inside the dying brain.......it will be useful at some time, am sure of that!

Old 06-21-2004, 11:09 AM
pefloresjr
3rd Gear
Hey Campos,

Of course you weren't speeding toward the box, it was being pushed by the bay area winds and was speeding toward you! How were the peninsula roads this weekend? Lots of great twisties I hope. Sorry I couldn't make it. I was keeping my eyes peeled for a PW MINI but didn't see any. Good luck with the light repair.

Cheers,

Old 06-21-2004, 11:26 AM
JCampos
6th Gear
Lets just say wow, i didnt know this car could do that. This was my first time really pushing MY limits in the car, but the car had plenty of room to go. I tested my limits as a driver but the car stuck to the road. Maybe nect time eh pete? Im putting my magnaflow and my alta shifter in today.... maybe hit it up again in 2 weeks. Let me know if you wanna come....

THAT GOES FOR ANY BAY AREA/NORCAL FOLKS! IF you wanna go for a drive, just let me know!

Old 06-21-2004, 03:22 PM
sfjames2
6th Gear
AH..... the Pilot is lit my friends, let's motor.