R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 replace stock water pump with electric for added hp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 09:45 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
replace stock water pump with electric for added hp?

so, i had a thought a while ago, as i am always thinking of ways to increase HP and mod the mini.

would there be any benefit to removing the stock mechanical water pump from the stock supercharger, and replace the pump with one of the electric ones that comes with say, they sprintrex supercharger? in theory, you would be removing that much more mechanical draw / resistance from the stock SC, and giving the engine a bit less stuff to move around. just let electricity power the water pump instead of the engine.

questions: would the stock SC still hold pressure / oil with just the water pump removed? what is the price of an electric water pump? can you purchase just an electric pump? lastly, since they electric ones have been known to fail, could you rig a sensor / warning light if it did fail, or use 2 of them in tandem, or plumb one up in tandem with a relay of sorts, so that you would have a built in backup pump?

thoughts! comments?

Old 07-04-2013, 05:56 PM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have info on it. but im in ny city, and very far from my pc. when i get home tomorrow night.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:43 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Popcorn.

I've had all the same questions.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:52 PM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
so here is the water pump the sprintex kit comes with. (Davies-Craig EWP-80)

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Electr...s-content.aspx

find a dealer that sells it and hook it up. i may winde up doing the same thing. same question i had a while back. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ater-pump.html

and and instruction guide how to set it up.

http://www.sprintex.com.au/sprintex/manuals/

Old 07-06-2013, 05:33 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GreekDrifter91
so here is the water pump the sprintex kit comes with. (Davies-Craig EWP-80)

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Electr...s-content.aspx

find a dealer that sells it and hook it up. i may winde up doing the same thing. same question i had a while back. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ater-pump.html

and and instruction guide how to set it up.

http://www.sprintex.com.au/sprintex/manuals/
Thanks for the info Gabe. I hit a dead end last time I searched for this topic. I've been looking for this.

::thumbsup

Old 07-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Raven Mocker
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My water pump is toast in my 2005 MCS. So I am looking at this option. It does look like a fairly cut and dry installation.

I do have a question on the SC. Do we just clean out the metal mess out of the PTO and slap on a block off plate reinstall the SC and call it a day or are there other things we need to do first to the SC? What about a rebuild kit?

And who has already completed this conversion on their MCS?

Old 07-19-2013, 06:15 PM
firenewt
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Pump

6 or 8 years ago, a vender had a complete kit to convert to electric. Pump, blockoff plate, hose, fittings etc. I'll see if I have any info if you like. I as recall, the price was around $895.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Raven Mocker
4th Gear
Firenewt... Ive already got the water pump part number and priced out as a kit from 206 to 244usd. I was just curious if anyone, or how many people have completed the water pump part and if they liked the results so we could get some real world feedback. Im talking to a fellow right now that has a kit so I if things work out between he and I on price then I will be doing this soon and of course I will do a write up with photo's for everyone as I am certain it would be appreciated.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:04 PM
fr0mmagna
2nd Gear
I have the Sprintex kit installed on my 04. The water pump was very simple. Hardest part was getting the tools in there to tighten it in place. Effects are great, constant running coolant circulation and remove some parasitic weight on rotational mass on the crank as well as some added relief on the stock sc if youre going that route. Should be a win-win. The eletric water pump is rated for 3000hours without a controller. Which is probably longer than a mechanical one would last anyways and is 60$ cheaper. You make the decisions yourself but I think it sold itself when it became an available option.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Raven Mocker
4th Gear
fr0mmagna- are you using the controller that is also used for their fans? Did it change the engine bay noise/sound? The mini's performance noticeable?

I'm going to inspect the SC while I have it removed from the engine. Then make a decision if it needs a rebuild or not. Where can I buy a quality rebuild kit?

Old 07-19-2013, 10:15 PM
fr0mmagna
2nd Gear
I am not using a controller. The WP runs at full speed and continues 4 minutes after power is removed. Its a massive difference because I have the SPRINTEX SC KIT installed. Stock SC was hosed so instead of a rebuild I went after market. Seems more reliable as oil is easier to change with 30k intervals, same as belt and sparks.. easy routine. Every 4th oil change.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Raven Mocker
4th Gear
After inspecting my SC, if things look ok I might do a bit of maintenance on it and some mods for oil and call it a day.

fr0mmagna- How did you do the mod where the WP continues to run after the engines been shut off? That'd be sweet to help cool things down.

Last edited by Raven Mocker; 07-19-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:27 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
The W/P connection for the Sprintex is wired that way, just a simple relay with the switched/on power coming from a source in the main fuse box that has power whenever the ECU is on. (your ECU is powered for an additional 5 min. after the ignition is off)

Old 07-20-2013, 07:03 AM
fr0mmagna
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
The W/P connection for the Sprintex is wired that way, just a simple relay with the switched/on power coming from a source in the main fuse box that has power whenever the ECU is on. (your ECU is powered for an additional 5 min. after the ignition is off)
+1
If it wasn't wired this way, I would have looked into putting a small capacitor in to make it do the sane thing without using my car battery tho. Lol. Its just a good idea! Like turbo timers...

Old 07-20-2013, 08:02 AM
MrOwl
Neutral
Originally Posted by astroBlackMetallic_Mini
just let electricity power the water pump instead of the engine.
I may be wrong...
But if the engine is what supplies the electricity to the vehicle. Then adding an electric water pump will increase the amount of amps needed, which means more load on your alternator meaning more drag the alternator will have on your engine. I'm sure any hp gains by swapping to an electric pump will be almost nonexistent.

A benefit the electric pump would have over the mechanical is that it could run at high speeds even at idle.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by MrOwl
I may be wrong...
But if the engine is what supplies the electricity to the vehicle. Then adding an electric water pump will increase the amount of amps needed, which means more load on your alternator meaning more drag the alternator will have on your engine. I'm sure any hp gains by swapping to an electric pump will be almost nonexistent.

A benefit the electric pump would have over the mechanical is that it could run at high speeds even at idle.
Depends on the load required for the pump, yes it can be true. But even if the difference isn't major, if the electrical pump is reliable, you remove a possible failure point. Which is the gears turning canibals and eating each others due to the lack of oil from a failed seal.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Raven Mocker
4th Gear
Well I bought the EWP-80 Electric Water Pump kit for 190 shipped. The mini is going down for major work anyway because I have a shelf full of parts and mods needing to be installed as well as new tires.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:35 PM
bean
5th Gear
I have an electric water pump on the race MINI. the main reason was to stop cavitation while running 8k rpm. also, most "SC failures" are actually PTO failures on the water pump side. I don't know if it is worth the effort on a typical street-driven MINI. Certainly, not to gain HP. insignificant.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:30 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bean
... also, most "SC failures" are actually PTO failures on the water pump side.....
That interests me. I'd hate to spend $1k and a considerable amount if my time to replace a still working SC, when it's only the PTO-water pump drive that's failed.

Just past 80k, no problems with original yet, but I hear an occasional noise from that area, which lasts for several seconds upon restarting a warm engine -like when I come out of the grocery store.

At whoever posted right above this, please let us know how install goes.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:21 PM
bean
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AlexQS
That interests me. I'd hate to spend $1k and a considerable amount if my time to replace a still working SC, when it's only the PTO-water pump drive that's failed.

Just past 80k, no problems with original yet, but I hear an occasional noise from that area, which lasts for several seconds upon restarting a warm engine -like when I come out of the grocery store.

At whoever posted right above this, please let us know how install goes.
I stand by my previous statement. the SC isn't the weak link. the install of the electric pump and plumbing on my car was done by other. it works, but it isn't an intuitive solution. i'll post pics if there is interest.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:25 PM
bean
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MrOwl

it can also run at a consistent speed at high revs. hence no cavitation.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:35 PM
fr0mmagna
2nd Gear
The amperage on a ewp would be fairly low since it has a steady flow once it gets the coolant running. I notice the radiator fan rarely comes on when in traffic now unless its over 90ish degrees. With stock wp it would come on at idle at 40 degrees.

I don't have a low speed fan, bypass is done so its noticible when the fan kicks.

I run torque when having fun driving but for the daily stuff I rarely turn it on. But all works great and temp is very steady without the fan.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Raven Mocker
4th Gear
I cant wait to get the front broken down and the SC off and everything modded. Then I have to do the rear items I havent installed yet. A four wheel alignment.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:22 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Raven Mocker
Well I bought the EWP-80 Electric Water Pump kit for 190 shipped.
Looks much cheaper than what I'm finding.

Where did you get it?

Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Raven Mocker
4th Gear
Try this guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/Davies-Craig-8005-EWP80-Remote-Electric-Water-Pump-Kit-80-liters-per-minute-/330877788683?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d09da620b. I made an offer of 160 and he came back with an offer of 190 shipped. Accept it. There was another for less money but it had stuff missing from it. It might still be on ebay.

Attached Thumbnails replace stock water pump with electric for added hp?-ebay.jpg  

Quick Reply: R50/53 replace stock water pump with electric for added hp?