R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Need info/help plz!!!!!????

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 05:23 PM
TrplBlk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered my MC the 19th and have been looking at things that I want to modify.
I dont like the antenna and my husband was wondering if you could use the navigation fin as the antenna? If you could does anyone know where I could find one? And would it cause any interferene with signal and make the stereo suck?
Can you put a supercharger from a S onto a MC and it work?? Again...my husbands thing. LOL
Does the S gas cap lock? I ask because we went to the mini dealer this weekend and my husband was checking out the s cap on a MCS and it was opened easily. Just wondering if the S gas cap locks....and if it does....why did this one open easily from the outside without hitting the unlock?
When you order the white tailights does the 3rd brake light also get white?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any info
Also looking for mini sites that sell accessories/chrome products.

TriplBlk

Old 03-29-2004, 05:46 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
>>I ordered my MC the 19th and have been looking at things that I want to modify.
>> I dont like the antenna and my husband was wondering if you could use the navigation fin as the antenna? If you could does anyone know where I could find one? And would it cause any interferene with signal and make the stereo suck?

The fin is for nav unit only, antenna with nav is in right 1/4 window

>> Can you put a supercharger from a S onto a MC and it work?? Again...my husbands thing. LOL

Compression ratio is higher in a cooper, if you want the supercharger get a S. You can always go turbo.

>> Does the S gas cap lock? I ask because we went to the mini dealer this weekend and my husband was checking out the s cap on a MCS and it was opened easily. Just wondering if the S gas cap locks....and if it does....why did this one open easily from the outside without hitting the unlock?

Mine is locked when the doors a locked.

>> When you order the white tailights does the 3rd brake light also get white?
>> Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any info
>>Also looking for mini sites that sell accessories/chrome products.
>>
>> TriplBlk

Old 03-29-2004, 06:01 PM
pxlmxr
2nd Gear
TrplBlk-

Wow- that's alotta questions- I'll do my best...

-I would imagine the shark fin antenna would not cause any interference- though I don't know for sure- you can probably order one from the dealer

-Putting an "S" supercharger on an MC is not adviseable - there are many facets of the engine/exhaust/ecu/transmission that are different on each car- ofcourse with enough $ and time it could be done- but it's probably cheaper just to upgrade to a new car

-The gas cap on the S does lock- when the doors are unlocked it can be opened but locks when the car is locked.

- I assume that for the taillights- you are referring to the dealer option white lights- I believe all 3 lights go white (but am not positive- I'll look into it)

-Check out MINI Mania or RSpeed for chrome bits.

Hope this helps-
I have more links and MINI info at my site: MINI Mechanic.com

Please let me know if you have any other questions

-S

Old 03-29-2004, 06:03 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>I ordered my MC the 19th and have been looking at things that I want to modify.
>> I dont like the antenna and my husband was wondering if you could use the navigation fin as the antenna? If you could does anyone know where I could find one? And would it cause any interferene with signal and make the stereo suck?

Aloha and welcome to NAM.
There are many options for the antenna besides the long stock one and the NAV fin. There are various shorty antenna from what looks like a reverse golf tee to aluminum billet antennas that come in various colors. Just check the various sponsors like Rspeed.com and Outmotoring.com

>> Can you put a supercharger from a S onto a MC and it work?? Again...my husbands thing. LOL

No, there are only a few performance upgrades for the MC so power gains are modest. The two engines are quite different. There will be a turbo kit for the MC, testing is being done.

>> Does the S gas cap lock?
No, both the door cover and the cap itself have no lock mechanism in the Cooper S. I guess it might be possible to add an aftermarket gas cap with key. I never heard of anyone doing it. Maybe a universal cap with key might work.

>> When you order the white tailights does the 3rd brake light also get white?
Yes the third light mounted up high at the roof line above the hatch is white or rather clear and the bulbs inside are red. When using the white lights you need to add two rear bumper red reflectors to stay legal with the DOT in most states.

>>Also looking for mini sites that sell accessories/chrome products.
Try Rspeed.com
http://www.rspeed.net/mini/subcat.asp?dept=12&cat=1

Old 03-29-2004, 06:11 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
>>
>>>> Does the S gas cap lock?
>>No, both the door cover and the cap itself have no lock mechanism in the Cooper S. I guess it might be possible to add an aftermarket gas cap with key. I never heard of anyone doing it. Maybe a universal cap with key might work.
>>
I beg to differ, my 04 lid locks !

Old 03-29-2004, 06:18 PM
sketchedin
3rd Gear
You could try going without your antenna and see how it does. I drive around without one, and it doesn't effect my reception all that much, plus it looks a lot better.

Congrats on getting the new MINI!

Old 03-29-2004, 07:32 PM
TrplBlk
Neutral
Thanks for the responses thus far. So does/doesnt the s gas cap lock? seems we have a few opinions that arent in agreement. lol
I also am triying to find someplace that could make me a rear window decal/sticker/cling. Looking for one that looks like the mini badge.....and frosted looking. Want it to fit a good portion of the window. Any ideas ????
Thanks every1

Old 03-29-2004, 08:11 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
My 04 locks. See below.