R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Optimistic fuel gauge/computer - Ran out of gas last night!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 AM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Optimistic fuel gauge/computer - Ran out of gas last night!

I haven't ran out of gas since I was a teenager, but my new-to-me 2005 MCSC changed that last night.

Driving from GA to VA to visit family, I was cruising through north Georgia on the interstate. My gas gauge had fallen below the quarter tank mark, and the red light had come on. I switched to "range" on the onboard computer, and it said I had about 40 miles left. Plenty of range to get to one of my "trusted gas stops" a few exits further down the road, so I wasn't worried.

Well, as it turns out I should have been! With about 26 miles of range left, and the actual gas gauge still clearly above the "E" mark, the engine died and I drifted safely off onto the shoulder. I immediately suspected that i had ran out of gas. Actually, since I just purchased this car less than a week ago, I was HOPING it was just no gas!

Anyway, 40 minutes later, AAA shows up with two gallons, and she fires right up.

Is this a known problem? I guess I got used to my Honda Element, which would go about 40 miles past the E mark.

From now on, I'll take that red light seriously!!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Had a friend who ran out with 20 miles left on the OBC.
I haven't had that issue. I have had it run down to --- for a few miles on the way to a gas station after a track day (funny, my mileage improved drastically on the freeway...)

My car reliably goes into the red with 60miles left on the OBC (but I've got Nav, so I have eight 'candy corns' instead of a gauge.)

Edit: The MPG is definitely optimistic - I range between 8-15% optimistic, with an average of 11%

Old 09-26-2012, 12:37 PM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Edit: The MPG is definitely optimistic - I range between 8-15% optimistic, with an average of 11%
this made me laugh.

i have the nav system so i by default have the stupid strip of leds telling me how much gas i have and when i get to the red led it makes me nervous so i switch to the consumption screen and pray that thats how many miles i have left. i still need to get used to how far the last led will take me.

anwway i just got my car too and it feels like i always have to fill up even though i i get 300-350miles mix heaver town driving of course.

but highway drive feels very optimistic when cruising at 60 i get 46mpg, 70 i get 40mpg, and at 80 35mpg. im currently doing a little test and babying the gas as much as possible to see how far i can really get on a tank of gas. and do it the old fashion way by dividing miles on the odo by how many gallons i put in at fill up.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:11 PM
jeffreyevens
2nd Gear
I have an 04 MCS. I ran out of gas with 20 miles showing on OBC. Dont remember where needle was on gauge,low fuel light was on for a little while.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:35 PM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear
@leftfield6

Hey, have you figured out the problem? I have the same problem right now, but it is on and off. Sometimes, im good all the way down and sometimes I run out of gas a little before the quarter. Any information would be helpful.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I must admit that I've ran low a couple times, but never ran out of fuel. In fact, it happened twice where the OBC was indicating --- for the range. I was most likely really close, but got away with it.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:02 AM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have a range computer on my 2004, but I've buried the needle well below the E line a couple times with the fuel light on for quite a while. (The fuel light comes on with the gauge showing just below 1/4 tank.) When refueling, I still had a 1/2 gallon or so left.

If the gauge was above the E line and the light had just come on when you ran out, it sounds like the gauge (and perhaps the trip computer) are both a bit mis-calibrated. But these instruments are not exactly precision devices, so it might not be worth chasing the problem though.... could be expensive to fix. Another possibility is that the fuel pickup, for some reason, is sitting too high and not draining the last gallon or two from the tank. Did the amount you put in after you ran out seen consistent with the tank capacity? Do you see anything in the service records of having had any fuel pump, fuel, tank, or fuel filter work done?

Easiest way out is probably easier just to re-calibrate your own interpretation of the gauge to say a little above E is E and subtract 25 miles from the range estimate.

- Mark

Old 09-08-2013, 07:33 AM
R60All4
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought and CMS ALL4.... While not a "problem" with the car, it was a major error on my part to trust anything electric on it, my fuel gauge would show 90 miles, 80, 70, at 60ish it would click on the 2 red candy corns and warn me, NEVER has there been a time where I made it more than 5 miles on the final 2 red, sometimes barely 3 blocks, so no idling in town just 3 blocks. Keep that damned gauge in the orange if it is like mine

Old 09-08-2013, 12:35 PM
DeanLinAZ
1st Gear
I ran out of fuel many years ago driving my Mom's 1963 Oldsmobile with she and my Grandmother on board and 20 miles from anywhere. This was way before cell phones and AAA. Fortunately there was a farm house within a reasonable walking distance. Ever since, I have made it a point to refuel at the quarter mark on all my vehicles or three lights in the MINI.

P.S.: My daughters always run their cars down to vapor so you folks are normal--I'm still paranoid after 50 years.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by DeanLinAZ
I ran out of fuel many years ago driving my Mom's 1963 Oldsmobile with she and my Grandmother on board and 20 miles from anywhere. This was way before cell phones and AAA. Fortunately there was a farm house within a reasonable walking distance. Ever since, I have made it a point to refuel at the quarter mark on all my vehicles or three lights in the MINI.

P.S.: My daughters always run their cars down to vapor so you folks are normal--I'm still paranoid after 50 years.
It's not being paranoid, it's called: Better be safe than sorry!

Old 09-09-2013, 03:56 AM
ewgoforth
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've run my '03 R53 down to <2 miles left a couple times (I wouldn't recommend it). I've never run out of gas, my wife has. I've never been able to get much over 13 gallons in, so I think I had 1/2 gallon or remaining. I don't know what her range was showing prior to her running out of gas, I had to come rescue her with a gas can, so I don't really know how much gas she . I generally turn the trip computer over to range when the red light comes on. I try to fill it before it gets to less than 20 miles left,

Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 AM
minirubicon
1st Gear
I regularly run my '06 R53's needle well below the red "empty" mark on the gauge, and well past the "0 miles remaining" range indicator. I've put 14.8 gallons in a fillup before. Total capacity is ~15.5 gallons.