R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 need to vent...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 08:29 AM
CooperS53
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need to vent some anger, and maybe this will help... I woke up early today (7:30 isn't early to some of u but i work until 12:30 and stay up until 2:00 so it's pretty early for me) and gladly took my car in to get something fixed and get some new parts installed... I figured it would go by quicker since it was early in the morning (and i was right). I went in and everything was fine, until they asked if i needed a ride somewhere. I said no, i need a loaner... they said they wouldn't give me one because i'm only 18, i said wtf, you guys gave me one last time i came in, and they said that was a mistake... so we go back/forth as to what there policies are, and i finally decide to leave. my plan as of this point is to come in with my dad, get a loaner, and tear it apart to the best of my young stupid driving ability...and then here's the part that really makes me mad, the first excuse they gave me was that there were no loaners, then when i get up to leave i see the same service guy talking to another guy, and saying "ill show u to your loaner car right now." so that was bad enough, but as i was walking towards my car, the older guy (sales-manager) walked up and rubbed it in like he said "did you get everythign sorted out?" and he had a grin on his face, and i said no and told him the problem, and he kept blowing me off saying that policy is policy and the person that gave me a loaner last time was wrong (funny, cause that was the sales-manager who gave me one). Then he started to turn his back to me as if i wasn't important because i was young, he kept turning his back, and shruggin his shoulders saying "this won't get us anywhere" and i just got sooo mad :evil: , it's a good thing i left when i did, because i really wanted to just take off and start punching him (that's the stupid young gene) good thing i didn't, but i feel like an idiot, because i was mad i drove like an idiot on the way home, good thing the car was just recently broken in before i did this, so it wasn't that bad...

i was just so mad, had to vent some of my anger... it's days like this when i wish i was bill gates so i could just tak eout a stack of 100s and smack him right in the face with them and say "do it"...

FYI for those of u in socal, this was at bob smith bmw/mini of calabasas

Old 03-26-2004, 08:38 AM
~Scooper~
3rd Gear
Wonder why they won't give loaners to 18-year-olds...

Seriously...you act that way, threaten to "tear apart" a loaner if you get one, wanted to "punch" the manager, and admit to driving "like an idiot" on the way home, and you want sympathy?

I know plenty of 18-year-olds who act and think like mature people, it's a shame they can't get loaners. You, however...I hope I don't cut you off in traffic. You sound like the reason they have the policy in the first place. Some dealership policies stink, I totally get that. Calm down, and deal with it.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:42 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh Yoof,

Time of too much testosterone, and not much else.

Old 03-26-2004, 09:03 AM
CooperS53
2nd Gear
i dont' "act" that way, i think that way, there's a difference, of course i'm not going to tell him as soon as i get a loaner i'm going to drive the **** out of it because that's just stupid, and no, i don't have RR, and yes i am mature, but i do have a temper like everyone else, and mine doesn't come from cutting me off, or calling me names, or anything like that, it comes from disrespect, and him turning his back on me becuase i wasn't "an important customer" is very rude and especially when 2 weeks ago i get a loaner without a problem, but today they blow me off...

recap: i never threatened to do anythign (i thought it to myself), i did want to punch him (as would anyone if they were mad like i was), i don't have road rage, so unless someone blatantly does something completely stupid, i won't pursue it. when i say driving like an idiot i mean i was going about 100 (funny cause this is the first time i went past 90 in my mini)... even when i drive fast i still don't drive stupid... (when i say like an idiot, i mean that i'm asking for a ticket, driving stupid is a compeltely different thing, i don't drive stupid)...

so if you want to criticize me for being mad that's fine, but i have my reasons, as well as anyone else would in their own dealer mishaps...

Old 03-26-2004, 09:03 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor

>>
>>i was just so mad, had to vent some of my anger... it's days like this when i wish i was bill gates so i could just tak eout a stack of 100s and smack him right in the face with them and say "do it"...
>>
>>FYI for those of u in socal, this was at bob smith bmw/mini of calabasas
>>
>>
What do you mean "days like this when I wish I was Bill Gates"???? I wish that I had his money every day. I'm sure I could spend it in better ways than he does.

Earl

Old 03-26-2004, 09:46 AM
CooperS53
2nd Gear
yeah, that's not what i meant though, it's hard to explain but the basic point is i wish i had enough money that i could just slap him with money so he does it ... actually if i had as much money as bill gates i'd just drop the car off and buy another one until it's ready... that'd be fun...

Old 03-26-2004, 09:47 AM
GreenGiant
Neutral
hmmm.

When I was 18 I rode the bus. I'm having a hard time mustering up sympathy for an 18 year old with a brand new Mini. Sorry, bud. Take a deep breath and count to ten. Life is way too short to waste so much energy festering over something so trivial.

Old 03-26-2004, 09:55 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
fyi......when was the last time you rented a car? Nada, because you have to be 25 to rent a car .When I've been given a rental or loaner (and I'm not sure there's a difference since my dealer "gives" you a rental rather than having loaners in house) I still had to let them run a credit card,for gas return and damage reasons.Do you have a credit card?If so ,then I'm not sure this has a point.I think it really sucks that 18 year olds can vote and die in a war ,but don't seem to have any other benefits and priviledges.If you are an emancipated 18 year old and can prove it, then I think you well may have a beef with the dealer's policy.The fact that they gave you one on an earlier visit doesn't have to mean anything more than some one screwed up.However if you are as hot headed as you appear from this post ,I'm not surprised if they changed their policy mid stream.Take a chill pill and have an adult conversation with the owner of the dealership and see if you can't come up with some kind of compromise. Peace

Old 03-26-2004, 10:05 AM
02s79fj40
2nd Gear
The thoughts running through your head are exactly why they don't give loaners to teenagers. Actually most people can't even rent a car until they are 21.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:14 AM
TiMINITim
3rd Gear
Seems to me everyone replying so far is missing the point. The reason CooperS53 got mad is because they treated him pretty well the first time he was in. The second time they treated him like crap, LIED to him about loaners not being available, and then had the gall to rub it in a little by asking if it was sorted out when they new darn well it wasn't.

There are lot's of places that have all kinds of policies, but they don't lie to their customers about them and treat them like crap!!!! If they made a mistake the first time they should have calmly explained this, apologized, and worked to help him out for the day.

Funny that they probably treated him like an adult when he had $20K for the car (or was adult enough to get the loan), but treat him like a punk after they get his money!

Old 03-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Bluegarvis
3rd Gear
I happen to have my car at Bob Smith right now. I did not buy it there as they did not have their MINI dealership until they moved to Calabasas. I did buy my 5 series there and have been treated with nothing but repect whether it was my 5 or my MINI. All of their loaners (incuding the BMWs) are actually rentals from Enterprise. For my MINI, I actually had to complete an Enterprise rental agreement. On the rental agreement, it specifically states that you must be 25 to rent the car.

As for the treatment you received, if in fact it went down as stated (remember, there are ALWAYS 2 sides to every story) then you were wronged. However, just because they made a mistake once doesn't mean they have to make the same error a second time. Also, was your visit planned or were you a drop-in? There have been many times when I have taken my 5 in for unexpected items that cars were not available.

How long did they anticipate keeping your car? Did you have the opportunity to take advantage of their shuttle?

Just my $0.02

Old 03-26-2004, 11:08 AM
MINIGUY99
2nd Gear
>>Seems to me everyone replying so far is missing the point. The reason CooperS53 got mad is because they treated him pretty well the first time he was in. The second time they treated him like crap, LIED to him about loaners not being available, and then had the gall to rub it in a little by asking if it was sorted out when they new darn well it wasn't.
>>
>>There are lot's of places that have all kinds of policies, but they don't lie to their customers about them and treat them like crap!!!! If they made a mistake the first time they should have calmly explained this, apologized, and worked to help him out for the day.
>>
>>Funny that they probably treated him like an adult when he had $20K for the car (or was adult enough to get the loan), but treat him like a punk after they get his money!

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the other person being led to the loaner had an appointment, so they were holding the car for that person?

Also, the sales manager, as reported above, likely had no idea whether or not the problem was resolved, because he's the sales manager, not the service manager. It is very likely he had no idea what was going on until he asked. When the conversation deteriorated into childish anger, he said "this isn't getting us anywhere," and excused himself. There is a point when it's better to walk away than try to have a reasonable conversation with an unreasonable person.

Old 03-26-2004, 11:57 AM
rfibanez
Banned
I've had a similar incident at Assael in Monrovia...I brought my mini in to have some warrenty work done in the morning. They said it would be done in the afternoon, I asked if I can get a loaner because I drove almost 50 miles to get there. They said they dont give out loaners, but I see people driving off in loaners all the time. I sure as hell wasn't going to sit at the mini dealership for 8 hours waiting for them to fix my mini so I just get in my mini and go.

Seems like they're all nice and friendly when you buy the car but after that they treat you like crap. I was 19 when I got my mini, whenever I go in for service they treat me like they dont care. Mini REALLY needs to work on customer service, especially in their So Cal dealerships.

And stop giving CooperS53 crap because he is young and has a mini, I've seen it happen so much on NAM

Old 03-26-2004, 12:06 PM
C4
Banned
I think some of these policies are an Oxymoron most of the time. If dealers, car rental agencies and insurance companies think that handing the keys of a loaner car to anyone under the age of 25 is such a bad idea, then they should also stick by thier principles and not sell new cars to this age group either...right?

I was 18 once and proud myself to have been a very responsible driver at the time, I learned to drive when I was 14. ZERO tickets from the first time I got my license at age 16 to the time I became 25 an eligible for insurance discounts.

I personally think that driver licenses should be given to those teenagers that have proven good character, behavior and grades at school. there are too many irresponsible kids behind the wheel....a driver's license is not a RIGHT but a PRIVILIEGE and teens should be obligated to demonstrate that they have the skills, conduct traits and awareness of the law before getting a driver's license.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:41 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
>>Wonder why they won't give loaners to 18-year-olds...
>>
>>Seriously...you act that way, threaten to "tear apart" a loaner if you get one, wanted to "punch" the manager, and admit to driving "like an idiot" on the way home, and you want sympathy?
>>
>>I know plenty of 18-year-olds who act and think like mature people, it's a shame they can't get loaners. You, however...I hope I don't cut you off in traffic. You sound like the reason they have the policy in the first place. Some dealership policies stink, I totally get that. Calm down, and deal with it.

Oh shutup, like you wouldn't be pissed off and want the guy to hear a piece of your mind when you're basically imprisoned at a car dealership while your MINI gets worked on. I'm sure if they'd given him a loaner and let him use it, everything would've been fine. Some of you so-called mature older people are really funny, you think you know a thing or two about every teenager on the planet, but in actuality have no clue and probably react to situations in the same manner.

Old 03-26-2004, 01:09 PM
MINIGUY99
2nd Gear
>>>>Wonder why they won't give loaners to 18-year-olds...
>>>>
>>>>Seriously...you act that way, threaten to "tear apart" a loaner if you get one, wanted to "punch" the manager, and admit to driving "like an idiot" on the way home, and you want sympathy?
>>>>
>>>>I know plenty of 18-year-olds who act and think like mature people, it's a shame they can't get loaners. You, however...I hope I don't cut you off in traffic. You sound like the reason they have the policy in the first place. Some dealership policies stink, I totally get that. Calm down, and deal with it.
>>
>>Oh shutup, like you wouldn't be pissed off and want the guy to hear a piece of your mind when you're basically imprisoned at a car dealership while your MINI gets worked on. I'm sure if they'd given him a loaner and let him use it, everything would've been fine. Some of you so-called mature older people are really funny, you think you know a thing or two about every teenager on the planet, but in actuality have no clue and probably react to situations in the same manner.

Wow! What's with the age thing with you guys? Nobody cares how old or young you are. The issue is the entitlement attitude.

The reason car dealers and rental car companies usually don't give out loaners to people under 25 is insurance. Most are self-insured. Meaning that they pay the bill when you bend up a car. Get over it.

And, what is up with the BMW envy?

Yes, BMW customers will get a loaner...especially when they have an appointment. YOU DIDN'T BUY A BMW! YOU BOUGHT A MINI. Different car company, different rules.

The last time you got your Honda, or Toyota, or Volkswagen, or Chevy serviced, did you get a loaner? Likely not. However the last time you got your Acura, or Lexus, or Audi or Cadillac serviced you probably did.

Same manufacturer, different brand, different price point, different rules.

DEAL WITH IT!

Old 03-26-2004, 02:14 PM
rfibanez
Banned
Would you sit at the dealer all day while your mini is being serviced and just deal with it?

Some mini dealers are giving loners and some are not, they need to change their policies.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:29 PM
C4
Banned
>>>>>>Wonder why they won't give loaners to 18-year-olds...
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Seriously...you act that way, threaten to "tear apart" a loaner if you get one, wanted to "punch" the manager, and admit to driving "like an idiot" on the way home, and you want sympathy?
>>>>>>
>>>>>>I know plenty of 18-year-olds who act and think like mature people, it's a shame they can't get loaners. You, however...I hope I don't cut you off in traffic. You sound like the reason they have the policy in the first place. Some dealership policies stink, I totally get that. Calm down, and deal with it.
>>>>
>>>>Oh shutup, like you wouldn't be pissed off and want the guy to hear a piece of your mind when you're basically imprisoned at a car dealership while your MINI gets worked on. I'm sure if they'd given him a loaner and let him use it, everything would've been fine. Some of you so-called mature older people are really funny, you think you know a thing or two about every teenager on the planet, but in actuality have no clue and probably react to situations in the same manner.
>>
>>
>>Wow! What's with the age thing with you guys? Nobody cares how old or young you are. The issue is the entitlement attitude.
>>
>>The reason car dealers and rental car companies usually don't give out loaners to people under 25 is insurance. Most are self-insured. Meaning that they pay the bill when you bend up a car. Get over it.
>>
>>And, what is up with the BMW envy?
>>
>>Yes, BMW customers will get a loaner...especially when they have an appointment. YOU DIDN'T BUY A BMW! YOU BOUGHT A MINI. Different car company, different rules.
>>
>>The last time you got your Honda, or Toyota, or Volkswagen, or Chevy serviced, did you get a loaner? Likely not. However the last time you got your Acura, or Lexus, or Audi or Cadillac serviced you probably did.
>>
>>Same manufacturer, different brand, different price point, different rules.
>>
>>DEAL WITH IT!

My MINI dealer always gives me brand spanking new Cooper loaners whenever I take my cars for service with an appt.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:31 PM
C4
Banned
>>Would you sit at the dealer all day while your mini is being serviced and just deal with it?
>>
>>Some mini dealers are giving loners and some are not, they need to change their policies.

Of course not. But even if all 70 MINI dealers nationwide decide on an uniform policy to provide MINI loaners to their MINI customers, rest assured that anyone under 25 will be excluded from this benefit automatically.

These are restrictions placed upon insurance companies first and foremost. Statistically, more teenagers (And elderly) are involved in traffic accidents than any other age group.

So this is the reality...Deal with it!

Old 03-26-2004, 02:33 PM
no_affiliation
5th Gear
Dude we had the same thing happen, and we have a car with the yo-yo so it's been to the dealer many a times. Luckily for us, my gf was only 20 for 2 months when we got the car.

BMW treat's young people like ****. I will never ever purchase anything from a BMW dealership... (unless they come out with a mini pickup truck)

oh and it's 21 here in AZ to get a rental car...

as for miniguy99 and this statement
Wow! What's with the age thing with you guys? Nobody cares how old or young you are. The issue is the entitlement attitude.

The reason car dealers and rental car companies usually don't give out loaners to people under 25 is insurance. Most are self-insured. Meaning that they pay the bill when you bend up a car. Get over it.

And, what is up with the BMW envy?

Yes, BMW customers will get a loaner...especially when they have an appointment. YOU DIDN'T BUY A BMW! YOU BOUGHT A MINI. Different car company, different rules.

The last time you got your Honda, or Toyota, or Volkswagen, or Chevy serviced, did you get a loaner? Likely not. However the last time you got your Acura, or Lexus, or Audi or Cadillac serviced you probably did.

Same manufacturer, different brand, different price point, different rules.

DEAL WITH IT!
If the car is made in a BMW Plant, and sold at BMW dealerships, and the service advisors are BMW advisors... guess what it's basically a BMW.

Not enough? Check your brakes I beleive they say BMW right on them. You got a bad attitude man, and people like you that have mini's will eventually ruin the scene for the good guys. Or you will just upgrade to the newest fad car like most will.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:35 PM
MINIGUY99
2nd Gear
>>Would you sit at the dealer all day while your mini is being serviced and just deal with it?
>>
>>Some mini dealers are giving loners and some are not, they need to change their policies.

No. I would make arrangements to have someone meet me there to pick me up, or have the dealership give me a ride somewhere, which they likely offered.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:56 PM
jwhcars
3rd Gear
Let me state some facts about "Loaner Cars"
The car company I buy for has the largest "Loaner Car" Fleet for it's one francise
258 units.
Enterprise under writes the lease on these units-this is why you see Enterprise
on a lot of dealer paper work.
The units are not inexpensive to have and service.
The deductible we use is $2000 , helps a little with insurance costs.
The customer is held liable if they wreck car.
Our insurance will be null and void should a person under 25 be driving-if your insurance goes south who do you thing they sue?
The rental agreement lists the DRIVER of the vehicle no matter if it is free or not-
it is only good for that DRIVER
So sorry someone made a mistake for you the first time but as you where told -
There are rules to follow when you know the facts.

The insurance on dealer tagged cars , vehicles for Demo rides ,extended test drives.
allows in my state for people under 25 to drive these cars(we have $2000 deductible)

When we get in a pinch such as you where in we have a state form we can fill out allowing someone under 25 to use a vehicle while their car is in for service,
These are NOT out of the LOANER fleet-most likely one of the managers demo

Remember count to ten , walk away , and talk softly , calmly and if you are dealing with a reasonable person most problems can be solved

Old 03-26-2004, 03:06 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
The only useful thing to do at this point is to figure out what the dealer can do to make this right, and then find out the name and title of the boss of the guy that pissed you off, and put your complaint in writing. Then follow it up with phone calls directly to this person to find out if he is acting on it. If you aren't satisfied, go to his boss, and repeat until you find someone that cares or would rather give you what you want than listen to you complain or your reach the top of the chain.

Of course all of this will take time, and won't necessarily get you any results or improve your next dealing with this dealership. They may be ****** and there may be nothing you can do about it.

When I was 24 I bought a new BMW motorcyle from the local dealer. I came back about a year later looking for another new bike, talking to the same salesperson. The guy gave me a hard time about taking a test drive, and in gerneral was a *****. I rode in on the bike I bought there, and he knew who I was. I wasn't about to drop $13k on a bike I had never ridden, but I was ready to buy, and his attitiude was pissing me off.

I finally got the test ride, and my buddy hung out while I was gone. The sales guy started drilling my buddy about what I do for a living and how I can afford the bikes and all this, and it turns out he was a pain because he was jealous of the bikes I was able to buy. By the time I got back he had cooled off and was civil. I guess the point is you never know what's up someone's @ss on any given day.

I never did buy the bike from him, but I made sure to stop in later that week with the one I did purchase from a dealer across town

Old 03-26-2004, 04:21 PM
MINIGUY99
2nd Gear
>>Dude we had the same thing happen, and we have a car with the yo-yo so it's been to the dealer many a times. Luckily for us, my gf was only 20 for 2 months when we got the car.
>>
>>BMW treat's young people like ****. I will never ever purchase anything from a BMW dealership... (unless they come out with a mini pickup truck)
>>
>>oh and it's 21 here in AZ to get a rental car...
>>
>>as for miniguy99 and this statement
>>
>>
>>The reason car dealers and rental car companies usually don't give out loaners to people under 25 is insurance. Most are self-insured. Meaning that they pay the bill when you bend up a car. Get over it.
>>
>>And, what is up with the BMW envy?
>>
>>Yes, BMW customers will get a loaner...especially when they have an appointment. YOU DIDN'T BUY A BMW! YOU BOUGHT A MINI. Different car company, different rules.
>>
>>The last time you got your Honda, or Toyota, or Volkswagen, or Chevy serviced, did you get a loaner? Likely not. However the last time you got your Acura, or Lexus, or Audi or Cadillac serviced you probably did.
>>
>>Same manufacturer, different brand, different price point, different rules.
>>
>>DEAL WITH IT!
>>
>>
>>If the car is made in a BMW Plant, and sold at BMW dealerships, and the service advisors are BMW advisors... guess what it's basically a BMW.
>>
>>Not enough? Check your brakes I beleive they say BMW right on them. You got a bad attitude man, and people like you that have mini's will eventually ruin the scene for the good guys. Or you will just upgrade to the newest fad car like most will.

MINIs are not made in a BMW plant, you moron. They are made in the MINI plant in Oxford, England.

So, when you go buy a Toyota Camry, and bring it back for service, do you get a loaner? No. It is the exact same car as the Lexus es300. No loaner for the Toyota, loaner for the Lexus. Get used to it.

If your Dodge should have Mercedes brakes on it, do you get a loaner when you bring it for service? NO!

If you want to plunk down $40, 50 or 120 large for a BMW, then you get a loaner. Buy a used BMW for $20 large, you get a loaner, buy a MINI you don't.

Yeesh!

The attitude you receive when you go into a dealership for service is quite often a reflection of the attitude you give.

Old 03-26-2004, 04:25 PM
kensmini
3rd Gear
I get free cab rides between the dealer and home or the office. Here I thought I'd scored...

Quick Reply: R50/53 need to vent...