R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Main AirBag Light only. Good Seat sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Pascalb18
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Main AirBag Light only. Good Seat sensor.

Hey guys, I spent hours reading multiple threads on Airbag light issues, but I couldn't find the same symptoms I have. If you know of one, please just give me the link. Thanks.

- My wife's 05 Mini Convertible has the Main cluster/Speedo "Airbag Light" constantly ON.

- The overhead passenger Light only comes on for a few seconds when I first start the car. Then, right after it shots off, the Main cluster/Speedo "Airbag Light" comes ON and stays ON.

- I tested the passenger seat sensor by sitting in it with no seatbelt and the seatbelt indicator come on after a few seconds. If I get of the seat it shuts off. This tells me that the sensor is working fine.

- The seats cables/harnesses are all tight and I tried unplugging the battery for 30mins + but it didn't reset the Main cluster/Speedo "Airbag Light.

The Main cluster/Speedo "Airbag Light" is the only faulty indication I have.

Is it time to go to the dealer? Is there anything else I can check on my own ?

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:14 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Once the airbag warning light is activated (the main one, not the passenger occupancy light), it will stay on and won't reset itself, even if you fix the condition that caused it. It won't turn off until it is reset with a diagnostic tool at a dealer or shop. For example, if you disconnect the seat wiring harness (e.g. to remove a seat) and turn on the car, the airbag warning will light up and it will stay lit even after reinstalling the seat and reconnecting the wiring.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help you with what caused the problem. You might learn more from the error code. In any case, expect the light to stay on until it is reset with a diagnostic tool.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:24 AM
Pascalb18
Neutral
Thanks rkw, I saw on a tread that said unplugging the bat. for 30mins reset the light/code for someone else. That's why I tried it and thought that since mine didn't clear, I might still have a problem.

I'm just wondering if there is something else I should test before giving my money away to a shop/dealer. I'll also do some research but the guys at work have a MAC Mentor scan tool. It might do the job?

Anyone knows how to test the seatbelt tensioner? I saw that it could trigger the Airbag Light also. I know the seat belt indicator/switch are good for both sides but how about the tensioner?

Thanks again.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:07 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I'm not familiar with that scan tool, but most likely it will be able to read the error code (which may or may not pinpoint the issue). Some scan tools can also reset the error. I don't know how to test the seatbelt tensioner, but yes it can trigger the light. When I was rear-ended, no airbags deployed but the tensioner was triggered and set the light on.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Pascalb18
Neutral
Did you have to replace the Tensioner or just reset the Light?

Old 04-28-2012, 03:38 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
It had to be replaced. After firing, the mechanism was permanently compressed several inches shorter.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Pascalb18
Neutral
Ok, it's been a while but I took some leave and didn't have much time to play. I fixed an issue with the window tilt but still have the Airbag light.

I borrowed a MacMentor from work and scanned it. It gave me a couple of codes but only one keeps on coming back; "Seat Position Sensor and K-Bus".

I'm wondering how to test it? I checked and I have ~5V on two of the pins and have some resistance on the sensor when it's unplugged. I'd like to know the specs so that I can see what to replace, if it's the issue.

Thanks,

Old 08-14-2012, 08:24 PM
karmacooper
Neutral
I have the exact issue on my wife's 06 Cooper S. Airbag light is constantly on.

The car has a rebuilt title, and I know some airbags deployed during its small accident, but as of right now I have no idea if they were replaced during the rebuild. Unfortunately I cannot get any answers from the guy I purchased the car from, or the guy who rebuilt the car.

Do you know if I had it "reset" by a dealership, and there was a legit problem with the bags, would the light remain on?

If I get any info on this I'll let you know

Old 08-14-2012, 10:46 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by karmacooper
Do you know if I had it "reset" by a dealership, and there was a legit problem with the bags, would the light remain on?
The light will turn on whenever a problem is detected (something disconnected, a sensor not responding, etc), and stay on until reset. If the original problem that triggered the light was corrected, it should stay off after a reset.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:33 AM
Pascalb18
Neutral
That's exactly what happened but...

Originally Posted by rkw
The light will turn on whenever a problem is detected (something disconnected, a sensor not responding, etc), and stay on until reset. If the original problem that triggered the light was corrected, it should stay off after a reset.
Yop... I actually had two codes on my wife's Mini, one for the "passenger seat occupancy"(which I triggered by re-seating all connectors under the seat) and the other one, that I can't get rid of, "seat position sensor and K-BUS". Still looking for that sensor, I read it's suppose to be on the rail but I can't see anything there. I looked on the Net and can't find anything with a picture of the actual sensor's location. I even have a part number but no pictures. If I can find the thing, I'd like to test it. My previous post was wrong... I'm thinking and pretty sure now that I was actually on the seat heater circuit. Next step, if I don't get pictures is to take the seat out and look around!!!

Anyways, if anyone has a picture or two to provide... And, I'm assuming the testing would just be a continuity test... If not, then I'd appreciate some specs.

Has for going to the dealer... If it's only to get/reset the codes, I would find someone, somewhere that has a tool to do it for free, or cheap before long. If not, on the long run, you'll be spending quite a bit of money just to diagnostic all your wife's car problems. I think there is quite a bit of different tools that will work. In this case, my cheap OBD II didn't work for AirBags but MacMentor did.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:26 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Pascalb18
the other one, that I can't get rid of, "seat position sensor and K-BUS". Still looking for that sensor
I believe that there is a sensor in the drivers seat rail to detect how far back the seat is positioned (and thus regulate the force of airbag deployment). I don't know if the passenger seat also has one.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Pascalb18
Neutral
Originally Posted by rkw
I believe that there is a sensor in the drivers seat rail to detect how far back the seat is positioned (and thus regulate the force of airbag deployment). I don't know if the passenger seat also has one.
This is what I also think but couldn't find it, my wife is gone to work but when she's back, I'll have to take the seat out and see if I can find something. I don't think there is one on the passenger side either. I'll get back to you guys with pictures if I find the thing...

Old 08-15-2012, 10:28 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
The seat position sensor is mentioned several times in this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-bad-news.html
That thread is for an R56, but the airbag system on a 1st gen 05/06 has similar design.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Pascalb18
Neutral
Originally Posted by rkw
The seat position sensor is mentioned several times in this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-bad-news.html
That thread is for an R56, but the airbag system on a 1st gen 05/06 has similar design.
Thanks, I looked at this one before and I couldn't find that sensor/switch on the rails of the driver's seat.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Pascalb18
Neutral
Originally Posted by Pascalb18
This is what I also think but couldn't find it, my wife is gone to work but when she's back, I'll have to take the seat out and see if I can find something. I don't think there is one on the passenger side either. I'll get back to you guys with pictures if I find the thing...

Here is my driver seat...

4 x Conectors:
- yellow: Seat AirBag
- Blue: goes to the seat belt latch
- Black: also goes to the seat belt latch
- Black: Heated Seat

Passenger has the same, plus the Seat occupancy sensor.

Why is there two connectors that go to the Seat belt latch?

I'll try getting some pictures loaded to give you a better idea.

Last edited by Pascalb18; 08-15-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Added a picture
Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 PM
TimMc
1st Gear
It looks like a tape style position sensor on the seat rail in the center on the top rail.
I have seen position sensors similar in other applications.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Pascalb18
Neutral
Originally Posted by TimMc
It looks like a tape style position sensor on the seat rail in the center on the top rail.
I have seen position sensors similar in other applications.

I thought the same thing at first but it seem to me like it's just to help pulling the seat back ahead and it doesn't have any wires to it.
It's mounted on the seat and hooked to the front of the bottom rail, it pulls the seat forward, actually pulls pretty hard. Looks like nothing but, seems like a good little system.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:47 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
The sensor for both the seat postion and weight are ONLY on production date jan 2005+ cars...
my 2005, built in late 2004 does not have the dual stage airbags...
several items on the mini were phases in based upon production date to meet goverment regulations in the us....
Just like the change over from rotational based flat tire monitors on most gen1 cars to psi in tire based systems in the last of the gen1 cabrio's.....due to rules dictated by us law.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:49 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
PS you DO have the blue airbag seat connector...look in the photo...bet another is in the dark...not sure which are which, but should have 2 sets...one gor airbag, one for seatbelt latch if the drivers seat...

Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 AM
TimMc
1st Gear
Interesting, I have the same problem as you are having soo this will be intersting to find out what you learn. I have not had time to try and sort mine out yet.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM
brody78
3rd Gear
same here

I have the same EXACT issue with my 06'MCS built in 12/05...... So

I thought mine was the "facelift" mini cars (2005+) weight sensor deal, and that's an $1100 fix, but now I gotta go check for sure....

Glad you posted this, never the less.... TY

Last edited by brody78; 08-17-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Pascalb18
Neutral
The blue Connector?

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
PS you DO have the blue airbag seat connector...look in the photo...bet another is in the dark...not sure which are which, but should have 2 sets...one gor airbag, one for seatbelt latch if the drivers seat...
I have 2 that goes to the seatbelt latch. Are you're saying that the Blue one would be the one for the "Seat Position Sensor"?

Thanks and, BTW you'll find the other picture is better to identify the connectors.

Last edited by Pascalb18; 08-22-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Gusting
1st Gear
Bringing up an old thread...

I have this exact same issue on a 12/06 R52. "Seat position sensor and k-bus" code 72 on the scanner. Has anyone resolved this successfully? I don't know where to start given that the seat position sensor doesn't seem to exist, or is embedded somewhere in the cushion.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:42 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Gusting
Bringing up an old thread...

I have this exact same issue on a 12/06 R52. "Seat position sensor and k-bus" code 72 on the scanner. Has anyone resolved this successfully? I don't know where to start given that the seat position sensor doesn't seem to exist, or is embedded somewhere in the cushion.
Seat position sensor is on the drivers seat rail. See this: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3073616 (post #19)

Old 07-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Gusting
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Seat position sensor is on the drivers seat rail. See this: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3073616 (post #19)
That appears to be for R56 and up. The R50/52/53 do not seem to have the seat position sensor as the code alludes to.

I wonder if certain code readers are giving an erroneous code messages.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Main AirBag Light only. Good Seat sensor.