R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Im thinking about buying a mini s...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 06:15 AM
u4ea
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently have a 1999.5 VW GTI Glx VR6, and 2000 Jetta Glx VR6.

Going to let go of my baby due to problems with crappy dealerships/ service in my area... long long long story.

Anyway...

I am thinking about a Mini S...

If I buy one I know I will wait for the new 2003's. Not sure what will be new aside from hearing about an armrest, maybe 2 keys, and the HK system.

I would like to find out peoples likes/dislikes about the car....

I obviously know I am at an enthusiasts site... so it may be a bit one sided..

I really want to know what to prepare for when I decide to take the spash into the world of the Mini.

Any info you can provide would be great! Hows Mini as a company? Hows the service side? Hows Reliability? etc...

As for what configuration of Mini I would get this is what I have so far based off the 2003 Build your Mini S at miniusa.com

MINI S
1. Premium Package
2. Sports Package
3. Cold Package
4. 17" S-Lite Performance Run Flats (any experience with these?)
5. Auto wipers / and auto dim mirror (have them on both my VW's now, they are great)
6. Leather option just not sure about which color blue or black.
7. The parking beeping thingamabober
8 Not sure on the NAV/Gps System... any input on this???
9. Harmon Kardon System

Not sure about Color of the Car....
I Like the following Colors:
Silver, Electric Blue, Indi Blue, Brit Green, and Dark Silver
or the color of the roof should it match or be white or black....

Not Sure about the bonnets either....

Not sure on the leather the Lapis looks good on the site, but havent seen it in person or any really good photos... any thoughts on the lapis? Would probably look killer with one of the 2 silvers or the indie blue.

Based on the confiurator in at $25,415 w/$5000 trade or down Lease payment is $260 not bad at all =) (+tax, tag etc)

1999.5 VW GTI GLX (thinking REALLY HARD about getting a Mini S)

Old 09-08-2002, 08:38 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
>>If I buy one I know I will wait for the new 2003's. Not sure what will be new aside from hearing about an armrest, maybe 2 keys, and the HK system.

I'm not sure about the availablity of the HK system, I've heard from others that it's still up in the air for 2003, I doubt there's an armrest, but you do get two remote keys...

>>
>>I would like to find out peoples likes/dislikes about the car....
>>

Love the drive, love the looks, love the feel, hate how i have to hug the steering wheel to see stoplights, i get blinded by the sun comming into the side windows too often (the sun visor is of no help there...), If i put my headrest up far enough to be comfortable, it's hard to see out the back window when i turn around, the rear view mirror is badly shaped, and yes, the cupholder problem is almost silly...

but none of thoes 'hates' would EVER make me think twice about buying my MINI... it is the MOST fun i have EVER had driving... and it moves... quickly...

Rocketboy_X

Old 09-08-2002, 10:57 AM
mikegre
1st Gear
The Navigation Systyem is presently an option, but 50 years ago, when air-conditioning was introduced, it too was an option. Today, you can't buy a car without air-conditioning and sooner or later, as people use and become familiar with the navigation systems coming on the market, you won't be able to buy a car (or would even think of buying one, for that matter) without a nav system. I'm very familiar with nav systems, having used one for 15 years on a boat and for the past 3 years on a car (not a mini). Let me tell you, once to learn you can trust the system to get you where you want to go safely and quickly, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. It literally opens up a whole new world of possibilities by letting you jump off the main road and explore different routes, all the while knowing you are never going to get lost. Shortcuts become simple and avoiding traffic jams becomes a snap. Plus, I like the way it looks in the Mini.

Mini S, Indie Blue, white roof, blue & mag interior, Premium, Sport and Cold Weather packages, Nav System, special "Atomic Blaster" horn...just kidding

Old 09-08-2002, 12:25 PM
u4ea
2nd Gear
>>>>If I buy one I know I will wait for the new 2003's. Not sure what will be new aside from hearing about an armrest, maybe 2 keys, and the HK system.
>>
>>I'm not sure about the availablity of the HK system, I've heard from others that it's still up in the air for 2003, I doubt there's an armrest, but you do get two remote keys...
>>
>>>>
>>>>I would like to find out peoples likes/dislikes about the car....
>>>>
>>
>>Love the drive, love the looks, love the feel, hate how i have to hug the steering wheel to see stoplights, i get blinded by the sun comming into the side windows too often (the sun visor is of no help there...), If i put my headrest up far enough to be comfortable, it's hard to see out the back window when i turn around, the rear view mirror is badly shaped, and yes, the cupholder problem is almost silly...
>>
>>but none of thoes 'hates' would EVER make me think twice about buying my MINI... it is the MOST fun i have EVER had driving... and it moves... quickly...
>>
>>
>>Rocketboy_X

Thank you for your input =)

Old 09-08-2002, 12:27 PM
u4ea
2nd Gear
Are you familiar with the mini nav system? Does it work as well as others?
I just need to weight the cost of the system.

BTW thx for the input as well...

Old 09-08-2002, 06:12 PM
DavidG
3rd Gear
>>I currently have a 1999.5 VW GTI Glx VR6, and 2000 Jetta Glx VR6.
>>

>>Not sure on the leather the Lapis looks good on the site, but havent seen it in person or any really good photos... any thoughts on the lapis? Would probably look killer with one of the 2 silvers or the indie blue.

>>1999.5 VW GTI GLX (thinking REALLY HARD about getting a Mini S)

u4ea-
Sounds like we have similar addictions (2000 Golf GTI VR6... TRYING to get a MCS).

If you haven't driven one yet, compared to the VW you'll miss the torque (off the line), but LOVE the handling. I originally wanted the "Chili Red"; but it's primarily available with Black (if you want leather interior). I've been leaning towards the Indi Blue recently (after seeing one with white roof & wheels at the dealer). Also, the Indi MCS comes with the option of the Lapis (blue & black) leather interior. It looks VERY nice, and the leather "feels softer" than some of the black interiors.

I also tried the Nav system at the dealer. Very impressive system; one of the "must have's" on my list.

Since I'm looking for an MCS, I'll probably be taking delivery around the Jan/March time frame. It's POSSIBLE to get a car earlier, but I didn't push too hard since I wanted (a) Indi Blue MCS, (b) auto dim mirror, (c) HK radio, and (d) the Xenon headlights.... all of which are either in short supply, or not available until "Dec '02".

So... go get a couple of test drives, get your name on the list, and enjoy the wait!

Old 09-08-2002, 07:20 PM
zwoman
3rd Gear
I've noticed how stopping at the line at lights make them difficult to see...
I've noticed that it's a little hard to fit all the little things I used to carry in my car in just the glove compartment.

I think the back seat floormats are too cute. The sun-visors are also too cute, but don't serve too much of a purpose.

I like my leatherette, and it's not all that hot in the car...from the front-window at least. Once I get tint on the window, I think that will cut down a lot.

Old 09-08-2002, 07:55 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Yeah the sunvisors are a little rediculous as far as blocking out light is concerned....but at least I have a mirror to do my lipstick in the morning when I am running late for work.....
I am quite possibly the only person not bothered by the cup holders.....if I have a bottled soda or water I just put it in the cupholder between the front seats.....
The glove compartment is fine too if you have a CD case to keep your disks in....for awhile I just kept putting the plastic CD containers in there one by one and every time I would open the door they would explode out all over the place....now I don't have that problem anymore.....I also like the little compartment for your sunglasses (which I also use for my work ID)....now I don't lose them in the car.

Cheers!
L.Mini

Old 09-08-2002, 08:03 PM
zwoman
3rd Gear
??? Sunglasses holder? Clue me in please? Are you talking about the space in either door? That's convenient for stuff like maps and stuff...but I usually don't use that space in any car...but I guess it's pretty big in the MINI so I couls use it... but anyway, what sunglasses holder are you talking about?

Old 09-08-2002, 09:20 PM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
That little pouch in the door of the glove box is the 'sunglasses' holder... Methinks it would also double as a tissue dispenser... But the stop light thing is a total pain,,, And its not like I can part far back from the line, because most of the stoplights where I live are based upon sensors in the road... ugg...

And i'm thinking of putting some netting in that open space above the cupholders in the center console... as long as I'm not using it for heat, it looks like you can fit two bottles of soda or water up there easily (I realize that does not have a direct relation, but if I was going to put a bottle of soda, i wouldn't want it heated up.. (of course, I'm usually not as thirsty in the winter anyways))... I might mount it with velcro, so I can remove it in the winter...

Rocketboy_X