R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Here's the situation...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 09:54 AM
Chef
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are coming out of the grocery store or department store. You see people standing next to your MINI curiously ogling your vehicle. What do you do? Do you approach them? Or do you wait for them to leave? It's very awkward walking up to your own car with people standing around it. I usually watch the lookey-loos from afar admiring my ride and wait for them to leave. I don't mind questions being asked but sometimes I find myself in a conversation that just doesn't end, so I just avoid it. I'm not trying to be unsociable mind you, but after answering the question, "How do you like your MINI?" a dozen times a day, I just want some quiet time.

Old 09-06-2002, 11:32 AM
smurf
3rd Gear
I always smile nicely, but move briskly, putting my stuff in the trunk. By the time I am opening my door, people seem to fade away. I find it amusing when I do approach my car and if someone was peering inside, they look guilty.

Old 09-06-2002, 02:01 PM
Brownielocks
3rd Gear
I don't have mine yet, but here's an idea:

Put a little sign in the window that says: "We Charge 25 cents a peek!" or
"All Fingerprints will be Scanned."

Thus when they come up to the car you can smile and say, "OK, quarters? I don't see any quarters? I gotta pay for this car somehow."

I definitely wouldn't wait for someone to leave to approach my very own car. Geez! It's your car and your life. Take charge of it! I'd just walk up and if they don't walk away and want to chat and ask questions I'd just say "I have time for one question then I have to dash. Sorry."

Silence is rather rude when you know you're going to get attention. But just limit the personal space they are invading in your private life.

Old 09-06-2002, 02:17 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
Chef, what city are you in?? I get mine tomorrow so I will see what it's all about.

Old 09-06-2002, 05:33 PM
Chef
1st Gear
Memphis, TN

Old 09-06-2002, 05:54 PM
DavidG
3rd Gear
Please be a LITTLE nice to those of us who are still waiting (and LOOKING)! When I saw my first MINI, I pulled my car over to the side of the road, got out, and walked up to the owner (expecting an enthusiastic "car nut&quot. The guy was so gruff I really felt embarrassed.

We need to uphold the image of MINI owners! Let's try to at least reflect the energy & positive attitude of the MCO!

(...frustrated lookey-loo who is waiting for his MCS)

Old 09-06-2002, 06:55 PM
davequick
2nd Gear
>Please be a LITTLE nice to those of us who are still waiting
>(and LOOKING)! When I saw my first MINI, I pulled my car
>over to the side of the road, got out, and walked up to the
>owner (expecting an enthusiastic "car nut&quot. The guy was so
>gruff I really felt embarrassed.
>
>We need to uphold the image of MINI owners! Let's try to at
>least reflect the energy & positive attitude of the MCO!
>
>(...frustrated lookey-loo who is waiting for his MCS)

Ferrari owners suffer from the stuck up/gruff rep as well - the northwest region of the ferrari club of america has an awesome set of sugestions on how to combat that image. It's at: http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/etiquette.html

There is no reason Joe Martz's (very friendly, helpful, and nice owner of several exotics) ettiquette can't be strived for in any unique car owner community. Replace 'exotic' with 'unique' throughout this quote and you'll see what I mean:

1. My cars will always be clean and well presentable. I will ensure that my cars are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics are indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present these cars to others at a high standard.

2. I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I meet.

3. Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.

4. With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my cars on open public roads.

5. Operating my cars as God, Enzo, and Ferruccio intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.

6. I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I.

7. I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced.

8. I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets.
I just really like the idea that other people will be decent and friendly with me if I'm interested in their car if I am decent and friendly when they ask about any of mine.

-dq

Old 09-06-2002, 09:50 PM
Chef
1st Gear
>>>Please be a LITTLE nice to those of us who are still waiting
>>>(and LOOKING)! When I saw my first MINI, I pulled my car
>>>over to the side of the road, got out, and walked up to the
>>>owner (expecting an enthusiastic "car nut&quot. The guy was so
>>>gruff I really felt embarrassed.
>>>
>>>We need to uphold the image of MINI owners! Let's try to at
>>>least reflect the energy & positive attitude of the MCO!
>>>
>>>(...frustrated lookey-loo who is waiting for his MCS)
>>
>>Ferrari owners suffer from the stuck up/gruff rep as well - the northwest region of the ferrari club of america has an awesome set of sugestions on how to combat that image. It's at: http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/etiquette.html
>>
>>There is no reason Joe Martz's (very friendly, helpful, and nice owner of several exotics) ettiquette can't be strived for in any unique car owner community. Replace 'exotic' with 'unique' throughout this quote and you'll see what I mean:
>>
>>
>>1. My cars will always be clean and well presentable. I will ensure that my cars are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics are indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present these cars to others at a high standard.
>>
>>2. I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I meet.
>>
>>3. Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.
>>
>>4. With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my cars on open public roads.
>>
>>5. Operating my cars as God, Enzo, and Ferruccio intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.
>>
>>6. I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I.
>>
>>7. I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced.
>>
>>8. I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets.
>>
>>
>>I just really like the idea that other people will be decent and friendly with me if I'm interested in their car if I am decent and friendly when they ask about any of mine.
>>
>>-dq

Don't misunderstand me. I'm always polite and never gruff. I always wave or honk at other MINI's I see (although there have been only a handful). In fact, I know one guy who stopped me at a friends store and queried me and he drove up to my house on Sunday with his brand new yellow MINI. Think I could get a commission John Lloyd at Roadshow? A little referral fee to use on MINI stuff?

Old 09-06-2002, 10:00 PM
mini-g.
3rd Gear
I have been enjoying my Mini since May. Have had many encounters, day in and day out. When I walk up to my Mini and folks are standing around, or am caught inside her with passers by wanting to know 'how I like the car', etc.etc. I wait and see what type of folks are questioning me. If they seem like Mini people...I roll out the red carpet. All questions answered and free advice given. If they are not nice and not the Mini type, I am still polite to them, but I continue on with whatever I am doing at the time, leaving many questions unanswered.
Motor On!!

Old 09-06-2002, 10:08 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear

I just love that! :smile: Very nicely put. It is a bit of an awkward situation to return to your car (or get out of it) and have a crowd staring. (Although it hasn't happened to me yet. They're gone by the time I return to my car.) You're just waiting for the "What is it?" or "How do you like it?" questions that you hear over and over. But just smile and think back to the first time you saw one in person- remember how excited and in awe you were? Well, that's just what those looky-loos are feeling about YOUR car! You should be proud of that. Not as many people walk up to a Porsche any more to stare and drool. I agree with smurf, people do look guilty when they realize the car's owner has seen them staring because I know I have. But why should they? You haven't done anything wrong (as long as you didn't touch it). I just don't get that. Anyway... I think the MINI makes people smile and feel happy just looking at it, so they assume that whomever drives it must be a happy person (since they get to have so much fun driving) and will be happy to answer questions or smile back. Eh?

Old 09-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Brownielocks
3rd Gear
>>Please be a LITTLE nice to those of us who are still waiting (and LOOKING)! When I saw my first MINI, I pulled my car over to the side of the road, got out, and walked up to the owner (expecting an enthusiastic "car nut&quot. The guy was so gruff I really felt embarrassed.
>>
>>We need to uphold the image of MINI owners! Let's try to at least reflect the energy & positive attitude of the MCO!
>>
>>(...frustrated lookey-loo who is waiting for his MCS)

David,

I agree with you to well...an extent.

I also own a classic, mint-conditon 1976 (4-door) Red Maverick. I get a lotof stares. I get everyone asking me "What's the year?" etc.

Sometimes I have time to chat. Othertimes, well I just don't. I've got an appointment or I have just purchased groceries and as they want to chat my ice cream is melting!

So POLITE is a two-way street.

I do think ignoring and silence is definitely rude! But, the amount of time you want to chat with strangers should be up to you, not the Lookie-Looers.

Old 09-07-2002, 01:33 PM
DavidG
3rd Gear

>>8. I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets.
>>[/quote

Not a bad set of rules to live by; whether a Ferrari, or a MINI. This also ensures nurturing an attitude in future "car folks" that makes them ENJOY being around fine machinery. (after all; we don't want the next generation of voters OUTLAWING fun cars!)

Old 09-07-2002, 01:37 PM
DavidG
3rd Gear

>>I do think ignoring and silence is definitely rude! But, the amount of time you want to chat with strangers should be up to you, not the Lookie-Looers.

...nope, you're right. One always has to evaluate each situation. Based on the responses to this thread, I think the MCO folks will ensure OTHER people smile when they see a MINI, as well.

Old 09-07-2002, 05:49 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
"I think the MCO folks will ensure OTHER people smile when they see a MINI"

Of course they will! After all..... MCO has the best MINI enthusiasts around!
SW

Old 09-07-2002, 06:06 PM
deering
2nd Gear
I liked the "car rules" but I am a bit leary of #3. It says I will welcome people to sit in my car/give them a ride. (not verbatum, but you get the drift) I am 5'3" woman, and if I am alone I just don't encourage people too much. It would be my luck to be giving MINI advice to a serial killer. :smile: When my husband got his PT Cruiser, it was one of the first ones and we always had lookey loos. If I was alone and came back to a stranger lingering by the car, I would press the remote to lock it. Even though it was already locked that would make the car honk it's horn and the person would scatter like a cockroach when the light is flipped on! I don't recommend this kind of antisocial behavior, but if you are a woman alone, and get a weird vibe it is better safe than sorry! I would be more than happy to answer questions or even let someone sit in it if it is daylight, or I am with someone else.

Old 09-07-2002, 08:19 PM
davequick
2nd Gear
deering said:
>I liked the "car rules" but I am a bit leary of #3. It says I will welcome people to sit in my car/give them a ride. (not verbatum, but you get the drift) I am 5'3" woman, and if I am alone I just don't encourage people too much. It would be my luck to be giving MINI advice to a serial killer. :smile:

I'm not saying to invite them to sit on your lap. :smile:

Anyway - I just always found myself thinking back to this list of the most possitive behaviors that I like in others I encounter and hopefully come close to emulating myself.

-dq

The MCS will be mine, oh yes... it will be mine. (Build date = Sept 27, 2002 - pure silver, black roof + mirrors, combos #1+#2+#3, S-Lites with all-season tires, black bonnet stripes, Anthracite interior)

Old 09-07-2002, 09:40 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
I live in the Annapolis area of MD. and get alot of questions as well. I think ALL MINI owners do/will. I even have a joke with my husband about handing out info printouts. <G> It's kinda fun in a way...but I can see folks' points if one is in a hurry. Just remember the golden rule. Usually that works best, doncha think?