R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:25 AM
StillK
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wheel Bearings

Anyone replace their own wheel bearings (hubs). It sounds like my front right bearing has gone bad - howling noise that increases and decreases with speed. My mechanic also told me to replace both ? Not sure why and don't want to spend the $ unless it is a good idea.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CV Joints in the front end. It's usually far easier and sometimes cheaper to replace the whole axle assembly with a rebuilt unit.

If there IS a bearing in there outside of the CV joints (don't have my manual handy), I wouldn't worry about replacing both sides.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:50 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit801
CV Joints in the front end. It's usually far easier and sometimes cheaper to replace the whole axle assembly with a rebuilt unit.

If there IS a bearing in there outside of the CV joints (don't have my manual handy), I wouldn't worry about replacing both sides.
But, he's talking about hub/wheel bearings. Not axles. Axles will usually either pop or click when they're bad. Bearing whine or howl with speed. Another test, grab the sides or top and bottom of the wheel and rock it. See how much deflection you get.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:56 AM
Qksquirt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never done them on a MINI. but on any front wheel drive I've ever done them on, they must be pressed in. You have to take the hub completely off and take it somewhere to get the bearing pressed out and then the new one pressed in. Your tech is probablly telling you to do both sides because there is either a history of MINI's either going bad at almost the same time or a preventive maintainance thing.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:09 AM
Mr.GBMiniGirl
2nd Gear
i replaced my driver's side wheel hub last July. I'm considering doing the passenger side this week!

02-06 S 31226756889 these retail for $206 each

At these prices I'd replace one at a time! It is very easy to do and there is no bearing pressing etc!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
If you're getting a howling noise, it's definitely the wheel hub bearing; they go bad on occasion.

The wheel hubs are held on with 4 bolts you have to access from behind the hub/knuckle assembly. The hubs themselves are $161/each from Classic MINI, but be sure to get a new axle nut and 4 hub bolts while you're in there. It's a bit of a frustrating job to do, but not impossible.

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 08-31-2007, 05:15 AM
goblue96
1st Gear
Here's a possibly related question: I have a 2002 MC with about 40,000 miles on it. I've noticed lately that there seems to be a sort of rhythmic but light grinding sound when the car is in motion. It really sounds like someone is rubbing one piece of metal across another one. It's not very loud and I can only hear it when there is something around the car to reflect sound back to me. For example, I hear it while driving at about 10mph when I pull into the parking lot at work that has narrow aisles and lots of cars in it. For a while it seemed like it only happened after I had been driving the car for a while, not when the car was cold, but I might just have not been hearing it right away.

When I step on the brakes it seems to stop, but I know it is not the brakes because I just replaced the front pads and the rears were fine. It sounds like something that is rotating.

Since it's not the brakes, is there anything else it could be besides the wheel bearings?

Old 08-31-2007, 06:16 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StillK
Anyone replace their own wheel bearings (hubs). It sounds like my front right bearing has gone bad - howling noise that increases and decreases with speed. My mechanic also told me to replace both ? Not sure why and don't want to spend the $ unless it is a good idea.
Originally Posted by Mr.GBMiniGirl
i replaced my driver's side wheel hub last July. I'm considering doing the passenger side this week!

02-06 S 31226756889 these retail for $206 each

At these prices I'd replace one at a time! It is very easy to do and there is no bearing pressing etc!
If either of you would like to get rid of the old hub/bearing assembly let me know.
I need it for experimental purposes. Thanks.

EDIT: Of course I would pay the shipping and for the part. Thanks.

Last edited by Partsman; 08-31-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 AM
70spop
6th Gear
Just had my driver's side bearing replaced the other day. It was clicking at low speed, not howling. I thought it would have been the axle/cv joint, but the clicking is gone now.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:07 AM
MOE4me
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by goblue96
Here's a possibly related question: I have a 2002 MC with about 40,000 miles on it. I've noticed lately that there seems to be a sort of rhythmic but light grinding sound when the car is in motion. It really sounds like someone is rubbing one piece of metal across another one. It's not very loud and I can only hear it when there is something around the car to reflect sound back to me. For example, I hear it while driving at about 10mph when I pull into the parking lot at work that has narrow aisles and lots of cars in it. For a while it seemed like it only happened after I had been driving the car for a while, not when the car was cold, but I might just have not been hearing it right away.

When I step on the brakes it seems to stop, but I know it is not the brakes because I just replaced the front pads and the rears were fine. It sounds like something that is rotating.

Since it's not the brakes, is there anything else it could be besides the wheel bearings?
Did you have the rotors ground when you replaced your pads? if not, the new pads may be settling into the shape of your rotors, or not fully springing back to the rest position (i.e. rubbing on the rotor - remember, the floating portion of the assembly is now sitting quite a way from where it was when you replaced the pads) causing the rubbing sound.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:54 AM
goblue96
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MOE4me
Did you have the rotors ground when you replaced your pads? if not, the new pads may be settling into the shape of your rotors, or not fully springing back to the rest position (i.e. rubbing on the rotor - remember, the floating portion of the assembly is now sitting quite a way from where it was when you replaced the pads) causing the rubbing sound.
The front rotors looked good - a very, very tiny lip (I plan on new rotors next time the pads are low) but the old pads didn't show any sign of anything unusual (strange wear, grooves, etc).

Now that I think about it, I didn't really look hard at the rear rotors. I had the rear wheels off so I could check both the inner and outer pads, but didn't specifically check the rotors once I saw the pads still had about 80% of their original thickness.

I hadn't considered I might still be getting rotor noise. To be honest, the sound really does remind me of a brake problem, that's what got me in there to realize we needed new front pads in the first place.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:16 PM
PEZdragon
1st Gear
My pass. side wheel bearing went out a few weeks ago at 11,000 miles. In just a few days the rumbling noise got quite bad. Dealer fix was under warrenty but they has to order the part and would not let me have the car back citing a safty hazzard until fixed. Not somthing you want to put off...PEZ