R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New Peugeot Engine V.S Current Chrysler Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 05:27 AM
badboyzbadboyz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just been reading posts about the new Peugeot engine which might be coming as early as 2005 but do you think this engine will be faster than the current engine in the MINI ? Mainly with the MINI cooper, as that will probably remain a naturally aspirated engine. Like to know what you think.

BadboyzBadboyz

Old 06-11-2003, 06:22 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Judging from how these things always seem to work, I'm sure there will be at least an incremental increase in horsepower/torque with the new engine (most likely along with a corresponding drop in fuel economy). I don't know if it's just the US market or what, but car makers seem convinced that they can't maintain people's interest in a car if the hp doesn't jump 10% (and the size/weight of the car increase as well) every few years. I really hope that BMW resists this formula with the MINI. I think the car has plenty of pep now, and to me there's a big difference between 28/37 mpg and 25/35 mpg.

All of that said, I have absolutely zero actual information to answer your question with...

Old 06-11-2003, 06:28 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
I don´t know if the peugeot engine will be completely new, but right now they have a 2.0 liter engine that produces 138 HP. This engine is used in the Peugeot 206 GTI, a car similar in size to the Mini, and considering the weight of the car, it does make an improvement. There is also an RC version that pumps out 180 HP from the same engine.

I would assume a new engine would have more power than the actual one, so we should expect at least something around 150HP.

Old 06-11-2003, 06:35 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
Same here, I have zero factual information on this.
That said, I would say this:
Peugeot makes some highly remarkable engines. Since they mostly produce for the European (and also world wide except for North America) market, they place prime value on fuel economy. Peugeot makes some of the best engines IMHO when it comes to combining economy and performance. I remember reading a review in a British car mag some time ago of two Peugeot sports coupes powered by turbo diesel engines. Both had about 170 hp, both would beat the MCS off the line with 0-60 times under 6 seconds, and both got over 50 mpg hwy. Quite a feat.
I would expect the new Peugeot engine to have some significant improvements over the current Tri-Tec engine, as it will be a more recent design. I would expect it to have slightly higher power, and at the same time a slightly better fuel economy.
IMHO the MINIs already have plenty of power, and I would hope they would focus most on improving economy, while maintaining the current level of high performance.
Cheerio,
M.

Old 06-11-2003, 06:46 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
>>I remember reading a review in a British car mag some time ago of two Peugeot sports coupes powered by turbo diesel engines. Both had about 170 hp, both would beat the MCS off the line with 0-60 times under 6 seconds, and both got over 50 mpg hwy. Quite a feat.
>>I would expect the new Peugeot engine to have some significant improvements over the current Tri-Tec engine, as it will be a more recent design. I would expect it to have slightly higher power, and at the same time a slightly better fuel economy.<<

Very cool. That's encouraging to hear, even if it doesn't necessarily pertain to the MINI (yet). Thanks!

Old 06-11-2003, 06:55 AM
gosharks
4th Gear
My local MINI dealer mentioned to me last Saturday that the Peugeot motor will be 2.8 liters, no other details but I don't beleive this will be in MINI's before the 2005 model year. The current contract with Chrysler is for 5 years.

Old 06-11-2003, 07:49 AM
C4
Banned
>>My local MINI dealer mentioned to me last Saturday that the Peugeot motor will be 2.8 liters, no other details but I don't beleive this will be in MINI's before the 2005 model year. The current contract with Chrysler is for 5 years.

2.8 liters? what???? That will never fit inside the MINI! That's the typical size of a V6 engine by the way. Probably you meant 1.8L? (Still a pretty tight fit in the current car).

I am sorry to burst everyone's bubble here, but the PSA-Peugeot engines will not be coming at least until 2007-2008 when the next generation MINI (Code named MKII) which will be a bit bigger than the current car debuts in the market.

I have been to Europe a few times during the last 3 years and have seen some of the wonderful cars that Peugeot is currently producing. However, I have no reliability information whatsoever on those vehicles. If you want Peugeot's reliability record in the US, the earliest you will find will be for the year 1991 when they last pulled out of the US market.

In Europe, French cars still have a pretty spotty reliability reputation so don't think for a minute that the the grass will be any greener with the new joint venture Peugeot engines but I could be wrong.

Anything that is being discussed here about the Peugeot engines is pure speculation up to this point.

I personally like very much the current 1.6L TRITEC engines. Simple design, sturdy, reliable, powerful, economical and smooth for a small 4 banger.

Old 06-11-2003, 10:18 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
From what I've always heard about Peugeots is that the engines are great, too bad about the rest of the car... but my guess would be a slight improvment, but I'm not sure MINI wants all of their cars to be super-fast...

Rocketboy_X

Old 06-11-2003, 10:27 AM
gosharks
4th Gear
>>>>My local MINI dealer mentioned to me last Saturday that the Peugeot motor will be 2.8 liters, no other details but I don't beleive this will be in MINI's before the 2005 model year. The current contract with Chrysler is for 5 years.
>>
>>
>>2.8 liters? what???? That will never fit inside the MINI! That's the typical size of a V6 engine by the way. Probably you meant 1.8L? (Still a pretty tight fit in the current car).
>>
>>I am sorry to burst everyone's bubble here, but the PSA-Peugeot engines will not be coming at least until 2007-2008 when the next generation MINI (Code named MKII) which will be a bit bigger than the current car debuts in the market.
>>
>>I have been to Europe a few times during the last 3 years and have seen some of the wonderful cars that Peugeot is currently producing. However, I have no reliability information whatsoever on those vehicles. If you want Peugeot's reliability record in the US, the earliest you will find will be for the year 1991 when they last pulled out of the US market.
>>
>>In Europe, French cars still have a pretty spotty reliability reputation so don't think for a minute that the the grass will be any greener with the new joint venture Peugeot engines but I could be wrong.
>>
>>Anything that is being discussed here about the Peugeot engines is pure speculation up to this point.
>>
>>I personally like very much the current 1.6L TRITEC engines. Simple design, sturdy, reliable, powerful, economical and smooth for a small 4 banger.

Sorry, coffee hadn't kicked in yet this morning, 1.8L is correct!

Old 06-11-2003, 02:49 PM
minifinn
4th Gear
I wonder if the corporate politics were put aside, would MINI change the engines? IMHO, the one thing Chrysler does well is engines. I wonder if the same heritige of durability+performance exists with Peugeot? I don't see many older Peugeot performance motors.

Old 06-11-2003, 03:03 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
>>I wonder if the corporate politics were put aside, would MINI change the engines? IMHO, the one thing Chrysler does well is engines. >>>

Chrysler has a reputation on SOME of their HIGH-PERFORMANCE engines. Their "regular" engines have developed a reputation of dying many many miles too early. My wife's NEON lasted 28k miles before her engine needed all sorts of work - almost needed to be completely rebuilt. I've known almost a handful of people with chrysler MINIVANS over the past 10 yrs whose cars died in the 40-70k miles range. I'd seriously worry about the average Chrysler engine.

I'm REALLY glad that they worked on a supercharged version. Therefore, HOPEFULLY, both engines will be reliable b/c they were designed with sportiness in mind.
:smile:

Old 06-11-2003, 03:47 PM
C4
Banned
The problem with the Chrysler and Dodge Minivans was not the engines but rather their defective 4-speed automatic transmissions. Also if you take quasi-obessive care of your engine (No matter who makes it) it will last with very few of no problems.

Old 06-11-2003, 04:01 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BTW It most likely will be the '06-'07 model year when the new engine is introduced - not '05

Old 06-11-2003, 04:56 PM
5280Motoring
5th Gear
>> Also if you take quasi-obessive care of your engine (No matter who makes it) it will last with very few of no problems.

Conversely, if you neglect your car, it won't last. Chrysler always had a good powertrain warranty and in many cases, I feel the owners didn't take as good of care of their cars figuring they were covered.

Old 06-12-2003, 06:53 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
Peugeot has been selling cars for over 5 years now in Mexico, they have several engines ranging from a 1.4 liter to a 3.0 liter V6. From what I know they have proved very reliable and with few problems.

I haven´t raced any peugeot, but I bet that a peugeot 306 with the 2.0 liter engine (138 hp) can probably go head to head with my Mini.

I personally like my Mini´s engine. Modern 1.6 - 1.7 liter engines achieve an excellent balance of performance and gas mileage. It is a combination of the power to weight ratio and the gear setting what makes a car go faster.

From what I have seen, cars with regular 2.0 liter engines do not prove to be any faster than the smaller displacement engines, and the later are really good on you wallet when it´s time to fill up.

Example: Take a Jetta, Focus, Neon, Civic and Corolla. They are all about the same in terms of engine performance. The civic and corolla take the crown when it comes to gas mileage without doubt.