R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Stalling when the AC is on.

Old 06-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Needler
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I turned my AC on for the first time last week. Soon after, I was going through a traffic circle, hesitated to look for oncoming traffic, when to shift into first and had no engine power. I had stalled (in moving traffic, no less )

I figured it was a fluke, so I thought nothing of it. At the next light, it happened again. Since then, it's happened a dozen times. Unless I keep the RPMs revved over 1200 or so, it seems to happen.

Anyone else noticed this, or is this something I should take to my dealer? I realize the AC stresses the engine, but I've not had this happen with other vehicles.

Thanks in advance...

Needler

Old 06-06-2003, 12:35 PM
C4
Banned
You need to get software update version 33.2. Your stalling problems are due to defective engine management controlling software. Your factory calibration is causing the engine to drop RPMs below 800 and causing a near or complete stall with the A/C on.

Call MINIUSA (1-866-ASK-MINI) for further details.

Old 06-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Needler
4th Gear
>>You need to get software update version 33.2. Your stalling problems are due to defective engine management controlling software. Your factory calibration is causing the engine to drop RPMs below 800 and causing a near or complete stall with the A/C on.
>>
>>Call MINIUSA (1-866-ASK-MINI) for further details.

Thanks, Cooper4Us!
:smile:

Old 06-06-2003, 02:02 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Thanks from me too-Haven't had the A/C on much since it's been so cool but I stalled last week & it seems to stress the engine especiall when backing up. My car was built in Feb 2003.
Thanks
Lois

Old 06-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Needler
4th Gear
>>Thanks from me too-Haven't had the A/C on much since it's been so cool but I stalled last week & it seems to stress the engine especiall when backing up. My car was built in Feb 2003.
>>Thanks
>>Lois
>>

And mine was built in Jan 03. It seems that a computer upgrade on such new models would be uncalled for, but I guess not!

Old 06-06-2003, 05:06 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
>>You need to get software update version 33.2. Your stalling problems are due to defective engine management controlling software. Your factory calibration is causing the engine to drop RPMs below 800 and causing a near or complete stall with the A/C on.
>>
>>Call MINIUSA (1-866-ASK-MINI) for further details.

When did this software update come out? I was at the dealer in mid-April (just before Easter) and they told me that I had the latest software. TIA.

Old 06-06-2003, 05:09 PM
Lolo
3rd Gear
Thanks from me as well. I thought it was just me.

Lolo

Picked up on 12/3/02 one All Black MINI.
...and on the eight day the MINI was created, and it was good.

Old 06-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Update to 33.2 and you may get 1st gear stumble. Eeek!! I know I did! MINI supposedly is aware and "working on it". Sorry to scare you, but just thought I'd let you know what you might be in for.

What's the stumble you ask? Here's a good place to start your reading on the stumble.

R

Old 06-06-2003, 07:42 PM
C4
Banned
>>Update to 33.2 and you may get 1st gear stumble. Eeek!! I know I did! MINI supposedly is aware and "working on it". Sorry to scare you, but just thought I'd let you know what you might be in for.
>>
>>What's the stumble you ask? Here's a good place to start your reading on the stumble.
>>
>>R
Dave:

You are talking about the MCS. Results may vary for the 5-speed Cooper. Keep that in mind.

Old 06-07-2003, 09:00 AM
FUN2MTR
1st Gear
I am having similar issues with my April 03 built MC w/5 spd. I have noticed two different issues with the AC on. The first is extremely frustrating and the second is just annoying.

First is the bogging problem at take off that I can get around with either a higher than normal rpm level when letting out the clutch or getting the clutch fully let out at low rpm and then accelerating. Neither of these is what I would consider "normal" driving. In reading the "stumble" thread provided by Davbret it sounds like the MCS owners also are using the slow start method. Another solution is just leaving the AC off, however when it is near 100 degrees f that is simply not an option.

Second is that when I depress the clutch when coming to a stop (or for longer than normal between gears) it feels like the engine shakes as though it is nearly dying, but it has never actually stalled. My concern here is excessive wear on things like motor mounts and the basic fact that the MINI should not do this.

I am glad to hear that I am not alone and hope that a solution is near for all of us. I am otherwise totally happy with my MINI but unfortunately have to tell folks about this when they ask about any problems.

Old 06-07-2003, 04:07 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
"Second is that when I depress the clutch when coming to a stop (or for longer than normal between gears) it feels like the engine shakes as though it is nearly dying, but it has never actually stalled. My concern here is excessive wear on things like motor mounts and the basic fact that the MINI should not do this"

I have noticed the same thing also-more pronounced with the AC on. Called the dealer yesterday & of course I got the song & dance about cars losing power with the AC on. I've driven many 4 cyl cars with the air on & have never encountered this problem. Needless to say, I have an appointment next week to take MINI in.
Lois

Old 06-09-2003, 06:01 AM
wongakh
1st Gear
Guys, you are notalone with this problem over in the state! I am in Hong Kong and my MC with the same problem too, i.e. when clutch in during stopping the car, the rev will drop real low. It doesn't happen all the time but enough to make you crazy! I took the car back to the dealer last week, they loaded the software and claimed that the problem may also have something to do with my after market spark plug which were not tighten in enough. Anway, the low rev problem happened once after the service.

Old 06-09-2003, 08:08 AM
Needler
4th Gear
UPDATE:

(I made a seperate post titled "Stalling with AC, Part II; The BREAKDOWN" for the whole story. It's on the next page of threads, now, I think).

My stalling problem became a total breakdown. So, if you are having the stalling problem and you SERVICE ENGINE SOON light comes on, you're likely to break down very soon, so get someplace safe if you notice an increasing loss of engine power.

I'll find out what the problem is today (HOPEFULLY) and let you all know here on this thread and the other one.

Old 06-09-2003, 08:11 AM
C4
Banned
I would not be surprised that your car needs a new Throttle body control and a new engine wiring harness.

Also request to have the DME software updated to version 33.2.

Good luck.

Old 06-09-2003, 08:29 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
>>I would not be surprised that your car needs a new Throttle body control and a new engine wiring harness.
>>
>>Also request to have the DME software updated to version 33.2.
>>
>>Good luck.

I hope that's only if the car totally breaks down
:???: :???: :???:
My appt is on Wednesday, so I don't think I'll run the AC since that's what seems to stress the engine. Unfortunately the weather is finally warming up here in St. Louis.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Needler
4th Gear
>>I would not be surprised that your car needs a new Throttle body control and a new engine wiring harness.
>>
>>Also request to have the DME software updated to version 33.2.
>>
>>Good luck.

Hey, Cooper4us! You were right on. They are replacing what you suggested, but they didn't mention the updated software. I'll call in the morning about that.

Thanks so much!
:smile: