F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Engine Light ON F56s

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 10:27 AM
chowpott
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine Light ON F56s

Dear All

I am struggling with the engine light. I went into a local mini garage to have my exhaust replace with JCW exhaust. After the replacement, the engine light turned on. The local garage spent 3 days checking the system but couldn't find the problem.

So they took the mini back to the dealer, and spent another 2 days checking the system, but the dealer couldn't find the problem either.

Is been 2 weeks that no one seems to know what to do with my MINI. Can anyone suggest what I should do next?

I had posted the same problem in UK web site but with no luck either.

Thank you so much.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
What kind of "engine light" are you referring to? If it's the generic OBDII yellow engine light, then the shops should've plugged in their OBDII diagnostic tool and read the code.

It doesn't take 3 days to read an OBDII code, it takes a max of 30 seconds.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:23 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes, very curious as to what code was pulled. Are you able to post the code for us?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-02-2015, 08:16 AM
chowpott
Neutral
Engine Lights On

Thank you all, they can't provide me with the code at all ( and I have no idea why) A friend of mine from NJ suggest that since I had replaced my air in-take with NW Eng. Hi-Flow Intake and JCW exhaust kit that I need to adjust the MAF , and suggest me to unplug the sensor then disconnect the batteries and let the computer reset.

I passed all these information to the garage, I am not sure whether they will listen to my advise.

I ordered a Multi system diagnostic tool from the UK yesterday just in case.

I believe the garage is trying to modify the computer setting at the moment to accommodate all the modification. I hope they know what they doing.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I'd put the car back to stock and do one thing at a time, or leave it stock.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:49 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Yes, very curious as to what code was pulled. Are you able to post the code for us?
I know I'm a little out of forum on this but I helped my buddy change the oil and filter on his 2013 R56S (I hope the engineers got taken out back and flogged for that design!) and the car ran fine for about 30 seconds when we were done then threw two codes : P052B and P013C. These were VANOS codes according to what I could find on the internet. We had good oil pressure within seconds after the usual dip to push the air out of the system. We disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes, but the codes can right back when restarting. Can anybody help with a troubleshooting sequence as to what/where to check to isolate and fix the problem?

Last edited by papawhiskey; 10-19-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:58 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by chowpott
Thank you all, they can't provide me with the code at all ( and I have no idea why) A friend of mine from NJ suggest that since I had replaced my air in-take with NW Eng. Hi-Flow Intake and JCW exhaust kit that I need to adjust the MAF , and suggest me to unplug the sensor then disconnect the batteries and let the computer reset.

I passed all these information to the garage, I am not sure whether they will listen to my advise.

I ordered a Multi system diagnostic tool from the UK yesterday just in case.

I believe the garage is trying to modify the computer setting at the moment to accommodate all the modification. I hope they know what they doing.
The code is probably a proprietary MINI code and not recognized by a generica OBD2 scanner. You will not need to adjust the MAF or any other DME maps with those modifications. There's a problem with the installation.

Start with getting the correct code, or bringing it to a qualified shop.

Do not try putting other performance parts on the car until this problem is solved.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:05 AM
chowpott
Neutral
Angry F56s Engine Light

Dear All

Thank you so much for your help. What happened was, the garage had to welded the JCW exhaust to the car, the welder didn't switch the car off completely and accidentally damaged the on-board computer. So they had no choice but to order a new computer from mini to replace the damaged one. I possibly can my car back after 2 months this week.

;(

Old 10-19-2015, 08:37 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
I know I'm a little out of forum on this but I helped my buddy change the oil and filter on his 2013 R56S (I hope the engineers got taken out back and flogged for that design!) and the car ran fine for about 30 seconds when we were done then threw two codes : P052B and P013C. These were VANOS codes according to what I could find on the internet. We had good oil pressure within seconds after the usual dip to push the air out of the system. We disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes, but the codes can right back when restarting. Can anybody help with a troubleshooting sequence as to what/where to check to isolate and fix the problem?
Start a new thread for this instead of getting lost in here. Is the car stock or modified in some way?