Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon, and Alaska

Legitimate report of a stolen MINI!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:34 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Legitimate report of a stolen MINI!

Disclaimer: I don't know this person but she lives in my neighborhood of West Seattle. I've waved to her but she doesn't seem to notice the other MINI. Needless to say, she's not a member of our local club. But I thought I'd try to help out. She posted the following on our neighborhood news blog, West Seattle Blog, yesterday (6/20/10):

jen stinespring

My 2003 Mini Cooper, dark green, was stolen last night between the hours of 2am-430am, from 4210 SW Admiral Way. It was parked in one of the covered parking spaces in front of the dry cleaner's, directly across the street from Jack in the Box. The car has vanity plates reading TRICKI, as well as several identifying stickers: Feedback Lounge sticker on the gas tank, a red Pearl Jam stickman on the back windshield as well as Pearl Jam and Sleater Kinney stickers on the back panel. If anyone sees or hears anything that could help in recovering the vehicle please contact Jen by email westcoastjen8@aol.com. THANK YOU!

After getting some questions about where it was parked, who has the keys, could it have been towed, etc., she posted this today (6/21/10):

jen stinespring

There is no way they could have a key to the car, have the only two keys...According to police there has been a rise in auto theft, some is believed to be gang-related (initiations and such)...I have no idea how they did it (master key maybe?)but there was no glass and it was done quickly and quietly, so they definitely knew what they were doing!
Definitely was not towed, tow records and lots have been checked and re-checked. Still no leads... Very, very sad :(

Is there such a thing as a MINI master key? I wouldn't think that would be a good idea as it would sort of defeat the unique key blade and chip protection. Master keys have a way of "getting out there".

Anyway, if you see "TRICKI" please let Jen know.

Thanks-

Val

Old 06-21-2010, 09:30 PM
VMCMDN
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well this sucks, I hope she finds her baby soon unmolested. I don't understand how they were able to steal it but I think it would be a good idea for us not to try to guess how they did it, because that will just give other possible car jackers ideas.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
It could have been towed away (obviously not to a legitimate tow lot). On the MINI2.com forum there are occasional reports of MINI theft in the UK, usually by towing or sometimes by stolen keys after a break-in to a residence.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 PM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of the thefts are by tow truck drivers. Good luck here...hope you get it back in good condition.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:35 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Stealing a car by towing it is what is happening.

You go into a shopping center. A person with a ****** & grab tow rig on a pickup truck can have your front wheel drive car gone in a split second. They know that 99% of the people do not use the parking brake so it is easy for them to just lift the front wheels off the ground and drive away.

I always try to pull into a space so if they wanted my car they would have to lift it by the rear and try to drag it. It seems thought that enough cars parked do not have anything in front of them or they will back into a space.

Auto theft should carry the """DEATH PENALTY"" and not just a slap on the wrist.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:28 PM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ronnie948
They know that 99% of the people do not use the parking brake so it is easy for them to just lift the front wheels off the ground and drive away.
Auto theft should carry the """DEATH PENALTY"" and not just a slap on the wrist.
They will also Oil the ground so the car slides easily out of the parking place. Death Penalty...In Phila a car crook will go to court and get slapped on the wrist. He will then leave court and steal a car to get home. I think it would be cheaper for an Insurance company to finance these bandits' prison term when get caught.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:56 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
TRICKI found?

I spotted this just a few days ago:

Sorry for the lousy camera on a phone picture, but the plate does say "TRICKI" and it is just around the corner from where it was stolen. No official report about if it was returned, but I'll assume it was. If not, Jen will probably bump into it soon enough.

There was another report of a stolen MINI here in Seattle. It was a silver and black 2005 "S" with plates that read "Agent 99" if I remember correctly, and disappeared from an apartment parking garage in North Seattle. I get the feeling that this one won't just "show up" again.

Val

Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 AM
MINILLA
4th Gear
maybe she had just forgotten where she parked it.............................!

Old 08-19-2010, 11:39 PM
liabear
1st Gear
My Mini was stolen without a computer chip key.

Help! My car was stolen last night!
It was found and returned but the insurance adjuster told me that because it's "impossible" to drive a Mini with out the computer chip key, and I have both in my possession, it will be difficult to prove it was stolen! Who else has heard of Minis stolen without a key? It wasn't towed away because they ditched the car when they burned out the clutch.
Is it possible to drive the car with the little black flat "emergency" key?

Old 08-20-2010, 09:31 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Ain't gonna start without the Chip.

If I were you I would check to see which Family member or friend went for a joy ride in that Mini. Then put the fob back where they found it.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 AM
liabear
1st Gear
weird theft

Originally Posted by ronnie948
If I were you I would check to see which Family member or friend went for a joy ride in that Mini. Then put the fob back where they found it.
Well, the car was found across town, I hardly think anyone would ditch a car across town and gingerly return the key! The only person I live with is my friend of 20+ years and I would trust him with my PIN number!

The weird thing is that there is no sign of forced entry. Another thing to note is that I have been working for the census and driving around to some neighborhoods known for crime and murder. Maybe some one targeted me? It's a stretch I know, I'm just trying to wrap my brain around the whole thing!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:04 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
I just remembered "03 Cooper"

I guess the 03's just have a chip in the key. My 09 hase a goofy looking fob. If your 03 is like the C5 Corvettes there are only a few different chips. Someone probably had a few keys with the chips and tried all of the cars in your parking lot until they found a match. I'll bet they could not drive a stick and burnt up your clutch trying.

If you have a Police report on when the car was stolen I would think the insurance company would be bound to pay any damages. I would not think they would have any choice on not covering you.

I'm happy that you got your car back. I sure hope they don't return when they need a ride home again.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:08 PM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by liabear
Help! My car was stolen last night!
It was found and returned but the insurance adjuster told me that because it's "impossible" to drive a Mini with out the computer chip key, and I have both in my possession, it will be difficult to prove it was stolen! Who else has heard of Minis stolen without a key? It wasn't towed away because they ditched the car when they burned out the clutch.
Is it possible to drive the car with the little black flat "emergency" key?

Yes....that is the valet key. Only thing missing is the remote feature.