Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

What car for 19 yr old daughter - help!!!

Old 07-29-2006, 06:10 PM
AntiqueCarNut
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What car for 19 yr old daughter - help!!!

My daughter is driving me nuts . When I was 19, I was happy to have something that I didn't have to push or pedal. (It was a Ford Pinto, so I did have to push it often - but that's another story).

Couple of years ago, we bought my daughter a super clean, lo-miles, '99 Saab 9-3. We wanted a safe car, but something that was fun to drive. She kicked in a good $ amount towards it from working her job at a market - no free rides here! My wife and I both had Saabs, and my daughter had never driven anything else, aside from the Chrysler K car in driver's training.

She loved the car for a while and then before going off to college (she couldn't have a car there, freshman year), she decides she didn't like Saabs any more. Rather than have it sit for 8 months and pay insurance on it, we sold it to her cousin, and her cousin is thrilled with it.

So, daughter comes back from school last May and we start looking for cars. Looked at Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, and some American stuff. All uninspiring. While on the Toyota dealer's lot, I said to her, "if these cars were ice cream, they'd all be vanilla". So, she decides that she likes the PT Cruiser. I start hunting for one and find a mint, 18K mile 2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo (215hp), with all the toys, on Ebay in Buffalo, NY (500 miles from here). Price was fair, car was sharp, so we bought it. Seemed like a terrific car for her - until she realizes over the next month or so that every other PTC owner is a 40 to 50-ish year-old woman. "Doesn't match my image" she says. Excuuuuuuse me!

OK, so I'm a good dad and figure that I've always wanted to give her all the opportunities and things I never had when I was younger. So, we start the car search all over again. Local paper, Craig's List, cars.com, eBay, car dealers - what a headache :impatient. Drove the J cars again, a Saab and also took her to MoP to drive a Cooper. She liked it, but sees that nice low-mileage, used ones with all the cool goodies, like dad's, is way beyond the allotted budget.

So we look at used Mazda 3's. Seems like a decent car and certainly more interesting that any of the J cars mentioned above. We also looked at the Mazda 6's. I like the 6 better 'cause it's available with side curtain air bags and is a bit bigger car. The 3 has only marginal side crash ratings, on account of no curtain air bags.

We were hot on the trail of a 6 at the local dealer - a nice '05. The dealer low-balled the PTC trade and I walked. I sold the PTC to a local Dodge dealer this morning for $1500 more than the Mazda dealer offered in trade - and we came out only a little short on the deal - I bought it right - and she did get three months and 4500 miles use out of it.

The only issue I have (or that I think I have) with the Mazda 6 is that it's built in the same factory as the Ford Mustang, and given my experience with the Pinto of yesteryear and my current POS $38K 2000 F250 Crew Cab Diesel (did I mention it's a POS?), I have a tough time putting even 5¢ into Bill Ford's pocket.

All that said, I can really use some help, here. What in the world do ya' get for a 19 year old these days - besides a MINI? It needs to be reliable, fun, safe, economical and have some character - not necessarily in that order. She's gotta drive this thing 'til she's out of grad school, at least (or walk ).

TIA.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:28 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
whats the budget?

Old 07-29-2006, 06:29 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Mazda has a good reputation for reliability.. Check out a Honda Civic.. Great crash test ratings, reliable, so she won't get stranded anywhere... you can't put a price tag on that... They are also trendy so she should like it.. It may be a bit more to get into... but it will hold its value... my .02 cents.
Think safety first...

Old 07-29-2006, 06:35 PM
AntiqueCarNut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by STLMINI
whats the budget?
$15-16K, maybe a tiny bit more

Old 07-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Look at the Mazda 3.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:41 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with mikem53 in that a Civic might be your best choice. I'm not much of a Honda fan (other than the Insight) but they are very good cars. The Civic is trendy and safe. Just don't let her stick a 4" fart can on it ; )

Another option could be a VW golf. If you can find a diesel, she'll be saving at the pump as well. I'm not sure about the reliability though.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
She can have my Suzuki Sidekick for a flat $2000!

Old 07-29-2006, 07:54 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AntiqueCarNut
I'm a good dad and figure that I've always wanted to give her all the opportunities and things I never had
Careful w/ that logic, buddy. My daughter (out of college) likes her Mazda 3, though. (bought it herself)

Old 07-29-2006, 07:59 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
if your daughter is anything like me... she'd LOVE it!

a nice N/A 89 RX7...... drank 2 quarts every time i drove her, and blew up in my face after 3 months, but what a thrill!

well i got my MCS when im 19, half paid by grandparents... i'd say if its 17, start with something simple.. and fun! a nice 06 or 07 yaris might just be the one

Old 07-29-2006, 08:13 PM
AntiqueCarNut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
Careful w/ that logic, buddy. My daughter (out of college) likes her Mazda 3 (bought it herself).
Actually she works two jobs and does great in school. Pays for nearly everything herself. It's just tough for a teenager to come up with the $ for a decent car. She did kick in a fair amount for the first Saab, and we just roll that over.

Originally Posted by kapps
I agree with mikem53 in that a Civic might be your best choice. I'm not much of a Honda fan (other than the Insight) but they are very good cars. The Civic is trendy and safe. Just don't let her stick a 4" fart can on it ; )

Another option could be a VW golf. If you can find a diesel, she'll be saving at the pump as well. I'm not sure about the reliability though.
The Honda's are great cars - but so *boring* to drive and look at. I had a 2005 Acura TL before the MCS. Nice car, sharp styling. But driving it... yawn!

I should have mentioned *no VW's*. Aside from the deplorable reliability these cars are so famous for - here's my VW story. My first new car after the Pinto was a '77 VW Rabbit, California Special (white, red pin stripes, red/white/black interior). I had it for 51 weeks and 3 days. It was in the shop 53 times, for a total of 94 days! I returned the car to the dealer just before the warranty was to expire - handed the keys to the sales manager, said "Here's your car. I never want to see it again." and walked out the door. I sued VW, trying to pay an attorney at $50/hr on my big $50/week pay as a file clerk after school. Finally had to settle for $400 'nuisance value' - not even enough to pay the lawyer. The bank considered it a voluntary reposession and my credit rating was toast for seven years. There were no lemon laws in California, at the time.

If VW's, Porsche's and Audi's were the last vehicles on the planet, I'd walk.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:13 PM
XAlfa
Banned
02-03 Wrx

Old 07-29-2006, 10:19 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
^^^

What X said. I would definetly date a girl with a WRX... Wait... wrong forum...

Yeah a Subi would be awesome

Mikey

Old 07-29-2006, 10:47 PM
ParrishBlue
4th Gear
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/9542403/detail.html

Look at this thread at NewBeetle.org and see how safe these Bug's are. My 18 year old daughter just inherited my 2K GLX Turbo (which I LOVED) when I got my MINI on 7/10/06.

These are amazing cars and she will fine them way cool.

Best2U, ParrishBlue

Old 07-30-2006, 12:16 AM
K4KAS
3rd Gear
I was going to say a new Beetle myself. I looked at them a few yrs ago when they first came out. Reliability was the question then. Guess that part has been answered. Was also to "girly" for me!lol

Old 07-30-2006, 03:06 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
$15-16K, maybe a tiny bit more
MC a few years old and sacrifice a few goodies and she'll have a reliable fun car that will last her past grad school and keep her safe.

You may need to expand just a little beyond the local market to find a good deal but they're out there, just hope she doesn't start doing to much modding.

Be warned about the "image" thing I'm a 19 year old guy driving a MINI.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:56 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
My daughter got a Accord coupe when she was 17... she is now 25 and still has it..... I would look at a low miles Accord....at least suggest it

Old 07-30-2006, 07:33 AM
kapps
6th Gear
I should have mentioned *no VW's*.
Yeah, I did spend a few days last month helping a friend with his golf td. After replacing the timing belt, the fuel pump timing decided to get screwed up as well. I think it was more the guy's fault than the car though. I just wasn't sure if the general reliability of VAG's.

Spidy...an Accord , she wants something with character.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:54 AM
francisk
6th Gear
Here are some of my choice:
- VW Rabbit
- Toyota Yaris
- Toyota FJ Cruiser

Old 07-30-2006, 08:03 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
here's my VW story. My first new car after the Pinto was a '77 VW Rabbit, California Special (white, red pin stripes, red/white/black interior). I had it for 51 weeks and 3 days. It was in the shop 53 times, for a total of 94 days! I returned the car to the dealer just before the warranty was to expire - handed the keys to the sales manager, said "Here's your car. I never want to see it again." and walked out the door.
Hmm, and my VW Rabbit experience was just the opposite.

I bought a used '79, the first year they were made in the U.S. (which scared me), with about 48k miles on it. I drove it, completely problem-free until I totalled it with about 98k miles on it. I had it tuned-up when I got it, and replaced the rear shocks myself at some point with Bilstein gas shocks, and, aside from oil/filter changes, that was it.

Zip

Old 07-30-2006, 08:12 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
You could easily find an 03-04 Cooper, well optioned, for $15k.

I vote for Mazda3

Old 07-30-2006, 09:26 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What does she want?

I wouldn't imagine what the parents want matter as much as what she wants.

Maybe Mazda 3 or Scion

Old 07-30-2006, 09:58 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Good luck in your quest, I can't relate to your situation - my daughter is thankful driving her strippo 2001 Cavalier.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:43 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
If an automobile is no more than an appliance to her, a Honda will be the best choice. If she's a car enthusiast, get her a Mazda. A Mazdaspeed versions of the Protege would be a hoot if she is really into cars.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:01 PM
AntiqueCarNut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by francisk
Here are some of my choice:
- VW Rabbit
- Toyota Yaris
- Toyota FJ Cruiser
Will have to check out the new Toyota's - tnx for the suggestions

Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
Hmm, and my VW Rabbit experience was just the opposite.
Your experience what the exception, not the norm. The Canadian government, in 1981, had numerous suits filed against Volkswagen Canada due to the hundreds of VW Rabbits that had more than their share of issues.

Originally Posted by ImaVunDerBrah
You could easily find an 03-04 Cooper, well optioned, for $15k.

I vote for Mazda3
Leaning that way. I think the Mazda will potentially have fewer issues over the long term.

Originally Posted by chows4us
Maybe Mazda 3 or Scion
She likes the Scion TC. She test drove one and liked it alot. The car is really cramped inside, though. I had to scoot down about three inches so my head wouldn't hit the headliner. It's still a possibility. Definitely a 'chick car'.

Originally Posted by MGCMAN
If an automobile is no more than an appliance to her, a Honda will be the best choice. If she's a car enthusiast, get her a Mazda. A Mazdaspeed versions of the Protege would be a hoot if she is really into cars.
She wants something 'cool' and sporty looking. She is in love with this car on eBay; too bad it's not closer. She doesn't know jack about cars - other than what looks cool, if it has a spoiler or not, if it has a good stereo and nice wheels. I'm trying to educate her and even teaching her to drive a manual shift in the MCS.

I certainly appreciate the suggestions from everyone. We have just two weeks to close in on a car before it's off to school again.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:49 PM
cartar452
Banned
go with the scion tc...

really great teen car these days

Quick Reply: What car for 19 yr old daughter - help!!!