Go Back  North American Motoring > Off Topic > Off-Topic :: Autos
R53 JCW to Fiesta ST? Who has made the switch? >

R53 JCW to Fiesta ST? Who has made the switch?

Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Old 04-30-2019, 11:42 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Alright gang, I'm considering swapping to a gently used Fiesta ST. I've driven them several times over the past few years and always thought it would be a fun drive and easy transition, all while gaining a bit more space. Now, the question is: Who here has made the switch, and what are your impressions, regrets, likes, dislikes, etc? Please don't give opinions as a bystander. I'm trying to keep this is on-topic as possible.

My concerns are many, but here's the gist: In stock form, the R53 JCW is the better driver's car. Independent rear suspension, a real LSD, minimal overhang, lower C.O.G, etc. Now add my modifications, and the gap is widened further. That said, the R53 can be tiresome to drive, even as a city commuter. It's a rattle-box, it's stiff, low, loud, etc. I have to be honest here, I'm thinking that if I sell the MINI and get into something newer I'll miss the authenticity of the driving experience. This is what prompted me to buy another one after selling my old slick-top LSD R53 for a BMW 128i M-Sport.

Just to give a little background on car ownership, I've owned and tinkered on 3 SR20DE(T) powered cars, 2 RX7's, WRX Wagon, fully-built Mazdaspeed Protege, 2 R53's, 300hp MR2 Turbo, turbocharged Miata, BMW 128i, the list goes on.

What are your thoughts?

Old 04-30-2019, 01:15 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigChill View Post
Alright gang, I'm considering swapping to a gently used Fiesta ST. I've driven them several times over the past few years and always thought it would be a fun drive and easy transition, all while gaining a bit more space. Now, the question is: Who here has made the switch, and what are your impressions, regrets, likes, dislikes, etc? Please don't give opinions as a bystander. I'm trying to keep this is on-topic as possible.

My concerns are many, but here's the gist: In stock form, the R53 JCW is the better driver's car. Independent rear suspension, a real LSD, minimal overhang, lower C.O.G, etc. Now add my modifications, and the gap is widened further. That said, the R53 can be tiresome to drive, even as a city commuter. It's a rattle-box, it's stiff, low, loud, etc. I have to be honest here, I'm thinking that if I sell the MINI and get into something newer I'll miss the authenticity of the driving experience. This is what prompted me to buy another one after selling my old slick-top LSD R53 for a BMW 128i M-Sport.

Just to give a little background on car ownership, I've owned and tinkered on 3 SR20DE(T) powered cars, 2 RX7's, WRX Wagon, fully-built Mazdaspeed Protege, 2 R53's, 300hp MR2 Turbo, turbocharged Miata, BMW 128i, the list goes on.

What are your thoughts?
I went back home(NYC) last week and I could not imagine driving my R53 there on a daily basis.... Good luck with which ever way you go...

Old 04-30-2019, 02:04 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Not a bystander but not directly related (but close). I bought my son a 2018 Focus ST and it is a very fun and powerful car, BUT even he says it (when he drive one of my MINIs) nothing drives like a MINI.

I think if you keep the MINI and get the ST you will be happy I think if you give up the MINI and go to the ST you will not be.

Side note the ST has complete bolt-ons (Exhaust, Intake, Downpipe etc and a COBB custom tune).

Old 05-01-2019, 08:45 AM
R534life
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Fiesta ST and Focus ST are totally different Vehicles. I did the Arrive and drive thing a number of years ago when both came out and they let us Hoon in a parking lot in both for this little Cone track they setup. The Fiesta is a much more mini like car. It's also pretty quick with a ton of bottom end go. The Focus Drives a lot bigger and heavier. I'm trying to remember which was faster around the cones, But IIRC it was the Focus but just by a very tiny bit.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:56 AM
Derek86
5th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 131 Posts
I don't fit in the Fiesta ST... to small. Loads of room in my R53s.

Motor On!

EDIT: I just noticed that is the Hersey Parking Lot ... in the video.

Last edited by JABowders; 05-16-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:15 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 337 Likes on 304 Posts
We've actually had several customers switch to the ST as it is a manual and makes good power. We even started selling parts and have done some mods for those previous customers as they can be made better too.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/focus-st/

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more