North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Off-Topic :: Autos (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/off-topic-autos-59/)
-   -   R53 JCW to Fiesta ST? Who has made the switch? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/off-topic-autos/338486-r53-jcw-to-fiesta-st-who-has-made-the-switch.html)

TheBigChill 04-30-2019 11:42 AM

R53 JCW to Fiesta ST? Who has made the switch?

Alright gang, I'm considering swapping to a gently used Fiesta ST. I've driven them several times over the past few years and always thought it would be a fun drive and easy transition, all while gaining a bit more space. Now, the question is: Who here has made the switch, and what are your impressions, regrets, likes, dislikes, etc? Please don't give opinions as a bystander. I'm trying to keep this is on-topic as possible.

My concerns are many, but here's the gist: In stock form, the R53 JCW is the better driver's car. Independent rear suspension, a real LSD, minimal overhang, lower C.O.G, etc. Now add my modifications, and the gap is widened further. That said, the R53 can be tiresome to drive, even as a city commuter. It's a rattle-box, it's stiff, low, loud, etc. I have to be honest here, I'm thinking that if I sell the MINI and get into something newer I'll miss the authenticity of the driving experience. This is what prompted me to buy another one after selling my old slick-top LSD R53 for a BMW 128i M-Sport.

Just to give a little background on car ownership, I've owned and tinkered on 3 SR20DE(T) powered cars, 2 RX7's, WRX Wagon, fully-built Mazdaspeed Protege, 2 R53's, 300hp MR2 Turbo, turbocharged Miata, BMW 128i, the list goes on.

What are your thoughts?

gumbedamit 04-30-2019 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigChill (Post 4466748)
Alright gang, I'm considering swapping to a gently used Fiesta ST. I've driven them several times over the past few years and always thought it would be a fun drive and easy transition, all while gaining a bit more space. Now, the question is: Who here has made the switch, and what are your impressions, regrets, likes, dislikes, etc? Please don't give opinions as a bystander. I'm trying to keep this is on-topic as possible.

My concerns are many, but here's the gist: In stock form, the R53 JCW is the better driver's car. Independent rear suspension, a real LSD, minimal overhang, lower C.O.G, etc. Now add my modifications, and the gap is widened further. That said, the R53 can be tiresome to drive, even as a city commuter. It's a rattle-box, it's stiff, low, loud, etc. I have to be honest here, I'm thinking that if I sell the MINI and get into something newer I'll miss the authenticity of the driving experience. This is what prompted me to buy another one after selling my old slick-top LSD R53 for a BMW 128i M-Sport.

Just to give a little background on car ownership, I've owned and tinkered on 3 SR20DE(T) powered cars, 2 RX7's, WRX Wagon, fully-built Mazdaspeed Protege, 2 R53's, 300hp MR2 Turbo, turbocharged Miata, BMW 128i, the list goes on.

What are your thoughts?

I went back home(NYC) last week and I could not imagine driving my R53 there on a daily basis.... Good luck with which ever way you go...

co0p3r 04-30-2019 02:04 PM

Not a bystander but not directly related (but close). I bought my son a 2018 Focus ST and it is a very fun and powerful car, BUT even he says it (when he drive one of my MINIs) nothing drives like a MINI.

I think if you keep the MINI and get the ST you will be happy I think if you give up the MINI and go to the ST you will not be.

Side note the ST has complete bolt-ons (Exhaust, Intake, Downpipe etc and a COBB custom tune).

R534life 05-01-2019 08:45 AM

The Fiesta ST and Focus ST are totally different Vehicles. I did the Arrive and drive thing a number of years ago when both came out and they let us Hoon in a parking lot in both for this little Cone track they setup. The Fiesta is a much more mini like car. It's also pretty quick with a ton of bottom end go. The Focus Drives a lot bigger and heavier. I'm trying to remember which was faster around the cones, But IIRC it was the Focus but just by a very tiny bit.

Derek86 05-06-2019 06:56 AM

Watch out, they are top heavy.

JABowders 05-15-2019 12:24 PM

I don't fit in the Fiesta ST... to small. Loads of room in my R53s.

Motor On!

EDIT: I just noticed that is the Hersey Parking Lot ... in the video.

WayMotorWorks 05-15-2019 06:15 PM

We've actually had several customers switch to the ST as it is a manual and makes good power. We even started selling parts and have done some mods for those previous customers as they can be made better too.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/focus-st/

TheBigChill 05-24-2019 11:45 AM

I've owned several R53's and have seat time in the FiST. Was just wondering if anyone had firsthand experience switching from one to the other.

Onimun 05-24-2019 02:06 PM

I figure its time for me to chime in here. I had a 2015 FIST which I quickly did the stage 3 tune on. The car was a monster and would keep up with Caymans and cars way outside its price range in the twisties.

Here's my owner review, make sure you go to the end because I talk about it after returning the lease. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...sta_ST_30000_m

I recently picked up a really clean and sorted 2006 R53 with 104,000 miles and I would say they are very different cars.

Let me know if you have specific questions about the car.

masternut 05-27-2019 02:39 PM

I had a 17 FIST. The seats are uncomfortable. Handling is awesome. Power is meh. Minis have soul. Buy all seasons for a better ride in the Mini

Onimun 05-29-2019 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by masternut (Post 4472200)
I had a 17 FIST. The seats are uncomfortable. Handling is awesome. Power is meh. Minis have soul. Buy all seasons for a better ride in the Mini

Well the thread is about going from a R53 to a FIST and I'd argue the FIST would smear an R53 in the power department.

Even with a stage 1 cobb tune the FIST would easily keep pace with BRZ's.

I agree about the soul though.