Considering GP2 vs JCW Coupe R58 v Fiesta St?

Old 08-17-2014, 09:17 AM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Considering GP2 vs JCW Coupe R58 v Fiesta St?

I went and bought and E90 m3. While very nice and fast I find it to be too heavy and cumbersome for autox. Also the abysmal 16mpg is no fun either.

Even though my '07 R56 had the clack of death (see my thread on that nightmare) I still really miss it.

I drove the F56 Cooper S hoping I could get my fix that way but unfortunately bmw decided to make it a small luxury car rather than a small sporty car like the r56. The F would be great for a daily driver but it is way too soft with too much body roll. The engine pulls nice and linearly but somehow bmw found a way to dial out the fun factor there too.

So that brings me to now. I have realized there are a few GP2s still kicking around and my dealer can order an R58 to my specs. I also really liked the fiesta st.

The problem with the fiesta is that it's an economy car while being one of the best fords I have ever driven it's way cheaper than the mini in build quality but you get one heck of a car for the price. It feels nimble and quick but the mini felt more lively to me than the fiesta st for some reason to me. The ST's recaros are wonderful. I am also a fan of the styling but like minis better. The ST has also been reported to overheat at track days and doesn't have a lot of brake pad options yet for the stock system, but I am sure it will soon.

The coupe looks awesome to me, and I can order it with mini connected and all the other goodies. I would most likely do recaros and either sport or JCW suspension. But it won't be as purpose built as the GP2

Performance wise the GP2 is a slam dunk you guys all know that.

I am having a hard time making a decision thoughts? R58 v GP2 and ST is still on the table. Thanks!

Old 08-17-2014, 09:30 AM
hexproject
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on what you want to spend and stuff.
I was looking at a track car.

My options were scion frs. Cheap and handles well, lack low end torque. Fixing it up is okay depending on what you go with.

GP2, well, this is the mini for the track.. but no back seat, no nav, no comfort access.

2013 JCW, this is right now what i am looking at. Change the suspension out and get the rear diffuser, maybe wheels, rear sway bar, brakes are okay, but 6 piston from GP2 will be nice. I am guessing will handle like a GP2 or close to it, but i get back seat and the other stuff just in case.

Prices ranges from 25k to 40k on these cars. So just depends. But if you dont want to deal with fixing the fiesta up, then just go with the GP2.
JCW coupe is nice.. but i like hatches, more functional, but if you don't need it.. maybe.

As for the new model, havent really driven one, so i cant say anything, but the looks.....is not something to write home about... Even the new jcw concept. Looks like they are trying too much. So thats why i am grabbing a 2013 jcw most likely.

Last edited by hexproject; 08-17-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:03 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
If you like to mod and customize your cars, then go for the R58. If you want the best performing car ever built by the factory (and at a discount) then GP2.

Either way, keep it MINI

Old 08-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Wskunz
1st Gear
We had a 2013 JCW Coupe with Fully modified suspension, it was the best handling MINI we have ever had up til then, put 6000 miles on it and traded it on a new GP2. There is no comparison in handling between the two. The GP is in another league.

Bill

Old 08-18-2014, 06:54 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GP2 = Best performing
Coupe = Best looking
FiST = Best Bang for Buck

Find your priority, pick from there.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:10 AM
Stiv
2nd Gear
I also tried the r58, love the look and drive of em. Then bought a mini jcw with jcw sports suspension, put a tune on it, had all the creature comforts and then eventually sold it. Freakin loved that car. Then a year later passed, needed another car so tried a few, fiesta st was one of them especially for the price point. But it just didn't excite me like the mini's do, just a different class and build quality. So tried a gp2 and loved it, the handling is very different to my previous jcw. So much more fun factor,Handling is unreal. For me personally, I miss having a nice stereo to listen too, and buttons on the steering wheel, cruise control, reverse sensors, as I use mine as an everyday car. So I've decided to keep the mini gp for fun days, and buy another fun everyday car with all the creature comforts as my everyday car. I was more than happy with my previous jcw r56 so you will be happy regardless of choice, sorry fiesta st doesn't cut it, unless you can't afford the mini. But then I'd say wait, save up a little more and buy a mini then.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:30 AM
studiocat
Neutral
I've been there. I had a Focus SVT for three years, not quite the same as the Fiesta but close enough for government work. Great driving car with a cheap interior and a few rattles, lousy dealer service. Went to a R56 Mini, loved it until I took a GP for a ride… got my checkbook out and I've been happy ever since. There is nothing like a factory built almost track car. Forget about it not having a back seat. Tell your friends (or kids) to take the bus.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:39 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
I found a GP about 600 miles away from where I live. I am strongly considering it but even though it's "new" it has 110mi on it. Any pointers on price?

Unfortunately they know not many are left so I feel like I don't have much negotiating power.

What do you all think?

Old 08-19-2014, 01:00 AM
hexproject
3rd Gear

Old 08-19-2014, 04:10 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
As long as audio/nav/comfort access/back seat don't mean hooey to you, go with the GP2.

I too drove the F56 before buying my GP2, and found it softer than I liked, with an odd clutch feel. Seats were incredible, though.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:39 PM
studiocat
Neutral
GP Price

36k seems on the money.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:47 PM
two250
4th Gear
It's extremely hard to beat the ST for the price. I have heard of brake fade issues in them too, but I'm sure the aftermarket will fix that. I would have bought a Fiesta ST over my MINI if they offered the 2 door ST here in the states. Something about a 4 door hot hatch just feels off, and I don't think 4 doors look as good either. I think the ST would be a better daily, but the GP2 would be a better track car. Really it comes down to price and if you plan on using it on the streets. I personally go GP2 if price was no option. I feel like if I bought the R58 I would regret not just springing a little more for the GP2...

Old 08-19-2014, 02:01 PM
studiocat
Neutral
GP as daily driver.

I drive my GP into Manhattan daily. The car is a great daily driver. I guess I'm of an age where things like power fold mirrors, cruise etc. don't mean much. When I began driving cars didn't have such things. The GP has great a/c, power window and satellite radio…. what more do you need? Drive them all and dollars to dimes the GP will be in your garage.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:02 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
FoST if you can!

Old 08-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
The new FoST is supposed to be even better! But you are talking about a larger heavier car.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:57 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
I liked the FoST, but I wasn't wowed by it. I also read all the horror stories about quality. Look up that wiring harness problem, and engine mount issues those cars have.

If I buy the GP I'm going to keep my wife's old GTI as my beater car, so I dont' really need the space.

The FoST is 3300lbs or so, and even though it felt nimble when I drove it wasn't as engaging as my old '07 Cooper S with LSD.

I definitely would get the FiST if I were to go that way.

Also let's not forget styling. There is something I like about the mini, and have always liked. I also like that with a MINI I know what I'm getting into.

We shall see though. If I can't get the GP I'm looking at I may just get the coupe. I think the dealers around my area are starting to get sick of me waffling. I'm sure I'll be on a no test drive list soon.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:46 AM
signcarver
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can only speak to the GP. Before the GP i had a JCW coupe.

I bought the GP as a driver's car - don't want electronic bells or whistles

Creature comforts or lack thereof in the GP:
- no cruise - don't miss it even after multiple 600+ mile trips - driving is much more engaging
- no gps - use my phone
- ride quality, even with run flats - fine on the freeway, slightly rough on back roads
- comfort access - really DO miss this
- music - play my iPhone through a cable (don't usually even do this - enjoy the drive without it)
- bluetooth - GP has bluetooth for phone connection (can't play music through it though)
- sunroof - don't want, don't miss - adds 1000 lbs plus don't like the sun beating down on me
- back seat - don't miss it, kids are grown, an occasional inconvenience
- rev matching - are you kidding me - do it yourself
- automatic transmission - i just threw up in my mouth

Last edited by signcarver; 08-20-2014 at 05:48 AM. Reason: changed radio to music, changed my to me
Old 08-20-2014, 06:27 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Originally Posted by signcarver
- sunroof - don't want, don't miss - adds 1000 lbs plus don't like the sun beating down on me
Holy cow! I knew my car was heavy!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:50 AM
minirab
5th Gear
Originally Posted by signcarver
I can only speak to the GP. Before the GP i had a JCW coupe.

I bought the GP as a driver's car - don't want electronic bells or whistles

Creature comforts or lack thereof in the GP:
- no cruise - don't miss it even after multiple 600+ mile trips - driving is much more engaging
- no gps - use my phone
- ride quality, even with run flats - fine on the freeway, slightly rough on back roads
- comfort access - really DO miss this
- music - play my iPhone through a cable (don't usually even do this - enjoy the drive without it)
- bluetooth - GP has bluetooth for phone connection (can't play music through it though)
- back seat - don't miss it, kids are grown, an occasional inconvenience
- rev matching - are you kidding me - do it yourself
- automatic transmission - i just threw up in my mouth
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That last line says it all.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by minirab
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That last line says it all.
Agreed.

Stick until I die.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Or you lose a leg. Because that wouldn't work too well.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:02 PM
signcarver
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
oops

Originally Posted by Grizld700
Holy cow! I knew my car was heavy!
May have overstated the weight by one zero...

Old 08-26-2014, 03:11 PM
HardTop09
1st Gear
If I already didn't have two other toys (boat and vet), I would have bought a GP2, but I love my JCW, but a GP2 makes be drool....

Old 10-06-2014, 05:21 PM
JCW_Coupe
5th Gear
well having both i can honestly say the R58 JCW is my daily, but when i want to have fun, GP2 all the way, its a totally different driving machine

Old 10-15-2014, 11:52 AM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JCW_Coupe
well having both i can honestly say the R58 JCW is my daily, but when i want to have fun, GP2 all the way, its a totally different driving machine
So if you had to have only one which would it be? I found a lightly used GP with very low miles. However my perfectly spec'd R58 is on a boat right now crossing the Atlantic.

I plan to track / autox either car. I am a beginner / lower intermediate track driver so I think the R58 would be fine but I still like the idea of the purest track focused mini.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering GP2 vs JCW Coupe R58 v Fiesta St?