Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Seriously? What the hell?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Pete Moss
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the platform
That's right,there is something for everybody!But to equate modding your car with lawlessness is asinine.As much as I loathe parts of the subculture that is "import tuning",I defend the right to have a high performance car on a budget.I'm sure given the opportunity,each of the arrested and ticketed youths would gladly drive a Ferrari or Lambo.Ironically,I don't see "Officer So and So" interrogating wealthy owners of "super cars" to ascertain why they feel they need a car that does 200mph and gets 7 mpg."What do you need that fast car for Mr.Fortune 500?"
I'm 40 yrs old.
All my mods are legal.
20 yrs of no tickets.
Good for you !!!!

I don't live in California. So, I can't speak to some of the State emission laws or traffic laws. IMO however, if a Mini or a Ferrari or Lambo is missing a front license plate or has too dark a tint they should, under the law, be subject to a ticket. The law does not address the brand of vehicle subject to arrest. If you drive without a front plate in a state that requires one, then you are giving the officer every right to stop you. Same goes for the window tint. One poster here said that the cop was too lazy to walk up to the window to see his license plate. He has not responded to my questions regarding his window tint or if the plate in the window was illuminated. Once again, you are giving the officer every right to stop you. I'm not informed on California law, but I am sure your license plate must be viewable at night and without walking up to the vehicle. There are reasons for these laws, and I obey them. I was not there, but I'll bet the image of the 150 cars gathered at the mall was not very good. I'll bet street racing was on the agenda that night. That puts other motorist at risk on a public street. Nine police departments don't show up for no reason.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AllBlack05S

that is all they do. the Government does not produce anything they confiscate and occasionally redistribute. They do not care about people, the environment or anything other than their own self preservation and power. I like how we rely on them for answers to things like saving the environment when 99% or more of them are lawyers. Lawyers who can be convinced with partial scientific data that Caddilacs are killing polar bears but the third world industries vomiting pollution into the atmosphere are fine because their country signed on to the Kyoto accord.

Yes, you are clearly armed with the facts, one can see. I suppose you never heard of the budget deficit? And 99% or more are lawyers, huh?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow This thread really has got interesting. Lets talk about politics now .

Old 04-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
We can't.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:18 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by LynnEl
We can't.
Yea I know

Old 04-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Pete Moss
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 22CooperS
I'm 19 and I'm opening a retirement account. I'm not boring... I'm starting to mod. Best of both worlds! haha

I say, cut him a break. If he drove a 1993 Geo Prism, made 6 figures, lived in a trailer, then you can accuse him of not enjoying life... but seriously, there's nothing wrong with retiring and buying a Bentley with your 401k or IRA!!
Thanks for the break. Good luck to you as you mod and invest. You will be way ahead of most folks.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Pete Moss
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TMGRobyn
I live in the area, and there hasn't been a report of street racing in about 6 months. The weather is warm, no snow, rain, sleet or hail. West Virginia may be a bit different. But when it's 11 p.m. in SoCal it means the night is still very young. 11p.m. is about break up time and everyone heading to Norms to get some strawberry pie!

And, I really don't care if there was street racing being done. For the police to treat it as a round-up is wrong. It violates our rights as citizens. This wasn't unlawful assembly, it was just a bunch of enthusiasts getting together on a Friday evening. Aaaaack! Police should be dealing with the gang violence in the area, not the car guys. Over the same weekend, there were 10-12 random shootings, but the police were busy giving tickets to guys who are into their cars. Go figure.
You do not have the right to street race and put fellow motorist in harms way. Go to a track or drag strip.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:42 AM
lotsie
Banned
We can't.
POLITICS & BANNING
  1. Discussions related to politics and banning are not permitted. Comments or questions regarding banning should be sent in through the Contact Us link found in the Main Menu block.
I suggest nobody talks politics, because then we can't talk about you if you get banned. Remember, even though this site can be viewed by anyone, you must follow the guidelines if you want to remain a member.

Mark

Old 04-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Pete Moss
2nd Gear
Thanks, Mark.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Desert_Sand
6th Gear
This statement, with smilies, smacks of sarcasm.....you folks recognize that, right?

I can't say for sure, but I would like to BELIEVE that JIMINNI knows the rules and was poking fun. You people need to relax a little bit.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Relax? I am relaxed, dammit! What are you implying?????

Old 04-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Desert_Sand
6th Gear
Relax? I am relaxed, dammit! What are you implying?????
Too much coffee...

Old 04-22-2008, 08:27 AM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Desert_Sand
This statement, with smilies, smacks of sarcasm.....you folks recognize that, right?

I can't say for sure, but I would like to BELIEVE that JIMINNI knows the rules and was poking fun. You people need to relax a little bit.
I would like to believe that too, but some of the posts in this thread keep getting close to that slippery slope. Also another Moderator posted that things stop straying in that direction and some member chose to ignore the post, that was the reason for my previous post, just a reminder.

Mark

Old 04-22-2008, 08:29 AM
MaxN
Reverse Gear
Couple of things......

The Cops are attending Cars and Coffee on a regular basis nowadays, they are 'keeping order' and handed out a couple of tickets for sideways / burnout style exits and a 70mph in a 30 zone ? this week.

I have no problem with that at all - given the large number of people that turn up and stand outside to watch and listen to the cars, it can only be a matter of time before someone is hurt otherwise.

As for the original event, an ex-co-workers son had his car impounded and it is still there, apparently in rather a large number of pieces at the moment.

Seems that the engine and a number of other components are from a/several stolen car(s). The cops are dealing with various insurance companies on trying to repatriate the parts with various people. The young guy meanwhile is out $10K. The VIN number on the shell matches the pink-slip, but the engine # is incorrect. The guy he bought it from cannot be found.....

Now a part of me say that this is bad - for the young kid that bought the car, but also this may be good for the people that are the victims of theft.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:39 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Yea I know
Originally Posted by Desert_Sand

Originally Posted by lotsie
I would like to believe that too, but some of the posts in this thread keep getting close to that slippery slope. Also another Moderator posted that things stop straying in that direction and some member chose to ignore the post, that was the reason for my previous post, just a reminder.

Mark
Geeze lighten up. If you see I did follow up that I knew we couldn't talk about, OMG "politics" . Thank you Desert Sand for seeing that . Why dont' you start monitoring threads that get out of hand when one vendor starts trashing other vendors. Thanks Jim

Old 04-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Desert_Sand
6th Gear
Thank you Desert Sand for seeing that .
No problem.....wouldn't want you to get a ticket for having a mod on your car with the hood closed now, would we....

Old 04-22-2008, 09:04 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 22CooperS
I'm 19 and I'm opening a retirement account. I'm not boring... I'm starting to mod. Best of both worlds! haha

I say, cut him a break. If he drove a 1993 Geo Prism, made 6 figures, lived in a trailer, then you can accuse him of not enjoying life... but seriously, there's nothing wrong with retiring and buying a Bentley with your 401k or IRA!!
I'm 21 and I've had a Roth IRA since I was 17, and several investment accounts. Who cares? I also "Gasp" save money, even while spending ungodly amounts of it on my car. How is a person's financial security directly proportionate to their intellectual capabilities?

I think everyone jumped on his back because of the fact that he used his financial security as some kind of "One up" on the rest of us because he "Doesn't speed, EVER. NEVER rolls through a stop sign (In almost every state that means you stop at a stop sign for 3 seconds, look left, right, then left again before going). He's NEVER made a right turn at a red light without doing the same thing. He's NEVER turned into a cross walk while someone was still TOUCHING the pavement (Illegal in all 50 states), etc etc.

It's great that you drive 5 MPH under the speed limit, wait 5 seconds at each stop sign, and hold up traffic for the rest of us, but what on earth does that have to do with retirement accounts, timeshares, and government agencies misusing funds appropriated for highway and road repairs (to bust a bunch of car nuts in a parking lot of all things)? Don't tell me they couldn't find any roads to repair in the Inland Empire. Send some of it our way then! We've got plenty out here in LA!

I think it's great that people are saving money. Too many people don't do that anymore, I just don't think that saving money and not speeding is some kind of justification for the logic that those people "Had it coming" cause they were at a car show with "Illegal" things done to their cars. Regardless of what was done and what wasn't, they still hassled people and removed valuable resources from vastly more important areas to make this waste of a project happen.

P.S. Sort of silly to have two timeshares and never use them. Sounds like 4-8k dollars a year that would be nice to have after retirement or maybe even just to live life a little.

Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:09 AM
lotsie
Banned
It's not usually not a good idea to tell Moderators to lighten up, when all they are doing is reminding members of site guidelines. Sarcasm or not, politics are not tolerated on the site, period.

If you have an issue with this, go here;https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...endmessage.php

Mark

Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by lotsie
It's not usually not a good idea to tell Moderators to lighten up, when all they are doing is reminding members of site guidelines. Sarcasm or not, politics are not tolerated on the site, period.

If you have an issue with this, go here;https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...endmessage.php

Mark
Thank you, I did.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:20 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Pete Moss
You do not have the right to street race and put fellow motorist in harms way. Go to a track or drag strip.
No, of course not... we should devote 50% of the MSA's police resources to writing tickets to a bunch of ricers that own cars that may or may not "resemble" some cars that were street racing a few weeks earlier.

Sounds productive. Meanwhile people will still street race (And probably were doing so while almost every cop within a 25 mile radius was writing tickets for window tint ).

Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:23 AM
6th Gear
Thank you, I did.
As did I...

Old 04-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Pete Moss
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
I'm 21 and I've had a Roth IRA since I was 17, and several investment accounts. Who cares? I also "Gasp" save money, even while spending ungodly amounts of it on my car. How is a person's financial security directly proportionate to their intellectual capabilities?

I think everyone jumped on his back because of the fact that he used his financial security as some kind of "One up" on the rest of us because he "Doesn't speed, EVER. NEVER rolls through a stop sign (In almost every state that means you stop at a stop sign for 3 seconds, look left, right, then left again before going). He's NEVER made a right turn at a red light without doing the same thing. He's NEVER turned into a cross walk while someone was still TOUCHING the pavement (Illegal in all 50 states), etc etc.

It's great that you drive 5 MPH under the speed limit, wait 5 seconds at each stop sign, and hold up traffic for the rest of us, but what on earth does that have to do with retirement accounts, timeshares, and government agencies misusing funds appropriated for highway and road repairs (to bust a bunch of car nuts in a parking lot of all things)? Don't tell me they couldn't find any roads to repair in the Inland Empire. Send some of it our way then! We've got plenty out here in LA!

I think it's great that people are saving money. Too many people don't do that anymore, I just don't think that saving money and not speeding is some kind of justification for the logic that those people "Had it coming" cause they were at a car show with "Illegal" things done to their cars. Regardless of what was done and what wasn't, they still hassled people and removed valuable resources from vastly more important areas to make this waste of a project happen.

P.S. Sort of silly to have two timeshares and never use them. Sounds like 4-8k dollars a year that would be nice to have after retirement or maybe even just to live life a little.
The 2 timeshares are an investment. We use the points to go someplace else since we don't ski anymore. We're too old being over 50. We now walk the beaches.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:34 AM
6th Gear
The 2 timeshares are an investment. We use the points to go someplace else since we don't ski anymore. We're too old being over 50. We now walk the beaches.
Agh, that's not an excuse!

My dad is 63 and rides his bike 20 miles a day still. Staying in shape is also an important investment into your retirement security!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Pete Moss
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MaxN
Couple of things......

The Cops are attending Cars and Coffee on a regular basis nowadays, they are 'keeping order' and handed out a couple of tickets for sideways / burnout style exits and a 70mph in a 30 zone ? this week.

I have no problem with that at all - given the large number of people that turn up and stand outside to watch and listen to the cars, it can only be a matter of time before someone is hurt otherwise.

As for the original event, an ex-co-workers son had his car impounded and it is still there, apparently in rather a large number of pieces at the moment.

Seems that the engine and a number of other components are from a/several stolen car(s). The cops are dealing with various insurance companies on trying to repatriate the parts with various people. The young guy meanwhile is out $10K. The VIN number on the shell matches the pink-slip, but the engine # is incorrect. The guy he bought it from cannot be found.....

Now a part of me say that this is bad - for the young kid that bought the car, but also this may be good for the people that are the victims of theft.
MaxN has hit the nail right on the head. This is why 9 departments show up. According to the news article 50 cars had "paperwork" problems ( nonmatching numbers?) ,( improper registeration?) Window tint, or missing front license plate. 20 cars were towed. This is what everybody on this thread was "dancing around", and would not address. Thanks, MaxN for bringing it up. Do you know if the car you refer to was one of the 20 that was towed from this late night meet?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:43 AM
MaxN
Reverse Gear
Do you know if the car you refer to was one of the 20 that was towed from this late night meet?
Yes it was.

Details are a tad vague - sorry - but I only know the guys father through my ex-employer and therefore the details are sketchy at best.

But it seems that the cops where matching the Vehicle ID /Engine numbers to the numbers registered at the DMV and several people where 'caught out'. There was at least one person that had a different VIN to plates mis-match (stolen car) and two others that had engines of questionable backgrounds.

I understand that there where a number of other tickets handed out, but the real coup was the stolen car and parts.

Quick Reply: Seriously? What the hell?