Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Seriously? What the hell?

Old 04-21-2008, 10:26 AM
22CooperS
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And all the sheep went "Baaaa..."

"Free" healthcare is a misnomer... when nearly 50% of your income goes to taxes, it's not "free". Not only that, but when you have to wait 6 months for chemo- something is NOT working. Just another idiotic promise from the government to keep us complacent and ignorantly blissful.

Laws are only laws if you let them be. Ever heard of the Boston Tea Party? Ever heard of Rosa Parks? Now of course front plates, tint, and mods are in a whole different category, but what I'm trying to say is that just because something is a law or rule doesn't mean you HAVE to follow it.

By the way, I realize we're being spied on/tapped/watched... and it's NOT okay. See above for the solution.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fronjoni
BUT CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POINT ME TO THE GUY IM SUPPOSED PICK MY BONE WITH?
Sounds more like something you should do in private --- and alone.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:42 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Sounds more like something you should do in private --- and alone.
lol

Old 04-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Pete Moss
2nd Gear
I would say the problem is yours. Did you take action to resolve or pay the ticket a year ago Feb? The ball was in your court.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:20 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
as a matter of fact i did take action, called the court to notify them that i had not recieved a ticket in the mail or bail amount in the mail to tell me where to go and who to show that i corrected the violation....when they looked up the ticket, they told me that citation had not been filed/is not on record, i asked ehr what should i do, she told me if i dont recieve anything in the mail, chances are it was just forgotten and to keep the ticket handy just in case....so i did, and to this date, i have no problem if the officer files the citation and says pay the correct bail amount (which should be $80 or so), but when they tell me that i have failed to appear in court and suspend my license and tell me the bail amount cannot be reversed all while admitting the officer made an error, that is when i get a little upset....so the ball hasnt been in my court since last year Pete Moss

Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I JUST GOT ONE OF THOSE LETTERS IN THE MAIL ON FRIDAY, SAYS MY LICENSE IS SUSPENDED AND I HAVE TO PAY $800 DOLLARS. I GOT A TICKET LAST YEAR!!! LASSSST YEAR IN FEBRUARY FOR FRONT PLATE AND TINTS. THE TICKET NEVER GOT FILED BECAUSE APPARENTLY HE WROTE THE WRONG VIOLATION CODE, OVER A YEAR LATER, I GET A NOTICE SAYING THE CODE HAS BEEN FIXED AND I GUESS SO HAS MY BAIL AMOUNT, BTW I DONT EVEN OWN THIS CAR ANYMORE LOL...STATE IS IN A BUDGET CRISIS AND THEYRE JUICING INNOCENT PEOPLE FOR MONEY...THE PART THAT DRIVES ME NUTS IS, THE OFFICER MADE THE ERROR FAILED TO CORRECT IT FOR A WHOLE YEAR, BUT THE BLAME GETS PUT ENTIRELY ON ME (IVE ALREADY GOT MY LAWYER GOING IN TO TAKE CARE OF IT TODAY SO NO WORRIES)...BUT CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POINT ME TO THE GUY IM SUPPOSED PICK MY BONE WITH?
Wow...

You need to call the court and talk to them (Or go in). You should be able to forgo paying the $800 if you simply pay the fine. Explain the situation to the judge/magistrate.

As long as you deal with it you shouldn't have to worry about any permanent driving repercussions.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:29 AM
6th Gear
as a matter of fact i did take action, called the court to notify them that i had not recieved a ticket in the mail or bail amount in the mail to tell me where to go and who to show that i corrected the violation....when they looked up the ticket, they told me that citation had not been filed/is not on record, i asked ehr what should i do, she told me if i dont recieve anything in the mail, chances are it was just forgotten and to keep the ticket handy just in case....so i did, and to this date, i have no problem if the officer files the citation and says pay the correct bail amount (which should be $80 or so), but when they tell me that i have failed to appear in court and suspend my license and tell me the bail amount cannot be reversed all while admitting the officer made an error, that is when i get a little upset....so the ball hasnt been in my court since last year Pete Moss
Front license plate tickets are usually between $10 and 20 if you correct them FYI.

You said you hired a lawyer, he should know how to handle it?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Pete Moss
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Thats good . But you have NEVER sped, ever? Yea right. Your 53 and freaking boring. I'm sorry there is more to life than retirement accounts. My 70 yearold Father-in-law drives a BMW motorcycle all over the country, go out and have some fun . I'm 48 and my wife is 49, I have a 03 MCS and have fun with it, she has a 03 BMW Z4, and has fun with it .

Jiminni---Just so happens I have an 02 Z3 ( 15,000 miles, bought new) and an 07 Cooper S, all paid for. Wife drives a 07 Lexus GS350. Paid for. We drive them all over and have fun just like your father-in-law. There is more to life than a retirement account. However a retirement account is very important if you are going to drive that Z3 or Z4 around the country when you retire. I have a time share on Maui. Going to Italy this fall. Home is paid for. You assumed incorreectly, sir. Save and invest early.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:34 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Pete Moss
I have read the posts and the news story. I have a license plate on the front of my car because it's required in my state. It's the law. I have insurance. I have current registration. I have legal tinted windows. I have not had a ticket or been stopped for any reason for 20 years or so. I drive the speed limit. I stop at stop signs and of all things red turn arrows. I have no mods on my car. (I always put that money into my 401K for retirement.) Retired at age 53.

I find most of the posts here seem to agree that the police are just after the money and have no right to arrest you for violations of the law. You need a front plate on your car if it's the law where you live. You need insurance and registration no matter where you live.

Of the 150 or so cars at the 11:00PM "meet", the article says 20 were towed. Why do you think they were towed? Not because they were missing a front plate. There is more to this story. The police were there for a reason.

I support the police and their efforts to keep our roads safe. If your car was
licensed, insured, and legal in every way, then you would have no problem on the street or in a parking lot at 11:00PM.

Motor on legally and safely.
Sounds like an incredibly boring existence.

I bet you've never chewed gum on the sidewalk, gotten caught in the xwalk when it turned red, or had anything to drink in public either.

It's great to say "If everything was legal you'd be fine" but some of us live in a state that has NO legal tint laws (You have to just roast to death when it's 120 degrees). A state that makes you drill 4 holes in your brand new bumper to stick an ugly *** license plate on because the cops are too lazy to look at the plate in the window. I'd be willing to be that just as many "legal" cars would have been harassed there too.

Saying "I never break laws" is just silly. There isn't a single person on this forum that's never broken a law and that's a fact. Go take a criminology class, sounds like that could add some excitement to your life.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:35 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 22CooperS
And all the sheep went "Baaaa..."

"Free" healthcare is a misnomer... when nearly 50% of your income goes to taxes, it's not "free". Not only that, but when you have to wait 6 months for chemo- something is NOT working. Just another idiotic promise from the government to keep us complacent and ignorantly blissful.

Laws are only laws if you let them be. Ever heard of the Boston Tea Party? Ever heard of Rosa Parks? Now of course front plates, tint, and mods are in a whole different category, but what I'm trying to say is that just because something is a law or rule doesn't mean you HAVE to follow it.

By the way, I realize we're being spied on/tapped/watched... and it's NOT okay. See above for the solution.
I'd rather wait 6 months for chemo than die because I can't afford to pay 10% of my monthly income towards health insurance.

I agree with the rest of your post, people need to wake the F*** up and go do something about it. There's a reason most of France is the way it is. The government is afraid of it's citizens!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Pete Moss
2nd Gear
Good for you. My only suggestion would be to get anything in writing. These kind of things happen. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:49 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
Front license plate tickets are usually between $10 and 20 if you correct them FYI.

You said you hired a lawyer, he should know how to handle it?
not really hired, he's my uncle so its pretty much free lol...yeah 10-20 for the plates, then theres one for the tints, oh yeah and i did i mention i dont even own teh car anymore lollll, im thinkin thats hwy this blipped on the radar, new registration...but ya itll prolly get fixed just its really annoying you know, theyre ready man, they are set and ready to point the finger at anybody for any reason as long as some money comes there way...nooo f*n shame

Old 04-21-2008, 11:53 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
Good for you. My only suggestion would be to get anything in writing. These kind of things happen. Good luck.
thanks, yeah these things happen, but these days its about creating a situation to ***** ppl over rather than penalizing people for things they acutally did wrong....kinda like setting low speed limits on streets that yield a much faster traffic flow, then posting a cop on a blind corner to nail people time and time again, its like a speeding ticket assembly line....

Old 04-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Pete Moss
2nd Gear
Sounds like an incredibly boring existence.

I bet you've never chewed gum on the sidewalk, gotten caught in the xwalk when it turned red, or had anything to drink in public either.

It's great to say "If everything was legal you'd be fine" but some of us live in a state that has NO legal tint laws (You have to just roast to death when it's 120 degrees). A state that makes you drill 4 holes in your brand new bumper to stick an ugly *** license plate on because the cops are too lazy to look at the plate in the window. I'd be willing to be that just as many "legal" cars would have been harassed there too.

Saying "I never break laws" is just silly. There isn't a single person on this forum that's never broken a law and that's a fact. Go take a criminology class, sounds like that could add some excitement to your life.
See my response to Jiminni a few minutes ago. I am not bored by any means. We have all broken traffic laws in our life. When I was 16 or 17 we all drag raced, but way out in the country. We then found the drag strip in Kansas City and went there where it was supervised. I do drive the speed limit. I do stop at stop signs and stop lights. My orignal comment regarding the news story reference street racing wanted to make the point that there was more to the story than what I read. The police had a reason to be there and it sounds like they were very busy. My bet is that it involved much more than front license plates missing. BTW you can get the kit to mount your front license plate without drilling holes in the front bumper. Is your license plate in the window illuminated? Does the window have a limo tint?

Old 04-21-2008, 12:11 PM
fronjoni
4th Gear
There's a reason most of France is the way it is. The government is afraid of it's citizens!
lolllllllll

Old 04-21-2008, 12:13 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
just happened upon this thread and have to say wow. i've felt for the 2 years i've lived in socal- that this is a total police state.

i lived most of my life in texas. and always envisioned california as a liberal state. i never really thought of texas as a bad place, matter of fact i love it.

but, when i met my girlfriend and started commuting out here and eventually moved her i soon realized that all this place is about is control. and i soon realized that in comparison- a state like texas is much more liberal in personal freedoms. as much as many may hate to admit it.

no cuss zones, no smoking outside in certain cities, boutique gas. and not to mention, despite it's "natural beauty" probably the filthiest f'in place i've ever been and that includes any city in the world i've been to including tokyo. this place is a complete lie.

i could go on and on about all this. it's california that is responsible for so many laws in this country that are complete BS. and mostly , many of the laws are strictly for marketing and money making purposes. especially the "environmentally conscious" BS. don't get me wrong- the environment is important but, you have to be blind to see that for the most part in california's eyes- it really isn't about the environment is it? it's a marketing opportunity to cash in on the "green scheme". forced recycling yet, the prices on products go higher. shouldn't it be the opposite? in other words- cali works under the "guise" of being so advanced. but, of course the citizens have no choice and we are the ones who foot the bill. it's all about the control...

ok that's kind of off topic but, not really. i just wanted to vent a little about the state and the total contradiction it is. the original topic in the thread is just another example of how the **** state works, how the priorities are so screwed and how our tax dollars are put to use.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:34 PM
fronjoni
4th Gear
Originally Posted by whiteyanderson
especially the "environmentally conscious" BS.
i couldn't agree with you more, are people really so dumb to think that the few million smokers and hte tiny cigarettes they smoke really harm the environment? people are yelling save the rainforest with their arms out the windows of their cars and suv's....which the two (cars/suv) arent quite so bad considering the humungous oil tankers that transport all those inexpensive goodies from overseas that people love so much, cuz they dont want to pay a little more for something made in teh usa....or finding out certain little plastics or ******** have carcinogens in them and blah blha blah...theyre just ways to scare people into thinking they cna make a differnce if they conform...the truth is that there is not avoiding it, we are going to pollute, we need transportation, we need to use boats and planes and diesel trucks and all that, we need to use huge machines that consume lots of oil to cut down trees in the rainforest to make paper so that we can write checks to pay the very people that are telling us we are being harmful to the environemnt.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:48 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
the other fact that is failed to be mentioned is that 90% of the toxic emssions a vehicle will emit are in the manufacturing of the vehicle. that means that the hybrid car you see rolling down the street created the same amount of toxins in the air as the 67 corvette.

the thing is now, since al gore's movie (and don't get me wrong and twist my words), it's become much more MARKETABLE. so the manufacturers are starting to cash in. look at all the green products that line the shelves. look at the ads and how "responsibly" green we all are now. it's sickening. and of course- green comes at a cost to the consumer. it makes you think about how real it all is or, assuming it is real how disgusting it is to think that noone cared until they figured out a way to make a buck.

as far as smoking, i'm a smoker and i believe that if you do not want smoke around you fine. i wouldn't either if i was a non smoker and am always considerate of other peoples wishes. but, to tell me i can't smoke outdoors is crazy.

i don't know- i'm ranting. on one hand i worry about this stuff. on the other hand i wonder how much of it is all about the $$$ and california leads the pack in finding new ways to screw us.

why do you think natural energy hasn't caught on? because they haven't figured a way to charge you for it YET! once they do we'll all be in solar powered homes. then there'll be a new crisis...

Last edited by whiteyanderson; 04-21-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Pete Moss
2nd Gear
Can we please stick to the subject. Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by whiteyanderson
the other fact that is failed to be mentioned is that 90% of the toxic emssions a vehicle will emit are in the manufacturing of the vehicle.
Have a source for this?

Old 04-21-2008, 12:55 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
it's all related isn't it? it's turned into a california rant. but, whatever i'm done and feel better .

Old 04-21-2008, 12:56 PM
the platform
5th Gear
I have read the posts and the news story. I have a license plate on the front of my car because it's required in my state. It's the law. I have insurance. I have current registration. I have legal tinted windows. I have not had a ticket or been stopped for any reason for 20 years or so. I drive the speed limit. I stop at stop signs and of all things red turn arrows. I have no mods on my car. (I always put that money into my 401K for retirement.) Retired at age 53.

I find most of the posts here seem to agree that the police are just after the money and have no right to arrest you for violations of the law. You need a front plate on your car if it's the law where you live. You need insurance and registration no matter where you live.

Of the 150 or so cars at the 11:00PM "meet", the article says 20 were towed. Why do you think they were towed? Not because they were missing a front plate. There is more to this story. The police were there for a reason.

I support the police and their efforts to keep our roads safe. If your car was
licensed, insured, and legal in every way, then you would have no problem on the street or in a parking lot at 11:00PM.

Motor on legally and safely.
Sounds like it's due time for a new NAM FORUM category:
"DRIVERS OF STOCK MINI'S WHO LEAD SANITIZED,FINANCIALLY RESPONSIBLE LIVES"
SUB CATEGORY:"BEYOND REPROACH and THE EARLY RETIRED"
OOOHHH,YYYHHHAAAHHH!!!
-now I'm aroused.
HOW VANILLA!

Old 04-21-2008, 01:03 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Have a source for this?
yes let me see if i can dig it out and i'll pm it to you. but, i don't want to veer anymore off topic. others seem to be getting upset- which is cool.

but, this debate has been raging for years since the original "carbon penalties" were being proposed years ago. at the time i drove a 70 MG midget and the MG club was in an uproar over it and we were all sent the fact sheets with which to contact our state representatives.

besides, what would be considered different in the manufacturing process of say a PT cruiser and a prius? what makes the prius' building specs so special? they both have to be built and the manufacturing of any vehicle is the biggest polluting factor. the pollutants emitted during a cars driving lifetime are nothing in comparison to the pollutants created to build it.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:11 PM
fronjoni
4th Gear
exactly, its just being used to market, there are a lot of thiings like that...theyre bs little endorsments that play with peoples heads, i used to be a smoker, not anymore, but i never complain, yeah it gets annoying when im in a room full of them (in which case ill just suck it up or walk away),

but u know what, the whole city sits under a layer of smog that you breathe in....the health of the people as a whole is reduced, that little ciggarette isnt gonna affeect you any more or less, its simply for there comfort cuz they dont like teh smell .yes i realize three are documents that prove second hand smoke kills, but so does smog, you just can't see it or taste it but it is killing you, you are dying at a faster rate if you live in a major city, you make that choice by living there...

Old 04-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
So the logic is, then, let's do nothing? Actually, it appears that even small reductions in the output of pollutants can have large, long-term positive impact. The logic of "other things pollute, so it's okay to do nothing" is ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Seriously? What the hell?