Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Seriously? What the hell?

Old 04-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Pete Moss
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One example of selective enforcement in my opinion is when an officer is enforcing speed limits and picks you or me out of the large number of cars because we appear to be going faster than the limit. He selects you or me and checks our speed. Is this aginst the law?

Old 04-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is not selective enforcement, as I am sure you know, as it is based on the evidence of a commission of an illegal act. Selecting a group of certain people to "check" to see if they broke a particular law (because "we all know those people do that"), on the other hand, is.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Pete Moss
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
That is not selective enforcement, as I am sure you know, as it is based on the evidence of a commission of an illegal act. Selecting a group of certain people to "check" to see if they broke a particular law (because "we all know those people do that"), on the other hand, is.
He suspected you were speeding but didn't have the evidence until he checked your speed with the radar gun. The read out provided the evidence.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give it a rest. His only criteria is that you were on that road at that time. Or, appeared to be speeding.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Desert_Sand
6th Gear
Yes, I believe that we are going to have to agree to disagree.

I see the law, as I read it, as full of holes.....my interpretation et al. But the part about having to go tell the DMV if you change your motor is crap anyway. Do dealers do that when they change an engine under warranty? Do you?? I'd venture a pretty educated guess that there will be very few instances where this takes place.

Come to think of it, since there is no place on my registration for my motor ID number to be on it, how would they now what the proper number is?? Or was?

And we will all probably have to agree to disagree on the selective enforcement issue as well. There are those of us who think it is, and those of us who don't.

We are all obviously opinionated on this subject, and for some it is very close to home (right or wrong).

Old 04-25-2008, 01:57 PM
succubus
3rd Gear
I came from San Diego. In or about 1998 I had considered an engine swap, was going to put a 350 into my Astro to replace the 4.3 liter v6. I did a quick search on the internet and found out exactly what I had to do in order to legally change my engine.

This from a young man then about 23 years old, with nothing other than Google at his side. I find it hard to believe that people living in California would believe it was legal to swap engines without telling anyone (emissions etc...). Would I be wrong to assume most of these engines were not the same type of engine originally in the vehicle???

Old 04-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm thinkin' that the practice of engine swapping without need to inform anyone started long before the California lead/mandated "we're gonna save the world from breathing nasties or die trying" came into effect.
It was pretty common to swap engines/transmissions/diffs whenever yours wore out. Just buy a good used or rebuilt, a six-pack, grab a couple of friends and make a weekend of it. Come Monday, woot!, new car. No paperwork, no forms, no fees.
Old habits die hard, and are the first things passed on.
Do it now, go to jail. Yeah, I know, the state is protecting me from bad guys selling me a stolen engine, but ya know, there's only so much 'protection' I can take, then it starts to smother. IMO.
-skip-

Old 04-25-2008, 06:17 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
...just be glad you don't live in NYC, where the cops have been rounding up cyclists (the kind with pedals) for riding in a group on public streets without a permit. Talk about a waste of resources! NYC is considered the #1 target of terrorists worldwide, and they're busy confiscating our Schwinns!

Old 04-25-2008, 06:22 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
skip - sorry to be a stickler, but the Bern Franklin quotation has been mangled for many years. Here's the original version and citation:
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

Old 04-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Desert_Sand
6th Gear
Originally Posted by succubus
I came from San Diego. In or about 1998 I had considered an engine swap, was going to put a 350 into my Astro to replace the 4.3 liter v6. I did a quick search on the internet and found out exactly what I had to do in order to legally change my engine.
All well and good, but that still doesn't make it a ready known fact. I am not going to bother looking up when that part of the VC went into effect, but I did an engine and tranny change on a vehicle in 1989 and never registered it with anyone....in San Diego. Since the internet as it is today didn't have that info available....thank heavens for technology.

So, your argument still holds as much water as a strainer.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Desert_Sand
6th Gear
Originally Posted by skip.irving
Do it now, go to jail. Yeah, I know, the state is protecting me from bad guys selling me a stolen engine, but ya know, there's only so much 'protection' I can take, then it starts to smother. IMO.
-skip-
Such a 'free' state that is.....

Old 04-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
skip - sorry to be a stickler, but the Bern Franklin quotation has been mangled for many years. Here's the original version and citation:
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)
Yeah, I know. When I followed some research on it, I found that he had been quoted back then in more than one version. Couldn't find anyone around who knew him at the time, so I went with the simplest, cleanest version. I thought he might appreciate that.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:43 AM
lotsie
Banned
Seeing as this thread is not about MINIs per say, it has been determined that it be moved here.

Mark

Old 04-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lotsie
Seeing as this thread is not about MINIs per say, it has been determined that it be moved here.

Mark
Run! Hide! Mark, I'll cover for ya! The spelling police are headed this way!
I'll leeve sum bad speling to conphuze the trail.
-s-

Old 04-29-2008, 04:41 AM
HiCLiketheDrink
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155

"If you're not into street racing, why would you need that?" Riverside Police Traffic Sergeant Skip Showalter asked an enthusiast during a similar crackdown last year.
Not cool. It's a free country, and if someone wants to make 1000 bhp out of a car, it's their own right. Especially considering that the police are really civil servants. They're supposed to be protecting us and keeping an eye out for us. But instead they just find a reason to jam you up. And they'll jam you up so hard if they get the chance, as this story shows.

But I agree with the other posters, it sucks that there are some mind-numbingly stupid cops that make the intelligent and fair ones look bad.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:45 PM
22CooperS
4th Gear
Because it's a hobby?

Because otherwise I might spend the money on crack?

Because it gives me a reason to go to work everyday?

Are those good enough reasons, or do we need to answer to the police directly?