NorCal MINIs A club for Northern California MINI Cooper enthusiasts. Visit our club site at www.norcalminis.com

Don't forget the April 23rd run to the Pinnacles

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 06:50 PM
LarryP
Coordinator :: NorCal MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget the April 23rd run to the Pinnacles

Don't forget to sign up for the run to the Pinnacles National Monument. A meet up in Tracy and one in San Jose heading to Hollister. Then we head to the park for a morning hike and after that Panoche Rd. IF YOU DON"T WANT TO VISIT THE PINNACLES WE WILL BE LEAVING THERE AROUND 1215pm meet us there to drive Panoche rd. More info at norcalminis.com

Old 04-18-2006, 07:40 PM
LarryP
After run refreshments

anyone know a good place in Hollister?

Old 04-19-2006, 07:50 AM
Dr. Pepper
4th Gear
apre run

The San Andreas Brewing Co. was pretty cool. I was there a couple of years ago. I think it is still there. It's on the main drag in downtown Hollister. Theres also a good coffee house downtown, fairly large. And a couple of Pizza places near the McDonalds meet-up point.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:21 AM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Larry - are you looking for a breakfast spot? Since you're taking Panoche out, after the Pinnacles, I'm assuming that you'll run all the way to Hwy 5 and take that back home...
I'll try and run Panoche tonight to make sure it's driveable.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:27 PM
LarryP
We are taking Panoche out and back. 5 is soooo boring. I was thinking of a place for after the run in Hollister. Possibly for a cold one. I've checked the county roads site but they have not updated it in awhile. If Panoche is not in good shape we will continue south from the Pinnacles and pop out by 101 and take the side roads up to Salinas and stop at the Penny Farthing. Thanks for checking it out.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:32 PM
LarryP
Thanks for the input. I'll check out the Brewery online. So hows your new Mini? Putting lots of miles on it? My Cooper hit 114k last night . Larry
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper
The San Andreas Brewing Co. was pretty cool. I was there a couple of years ago. I think it is still there. It's on the main drag in downtown Hollister. Theres also a good coffee house downtown, fairly large. And a couple of Pizza places near the McDonalds meet-up point.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:41 PM
MCLeonard
5th Gear
What about taking 25 south from Pinnacles to New Idria road and looping up to Panoche Road and back to 25?

Old 04-19-2006, 05:11 PM
LarryP
I check it out last year and the road isn't paved after New Idria. Its either head out toward 5 where there isn't anything or turn around at Mercey Hot Springs and head back. Panoche Road comes highly recommended by my two wheeled freinds and the wild flowers are blooming. I figure the views different coming back so there it is. I could not find the brewerey listed anyplace so it must be gone. How about Casa De Fruita? I have not been there since the mid seventies with Norcal Vans. It would be nice to finish the run around Hollister because some of us are heading home out into the valley. I have a few raffle prizes from our freinds at Eastbay Mini. A beer and a raffle go good together. A good pizza joint will work too.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:58 PM
MCLeonard
5th Gear
Oh details, details. Pavement is overrated.

Panoche road is good driving in either direction.

I was at Casa de Fruita not too long ago. It should be a good stopping point.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:35 PM
LarryP
I cant wait until the all wheel drive Traveller comes out . Well it looks like we will stop a Casa De Fruita after the run. I will have maps for everyone at the start.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:27 AM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
What an unbeliveable road....

Larry - I took a run out Panoche Rd. this evening. That road leaves me smiling every time!
It does have quite a few pot holes that the county is trying to repair. Looks like they throw asphalt patch in the hole and have the truck back over it a few times. A lot of debris on the road.
I noted that the repairs stop at approximately 13 miles down Panoche (marked by the pile of unused asphalt on the side of the road) and are started again at around mile 15.

But, with a little defensive driving, the road is still great. There are some narrow spots, so you'll have to watch for on-coming traffic. I passed over (4) gullies but only one had water ... about 4". Took it slow and had no problem.
From my house in Hollister - out to where I could see Hwy 5 on Little Panoche - and back home again was roughly 110 miles and it took me 2-hours.
I hit triple digit speeds on the long straightaways and could hold 70 in some of the mild turns and while driving through the meandering countryside. But some of the turns are definitely 2nd gear only!
I took (3) pictures but don't know how to post them - I'll send them to you in an e-mail.

Tim

Old 04-20-2006, 11:58 AM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
A great place for lunch would be Dunneville Restaurant Market - 5970 San Felipe Rd. (Corner of San Felipe and Shore / Fairview Rds).
Off the beaten track but good food.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:44 PM
LarryP
Sounds like it will be a nice ride. I think I'll stick with the double digits. Otherwise bruises will suddenly appear on my right shoulder . I've already posted on the club site we are going to Casa de Fruita after the ride and made the maps so I'll save the other spot for next time. Thanks for checking it out. Larry

Old 04-21-2006, 11:28 AM
MCLeonard
5th Gear
Is there anything at Mercey Hot Springs? At the end of Panoche Road there is Apricot Tree with gas and a mini mart.

Too bad we aren't starting earlier as Los Gatos Road to Coalinga is nice, but longer and it is 35m up I5 to Panoche Road.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:02 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
I couldn't tell if Mercey Hot Springs was still in operation (or just closed for the winter) I sort of flew by it without really looking.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:24 PM
LarryP
I checked out their web site. It looked rather rustic. We can go all the way to 5 and take abreak at the mini mart if poeple want to. Or turn around at Panoche Res. We see how it is on the fly.
Originally Posted by DrkSlvrS
I couldn't tell if Mercey Hot Springs was still in operation (or just closed for the winter) I sort of flew by it without really looking.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:16 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi All,
Photos from today posted at:
http://www.norcalminis.com/gallery/g...=1&event_id=80

Including photos of "Larry The Birdie Killer".
Jim

Old 04-23-2006, 11:48 PM
cooprd
4th Gear
Hi Jim,

We missed you at Casa De Fruita.

Your sure quick with the pics.

Larry the Birdinator

Old 04-24-2006, 10:43 AM
UKDragon
Iguana Tamer
More pics

Hi there.

That was my first run, had a LOT of fun!
My car needs a bath now.

I have a bunch more pics from the day. Who do I send them to for posting on the norcalmini site?

I've been a member on the other mini forums for a while, thought I should join up here also!

Thanks for a great mini adventure!

Cassie

Old 04-24-2006, 10:56 AM
jimz68
6th Gear
Originally Posted by UKDragon
Hi there.

That was my first run, had a LOT of fun!
My car needs a bath now.

I have a bunch more pics from the day. Who do I send them to for posting on the norcalmini site?

I've been a member on the other mini forums for a while, thought I should join up here also!

Thanks for a great mini adventure!

Cassie

Glad you had a good time!
Go here:http://www.norcalminis.com/gallery/index.asp
Once you log in, you can add photos to the event gallery.
Jim

Old 04-24-2006, 11:01 AM
cooprd
4th Gear
Hi Cassie,

You can add them yourself.
After you log in:
Go to Gallery, click on the year.
To the right of the name of the event you will see Add Pictures, click on this to add yours.
You can add 5 at a time.
It may take a few minutes to upload.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:58 AM
nethack
3rd Gear
Crazed biker with red bandana

So, I don't know if y'all remember, as we were leaving "Pinnacles," the (happy) idiot biker jumping up and down like a crazy monkey furiously waving a red bandana/sash? According to a co-worker who's a cycle rider that guy is Jeff Copp who runs and rides with a group motorcycle enthusiasts called the red riders.... yet another bit of useless trivia for Monday morning

Great run

However, the front of my car is an entomologists dream(nightmare). The rear... we wont talk about that

Also, UKDragon/Cassie, I seem to remmber that your driving partner had a video camera: it would be cool to be able to see some of that footage.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the next run

L8R

Jonathan

Old 04-24-2006, 12:30 PM
UKDragon
Iguana Tamer
mini video

Originally Posted by nethack
Also, UKDragon/Cassie, I seem to remmber that your driving partner had a video camera: it would be cool to be able to see some of that footage.
Yup. I got some of the pictures posted on norcalminis. The video we still have to find some time to go thru and edit into a quicktime video. I will definitely post it when its finished!

Old 04-24-2006, 02:52 PM
nethack
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by UKDragon
Yup. I got some of the pictures posted on norcalminis. The video we still have to find some time to go thru and edit into a quicktime video. I will definitely post it when its finished!

Very cool, thanks! Looking forward to seeing the vid.

Cheers

Old 04-24-2006, 06:19 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nethack
So, I don't know if y'all remember, as we were leaving "Pinnacles," the (happy) idiot biker jumping up and down like a crazy monkey furiously waving a red bandana/sash? According to a co-worker who's a cycle rider that guy is Jeff Copp who runs and rides with a group motorcycle enthusiasts called the red riders.... yet another bit of useless trivia for Monday morning Jonathan
I thought he was trying to get us to slow down for a downed bike. IDIOT!!
Jim

Quick Reply: Don't forget the April 23rd run to the Pinnacles