Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Garmin 660 with Kuda Mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:28 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tag
The Garmin Nuvi 660 is on sale at Amazon.com for $349 today only and won't last long. Look for the gold box deal.
Wow! Now I really feel ripped off... But as in all cases with technology and electronics, the prices will always go down.
It is just a matter of when do you really want to own it.
Do you want to be the first or the last one to get one?

Old 02-03-2008, 09:47 PM
MINYLIZ
Neutral
Nuvi 660 and BT

Thanks to the great info on this thread, I was able to install and hard wire the Nuvi 660 today and it works great. Turns on and off with the ignition. I also ran a spare link to the AUX outlet thinking I might need the same.

So for my question, is there any way to use the BT with NUVI with the HFSW? The BT in the Nuvi works ok, but it would be great if I were able to integrate it into the cars systems.

Also, now emboldened by my success today, I am giving thought to changing out the speakers in the doors. Any comments would be most welcome.

MINYLIZ is a 2007 Carbio S.

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2008, 05:29 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINYLIZ
Also, now emboldened by my success today, I am giving thought to changing out the speakers in the doors. Any comments would be most welcome.

MINYLIZ is a 2007 Carbio S.

Thanks!
Do you have the upgraded sound system?
If not, the HK is a quick and easy install with great sound.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:03 AM
MINYLIZ
Neutral
Thanks for the response. No, just the standard sound system, which I hope by upgrading the door speakers will improve. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:00 PM
tonester
3rd Gear
hi everyone,

for those who have successfully installed the kuda mount with the garmin adapter, how did remove the stock garmin cradle from the socket? Did you just pull it straight out? I'm getting ready to install my kuda mount.

thanks

Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes - it's just a simple ball-and-socket joint, so if you move the cradle as far as it will go in any direction, then try to move it a little further, it will pop off of the ball.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
if i didn't rely on my blackberry + google maps + gps combo, i'd be all over this. in fact.....i'll be going the garmin/kuda route by the end summer most likely.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:47 AM
DanQ
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read thru this thread and it was mentioned that the 660 would play thru the car's speakers. How are people doing this? I assume they are using the aux input to the radio? So you can listen to mp3s on the garmin and have them play thru the car speakers.

What if you want to listen to FM radio and have the nav directions interrupt throught the car speakers? (Without toggling the input of the radio between FM and Aux)

I was looking and saw this: http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...uctshow&id=574

Any experience with this yet? seems new...

Old 05-21-2008, 12:17 PM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DanQ
I've read thru this thread and it was mentioned that the 660 would play thru the car's speakers. How are people doing this? I assume they are using the aux input to the radio? So you can listen to mp3s on the garmin and have them play thru the car speakers.
The Garmin 660 allows you to transmit via an FM channel on your radio by going to the audio input/output icon on the Garmin unit.
I don't use it much because I don't want my phone calls blaring over the cars speakers but it is an option.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:29 PM
tonester
3rd Gear
I have the 660 currently outputting to the AUX IN of the MINI's headunit. The audio quality by transmitting via the FM channel is a toss up because depending on your current location, the FM antenna might pick up some weird out of the way FM stations that will interfere with the Garmin's designated FM signals.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:32 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I tried the FM modulation on my Garmin 700-series unit, but the static on the FM channel was bothering me when he/she wasn't speaking.

I've found, though, that if I select the British male voice that it does a pretty good job of cutting through road and radio noise and I can understand him fairly well. Most of the other voices got lost in the clutter.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:36 PM
agranger
6th Gear
I did a kinda cool (IMHO) install of the Garmin Nuvi 750 with the Kuda dash mount for my R53 ('06 MCS). It looks a lot like these pics from the Kuda website, except in these pictures, they left the power cord off so it didn't look all sloppy. Unfortunately, in the real world, a power cord is kinda a necessity and I hate dangling cords flapping about, so I had to find a solution...

I cut the power cord that came with the unit and discovered that it only had 2 wires in it, despite the complex looking plug that goes into the cradle. Red and black... power and ground. The red wire leads to the center post of the cigarette lighter adaptor and the black wire leads to the side contacts. I cut the wire about 6 inches away from the connector and attached one of these to the other end.

To the other piece of the now split power cord, I attached one of these, so that I could still use the cigarette lighter adaptor if I ever wanted to use the Nav unit in a car other than my MINI.

I cracked open the dash, drilled a few holes, sawed off some plastic bits behind the facia and installed this pannel mount size-m power connector to the dash (after applying a quick coat of flat black spraypaint to the outer bezel). I ran a new pair of wires behind the dash and connected them to the hidden side of the cigarette lighter power leads.

Now, when I snap on the Kuda mount, the Nuvi has its very own power supply and a short cord leading to it. I can't even see the 6-inch power connector from the driver's seat, so it looks like a very custom install. When I take the Nav unit out of the car (for daily driving to the office, etc... no need for the Nav to be in the car 100% of the time), you only see this...

Old 05-21-2008, 12:44 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
The Garmin Nuvi 360 (which is what the MINI-branded GPS is) can be had online for as low as $469 shipped (although at that price, it would be wise to call about availability first). Add to that the $175 for the MINI GPS mount kit if you want to go that way, and you're up to $644, plus installation if you don't want to do it yourself.
Amazon.com has the Garmin 360 for less than $300 and the 370 which I got because it includes the traffic receiver and also has European Maps plus a cool British lady's voice for guidance for $328 + $6.00 shipping. I paid $140 for the Mini Nav installation kit which attaches to the tachometer from Classic Mini in Ohio.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:56 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
nice job there, agranger. definitely a "in it to win it" modification there.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:34 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Originally Posted by steaming79
nice job there, agranger. definitely a "in it to win it" modification there.
That and the built-in radar detector remote mount earned some points at the MOTD car show from the interior judge.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:26 AM
DanQ
2nd Gear
Thanks Cabriopilot. I forgot about the FM transmitter. Those usually don't work in the Chicago area since there is no open space on the band. I guess i need to keep looking for a wired solution..

Old 06-01-2008, 12:59 PM
waltermb
2nd Gear
for the non handy or mechanical like me--are you actually wiring anything to the garmin? i am not aware if its battery charged or hard wired? also on installing the kuda mount(which looks great) if the mount snaps on-why are you removing the dash? removing the dash part is what makes me nervous--i am the guy that buys things at sears-and puts them together great-but has parts left over. thanks

Old 06-01-2008, 03:59 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by waltermb
for the non handy or mechanical like me--are you actually wiring anything to the garmin? i am not aware if its battery charged or hard wired? also on installing the kuda mount(which looks great) if the mount snaps on-why are you removing the dash? removing the dash part is what makes me nervous--i am the guy that buys things at sears-and puts them together great-but has parts left over. thanks
Here's my install and how I "hardwired" it. Unfortunately, the dash needs to be removed in order to slide the mount's metal tabs under that hold it in place. It makes it a very secure mount that is removable without leaving any trace.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:03 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Definitely read through the above thread and the one from unixgal that is linked to in it. It's about as close to a step by step install as you can get (without it actually being one, that is). Removing the dash isn't as bad as it sounds. Just keep the screws in a safe place and labeled if possible and when you pull off the trim pieces (the colored interior dash pieces) don't be afraid to really pull hard!