Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Garmin 660 with Kuda Mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 PM
cob666
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dash in the '07s are completely different, how would you accomplish this in a newere mini?

I actually ordered the kuda mount this past weekend and it should be arriving. I think I will just install the mount this weekend. Not sure when/if I will actually wire the adapter behind the dash.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Sara'sMini
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I built the mount for my daughter's '03 R53.
WRT your '07, the post is purely pedagogical.

Originally Posted by cob666
The dash in the '07s are completely different, how would you accomplish this in a newere mini?

I actually ordered the kuda mount this past weekend and it should be arriving. I think I will just install the mount this weekend. Not sure when/if I will actually wire the adapter behind the dash.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:43 PM
pdoyle
2nd Gear
So has anybody hardwired their nuvi yet? If so, where did you tap into the power?

Old 08-11-2007, 06:30 AM
Sara'sMini
1st Gear
On my 03 MCS I tapped fuse 36 if memory serves
http://www.jwardell.com/mini/fusetap.html

Old 08-11-2007, 06:03 PM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Originally Posted by bjacobso
Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the installation. To remove the dashboard piece behind the steering wheel, drop the wheel down as low as possible and reach in with your fingers to grab the dashboard piece. Gently, but firmly, pull on the dash board piece until it releases from the pressure fittings. Then you can remove the 2 screws on that side of the speedometer. There is a small plastic piece on the other side of the speedometer hiding the other 2 screws. Open the "hidden" glove compartment. This piece is on the left side of the opening.

Hi, I just received my Kuda mount and have run into an issue with getting the speedo/vent piece off. I have everything unscrewed and can pull the bottom part away from the dash, but the top part isn't budging. Is the Hazard light button on top connected to the ring? If not, how did you get the ring over it?

HELP. Thanks.

btw: Your directions for getting the trim above the steering wheel off was spot on. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:16 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you think the Kuda mount and 600 would work (ie physically fit) with a car with the chrono pack (last generation I know )

Old 09-03-2007, 01:20 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's the combo I have (Garmin 660, Kuda mount and Chrono Pack). Here are some pictures. For the picture that shows the GPS on the mount, I had the camera about where my head is while I'm driving, so you can see that the GPS doesn't block any of the Chrono Pack gauges.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:58 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Thanks ScottRiqui. That answers my question. Do you like it? Was it hard to put in? And did you hardwire anything?

Old 09-03-2007, 02:27 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
The Kuda mount was very easy to install - it doesn't require any disassembly of the dash, adhesives, or screws/fasteners. I haven't hardwired it yet, because I had to get it installed quickly, along with a radar detector, before a cross-country drive. When I have a little time, I'm going to put in one hardwire circuit to power my cellphone charger, radar detector and the GPS.

I like the Kuda mount a lot. It puts the GPS up where it's easy to see, it's very sturdy, and it looks pretty good. My only complaint is that the black leather on the mount isn't a very good colour match to the dark grey dash, but there's not much I can do about it, and it doesn't both me too much.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:14 AM
pdoyle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
The Kuda mount was very easy to install - it doesn't require any disassembly of the dash, adhesives, or screws/fasteners...
REALLY? But this thread starts out talking about taking apart the dash. I am going to be installing a Kuda either way but this is great news!

Pat

Old 09-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pdoyle
REALLY? But this thread starts out talking about taking apart the dash. I am going to be installing a Kuda either way but this is great news!

Pat
Look at the pictures; see anything interesting?
Dude has an R53, not R56.... ....big difference in the install hassle factor.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:42 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Sorry Arnbut, my fault - I hijacked the thread for R53 uses. :blush:

Old 09-04-2007, 01:26 PM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Has anyone mounted it to the left of the tach. Seems to me it would be easier to see there without taking eyes off the road. I think that's where the dealers put them, so there must be mounting hardware available. I don't know about the wiring however. Do most of you just run off the battery, or do you plug it in?
I wrote up some R56 Installation Instructions for the left-top mount.

And lacning74 wrote up how he wired up a Nuvi 660

Last edited by unixgal; 09-04-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:18 AM
SuperMINIs
3rd Gear
The Kuda mount was very easy to install - it doesn't require any disassembly of the dash, adhesives, or screws/fasteners. I haven't hardwired it yet, because I had to get it installed quickly, along with a radar detector, before a cross-country drive. When I have a little time, I'm going to put in one hardwire circuit to power my cellphone charger, radar detector and the GPS.

I like the Kuda mount a lot. It puts the GPS up where it's easy to see, it's very sturdy, and it looks pretty good. My only complaint is that the black leather on the mount isn't a very good colour match to the dark grey dash, but there's not much I can do about it, and it doesn't both me too much.
Hi Scott,

I have an 07 Cabrio with the Chrono Pack and looking to do the install of my Garmin 660. Would the mounting fit directly centered right above the Chrono Pack. Call me obsessive but I would like the device to be right in the middle above the Chrono Pack. Would that work or are there any obstructions that would prevent this. Does the mount fit firmly with no movement? Thanks for you help. Steve

Old 11-15-2007, 05:35 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
The Kuda mount really needs to go pretty much where I have it in my pictures. The reason is, the mount is designed to closely fit the curves of the dash (both the top of the dash and the front edge of the dash). I tried mounting it directly above the Chrono Pack, and even mounting it to the right of the Chrono Pack, and it just doesn't fit as well.

If you put the mount where I have it in the pictures, it's very secure. You might be able to move it a little bit further to the right, but if you go too far, the mount will no longer fit the curves in the dash, and it might start to get wobbly.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:22 AM
SuperMINIs
3rd Gear
Thanks for your help.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:50 PM
SuperMINIs
3rd Gear
On the KUDAUSA Site, the item to order would be the MINI to 2006 item. Correct? I have a 2007 Cabrio which is actually a 2006 body. Then the add-on post for the Garmin adapter.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:12 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Yes - you want the 2002-2006 version, plus the Nuvi mounting post. Also, be aware that there's a dash-mounted version as well as a downtube-mounted version.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:34 PM
SuperMINIs
3rd Gear
Great... Thanks again.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Ross05MCS
Neutral
Originally Posted by SuperMINIs
Great... Thanks again.
The Kuda mount really needs to go pretty much where I have it in my pictures. The reason is, the mount is designed to closely fit the curves of the dash (both the top of the dash and the front edge of the dash). I tried mounting it directly above the Chrono Pack, and even mounting it to the right of the Chrono Pack, and it just doesn't fit as well.

If you put the mount where I have it in the pictures, it's very secure. You might be able to move it a little bit further to the right, but if you go too far, the mount will no longer fit the curves in the dash, and it might start to get wobbly.

Scott,

I just got the Kuda mount for the R53 and had a few questions with the install. First, was the top bracket (the one that fits in the vent) of the Kuda completely straight or bent to a 90 degree angle? Second, how did you mount your add-on to the Kuda base? I am thinking about using some 3M automotive tape or something similar to that.

Thanks!

Ross A.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:43 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Ross05MCS
Scott,

I just got the Kuda mount for the R53 and had a few questions with the install. First, was the top bracket (the one that fits in the vent) of the Kuda completely straight or bent to a 90 degree angle? Second, how did you mount your add-on to the Kuda base? I am thinking about using some 3M automotive tape or something similar to that.

Thanks!

Ross A.
The metal tab that slips under the center dash vent was curved downward slightly, but nowhere near a 90° angle. It sounds like yours might have gotten bent during shipping. Just gently straighten it back out.

I mounted the Nuvi adapter to the Kuda base using the screws that came with the Nuvi adapter. I used an awl to press some pilot dimples into the base first. There's a press-fit decorative cover that hides the screws once everything's assembled. I don't know how well automotive tape will stick to the leather Kuda base, but you can give it a try.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Ross05MCS
Neutral
Scott,

Thanks for the quick responce. It turns out that the 90 degree bend came from the factory like that. All I had to do was just bend the entire bracket around until it fit correctly (inspite of the 90 deg. angle) I wish I had taken some pictures. in the case of the tape I opted to use extremely strong adhesive on the add-on which worked amazingly well (even with the plastic-to-leather bond). Now I'm just waiting for the Nuvi, it should be here on Thursday!

Thanks a lot!
Ross A.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:52 PM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ross05MCS
Now I'm just waiting for the Nuvi, it should be here on Thursday!
Which Nuvi did you get?
I bought the Nuvi 660 for $500 at Sams Club then found out that Costco has them for $400 .
I guess I don't feel too bad, I see that Circuit City sells them for around $800 .

Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Ross05MCS
Neutral
I got the Nuvi 650. I was looking around online and went to pricegrabber.com and found it for $355.00 at comparemaster.com. I did some research on the website and it is reputable (at least CNET thinks so).

Old 01-30-2008, 08:44 AM
tag
2nd Gear
The Garmin Nuvi 660 is on sale at Amazon.com for $349 today only and won't last long. Look for the gold box deal.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Garmin 660 with Kuda Mount