Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio DPSM issue cleared up.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:32 PM
MisterMINI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DPSM issue cleared up.

I have read numerous comments stating that the DPSM cannot be installed in cars that already have the HK system.

Hopefully the information I have just received will clarify this issue:

When the DPSM is installed there is a test CD in the kit inside a cardboard sleeve. On the sleeve there are pictures of two front door speakers; the stock boost speaker and the the HK speaker. This made me curious since I had been led to belive that the DPSM cannnot be installed in cars already equiped with HK. So why would they show the HK speaker? I therefore read through the DPSM manual to see if I could find more information. There is a statement in the manual that says 'if the DPSM is installed on a car already equiped with the HK system, then the fade control cannot be used'.

I can't believe that MINI would include this information in the DPSM kit if it wasn't true.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Yes, I saw the same thing in the DPSM manual I read last year.

I believe the "official" answer we've been getting (that it can't be done) is from MINIUSA not MINI International. Also, all of the installation instructions for the DPSM start from the Boost system not the H/K.

The best chance I've seen so far is a "retrofit" H/K installation instruction document (from Boost). My thinking is that if those document steps were reversed, the H/K could be removed back to Boost... and then the DPSM could be installed.

This is the tact I am trying to take with my dealership right now. Still waiting for them to figure it all out and give me a quote.

Remember, it isn't really "cleared up" until it's been done! Especially from an "official" perspective.

Last edited by Edge; 01-07-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:09 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I saw of the wiring harness that just went into Keiths car, I don't think it would matter if the H/K was present originally or not - afterwards, it'll be gone!
The DPSM occupies the same location as the H/K amp, and runs it's own wiring from the HU. The only question I'd have is does it then run wires back to the HU position to route to the speakers through the original harness, or does it run it's own wires to the speaker positions? If the latter, there's no issue.

BTW: Amazed by the volume that the DPSM throws out - but waiting for a report from Keith as to the sound quality ...

Old 01-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by GBMINI
From what I saw of the wiring harness that just went into Keiths car, I don't think it would matter if the H/K was present originally or not - afterwards, it'll be gone!
The DPSM occupies the same location as the H/K amp, and runs it's own wiring from the HU. The only question I'd have is does it then run wires back to the HU position to route to the speakers through the original harness, or does it run it's own wires to the speaker positions? If the latter, there's no issue.
It was my understanding that the DPSM does indeed use the original wiring harness, and that is the main issue with trying to replace an H/K system - wrong harness.

If that turns out not to be true, I will be VERY happy about it indeed!

Old 01-07-2007, 09:26 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
From the DPSM installation instructions, it does appear that DSPM run wires back to the HU position and connects to the speaker wires of a base stereo system. So the issue with H/K seems to be that an H/K system does not have speaker wires going to the HU position (only to the H/K amplifier in the boot).

To get from an H/K system to DPSM what you need to do is purchase and install the speaker wiring harnesses for the base stereo system (including the wiring going into the doors). I think that is all you really need to do. The DPSM kit comes complete with everything else that is needed. You'll end up with some unused H/K speaker wiring that you can remove (or not).

Or look at it from a different angle. Suppose you started with a MINI that had no audio system at all -- no speakers, no wiring, no amp. First install all the DPSM components. Now what's missing that would make it a working system? I believe the missing items are the head unit and the base audio speaker wiring.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:16 AM
MisterMINI
2nd Gear

BTW: Amazed by the volume that the DPSM throws out - but waiting for a report from Keith as to the sound quality ...
Ian,

The first thing I noticed on my drive home from the dealer, apart from the incredible base compared to the boost system, is that the DPSM really highlights poor quality sound tracks, of which I have several on my ipod. In terms of music quality the difference is quite significant; I can hear words that I couldn't previously decipher and notes that I didn't know existed.

The base control on the head unit is obviously one way of adjusting the amount of base, but cranking it too high just makes the system thump too much. I have found the fade control is more effective by adjusting more or less bias to the rear speakers, which is where most of the base comes from. For information purposes I should also point out that the DPSM rear speakers have tweeters in them (I know you already know this, Ian).

The surround sound swirch gives the music a little more echo. I'm in two minds at this point as to whether I prefer it turned on or off which suggests the difference isn't that significant. I think it may be more effective with clasical music, but I haven't yet tried that.

I thik it is important to point out that at home I play my music on a Bose Wave Radio and not a top quality HiFi. I therefore don't have a high quality system to use for comparison when reporting on the DPSM.

The DPSM also has a break-in time of 30 hours. Other users have reported that the system just gets better and better as it breaks in, but at this time I have only used mine for about 1.5 hours. I guess I should hop in the car and go for a long drive.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:48 PM
KevinBaker
3rd Gear
What is the test CD that comes with it; some sample music tracks?

I wonder if there would be any chance of that CD say, finding its way onto the internet?

Old 01-10-2007, 06:25 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Working on it

Old 01-10-2007, 07:26 PM
KevinBaker
3rd Gear
Good work mate . If you need some fast hosting to stick it on (dunno how much space you've got; I've got more or less unlimited as I own my own server in a datacenter) let me know and I can look after it for ya. Are you going to MP3 it (if so, 320kbps VBR please!), or even better, are you going to ISO it?

If all else fails and someone wants to mail me a CD of it, I can organise it .

Old 01-12-2007, 05:58 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Kevin,
My 3*GP owning friend George has uploaded the files to GBMINI.net:
http://www.gbmini.net/uploads/

Taking up your offer, if you could copy & mirror the files, I'd appreciate it - thanks

Old 01-12-2007, 06:20 PM
KevinBaker
3rd Gear
Downloading now mate, will mirror it tonight when I get back home from work - afternoon shift, yay :(.

Any chance of a track listing (i.e what order the songs go in), or even a scan of the cover/disk as well?

Cheers for getting them up Ian, appreciated mate!

-- Kev

Old 01-13-2007, 10:10 AM
JCWGP
1st Gear
Here is the track list
http://www.jcwgp.com/gallery/main.ph...SM-23.JPG.html

Also additional pixs of the DPSM install and various pages of the CD it comes with.
http://www.jcwgp.com/gallery/main.php/v/DPSM/

Not sure it's a test CD but the songs that are included I found really highlight the potential of the DPSM.

Last edited by Edge; 01-14-2007 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Cleaned up invalid formatting
Old 01-13-2007, 11:38 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear

Thanks George and welcome to NAM, yet another forum for you!