Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Wiring and Connections for CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wiring and Connections for CD changer

I ordered the standard radio/CD for my 'not yet here MCS'. In the brochure it states something like "the mini is pre-wired for a CD changer". I assume this is true.

My questions:

1 Are the wire connections at the changer end universal and is there a possibility that my current Pioneer changer will just plug in?

2 Is the cable already connected at the radio end?

3 If my Pioneer changer will not work, what brand or special issues do I need to look for?

thanks,

YD

Old 08-29-2006, 10:20 AM
aDeLoreanGuy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cabling should all be there and ready to plug into in the back. However, CD Changer interfaces are not standard, so you can only plug in the MINI/BMW changer. Fortunately there are adaptors the allow you to plug in different changers. I myself have a Sony interface for my Sony MP3 changer from www.newministuff.com They also have one for Kenwoods, but I don't know of any off hand for Pioneer.

Everything else is connected. So once you hook up a changer in the back, it should automatically be recognized by the HU and become selectable by pressing the Mode button.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.logjamelectronics.com has the BlitzSafe adapters.

im running that and an Alpine changer with MP3 playback.
it even came with a stereo RCA aux jack but im not using
that on my car. i have the factory aux jack with the
3.5mm dia headphone jack.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Aminiman
1st Gear
FYI, not all MINIs are pre-wired for the CD-changer. I thought they all were, but my April '06 build MCS does NOT have the harness. You might want to have a look before ordering anything.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Will the connector be behind the right rear plastic access panel?

What other pre-wired connectors are lurking around here and there?

YD

Old 08-29-2006, 07:52 PM
aDeLoreanGuy
4th Gear
Correct. It should be taped to the wiring harness back there. If you have the HK option, it will be tucked and taped under the amp.

If you want an alarm, that too is now pre-wired. Just connect the compenents and have the dealer activate the programming.

Finally, there's the AUX jack. I wouldn't call this pre-wired as you have to buy a special cable. But it plugs right into the back of the head unit, which makes for a very simple installation. Don't pay a dealer $100 to install this when you can do it yourself in minutes!!!

Old 11-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
I called logjamelectronics.com as suggested in a previous reply and was told that for 06, my existing Pioneer CD changer would not work without purchasing an expensive electronic module. I was hoping that an electrical adaptor to mate the car's pigtail to my changer would be all that was necessary.

Does this make sense to you guys? The only reason I wanted to do this is because I already had the changer.

YD

Old 11-05-2006, 06:49 PM
aDeLoreanGuy
4th Gear
That makes sense to me. The interface is unique to each brand. If you think the adaptor is expensive, check into the pricing for a BMW/MINI changer. I found it was cheaper to get an adaptor and aftermarket changer then just buying the BMW/MINI changer. Plus most aftermarket changers support MP3, which the stock one doesn't.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:55 PM
paullees
1st Gear
My window sticker says mine is pre wired, but there is nothing there.

August 06 build.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:18 PM
fischdl
Neutral
I am trying to find out where the cd changer cable is on the Mini Cooper S Convertible with HK HU. Anybody know?

Old 11-13-2006, 01:56 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by fischdl
I am trying to find out where the cd changer cable is on the Mini Cooper S Convertible with HK HU. Anybody know?
The connections are on the passenger side in the boot area. What model year is your MCS?

Old 09-19-2016, 03:30 PM
sharkbaitgirl
1st Gear
?? CD Changer wiring in MCS Convertible 2005 w/ HK + Nav?

Hey, I'm pulling my hair out and I can not find the wiring for an MCS R52 Convertible 2005 (manufactured in August of 2004)? My mini cooper s has Harmon Kardon sound system (speakers) + navigation. I want to add an grom mp3 player to it by connecting through the cd wiring.

Someone said it it's in the truck on the passenger side above the wheel but I can't figure out how to remove the carpet on the side of the truck. This is a convertible so I don't have the panel like the non convertible models do.. I have carpet on the side of the truck. I removed the carpet plug but what do I remove next to remove the carpet on the side to get to the wiring?

Another forum said it's behind the rear passenger seat belt?

FYI: This is what my truck looks like..
http://www.thecarconnection.com/imag...-s-convertible