Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Euro to uSA

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 09:58 AM
BornTxn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euro to uSA

Hello,
I just shipped my US spec 05MINI from Germany to the USA. Now I need to updated the NAV to USA. I expect to pay the $200 for the new DVD but when I called the MINI dealer they told me that it would be $94 an hour for labor and will take 2 hours so my total will be around $400.

The $200 for labor raised the BS flag with me so now I am asking yall. Do they realy need to pull out the passanger seat to update the NAV with US maps? Can I do this myself useing the V27 updates posted on the boards?

I am in San Antonio Texas this week and will be in Arlington Tx next week. If the dealer is blowing smoke then I can wait till need week when I am in Arlington.

Thanks in andvace for the help.
Jason

Old 07-13-2006, 10:02 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Hmm.. I know the V27 update that you can get on the net will update the Nav firmware. But I'm not sure if it will change it from knowing what country your in. If this is even needed.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:58 PM
BornTxn
1st Gear
Does the $200 for labor sound a bit high? I mean how much work is needed? In Germany they only charged me the $200 for the DVD and the did the install for free.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:54 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I'm not convinced that you need to do anything besides inserting the new DVD map disk. You should try that first and it may not be necessary to do anything else. It does not require removing the seat. Look under that back of the seat. There is a flap that covers the DVD slot. Open it and push the eject button to eject the current DVD, and insert the new one in its place.

The V27 firmware that has been in the forums seems to be a single image that is used in both USA and Europe. You may want to install it to get the latest features, but I don't think updating will be necessary for operation.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:08 PM
RudyT
4th Gear
To answer your question...
I highly recommend updating your NAV software to Version 27.1 The NAV update software is NOT country specific and works on both Euro and US spec cars. The NAV software is not tailored to any specific country. Its the same accross the world. The dealer ship is raising the bull$h*t flag and charging for well, nothing.

There is a thread on how to update. The overview is this, burn image to CD, load cd in the NAV cd slot located under the passager seat. To access, just move the seat forward and open the small plastic door. Once done, follow the on screen prompts.

Why do this, well first it introduces a new "Perspective View" and second, it fixes alot of sync issues with the GPS sattelites. The NAV system seems to work better with less freezes and less loading times.

The Maps are a seperate issue. This is the only thing you will need to change out through your dealership. I have Europe now, but when I return to the States, all I need to purchase is the DVD of US and pop into the NAV system. All done. And I did it only for the cost of the DVD.

To sum this up... Buy the Map DVD and update your NAV software. The NAV update has nothing todo with what country your in.

Let me know if you have any questions. I hope this clears it up for you.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:34 PM
BornTxn
1st Gear
Thanks guys,
I also just talked to the MINI Dealership in Arlington TX and he was kinda shocked that the San Antonio dealership was going to charge $200 for labor. He even joked, "wow they must have a real tough time getting the doddor under the passager seat open. I knew something reminded me of the last time I as out in the cow pasture. Arlington Moritz MINI > SA MINI.

I will download and burn the V27 and see if it will add US maps.

One more thing, how the hell do they expect me to only drive 70 MPH on an open highway. I miss Germany all ready.

Cheers and Thanks
Jason

Old 07-13-2006, 05:47 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by BornTxn
The USA map data is on the DVD that you have to purchase. Your current Nav should work with it. V27.1 is a separate issue. The reason to install it is not for USA maps but to get the newest Nav features such as perspective view and better performance.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:11 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... how the hell do they expect me to only drive 70 MPH on an open highway...
Jason
Come to the East Coast and drive at 55

Old 07-13-2006, 09:44 PM
RudyT
4th Gear

One more thing, how the hell do they expect me to only drive 70 MPH on an open highway. I miss Germany all ready.

Cheers and Thanks
Jason
Two things... Like rkw said, the V27 is not maps but NAV software. You have to download V27 and install that before V27.1 The US Maps is a seperate DVD.

As far as the 70 mph speed limit, I would invest in a Valentine Radar/Laser Detector. Thats a who new thread amongst itself.

One thing about Germany, I never get tired of the unlimited Speed zones, but honestly since I have been here, I rather take the narrow winding roads

Old 07-14-2006, 12:29 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, if you did not tell them that your car was a US Spec car, they probably thought that they would have to hook it to the computer to reset the NAV system for USA. This might take a little time....

However, all you really need is the DVD and you simply pop it in like others have said. Updating to the latest firmware is also very simple.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:43 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RudyT

One thing about Germany, I never get tired of the unlimited Speed zones, but honestly since I have been here, I rather take the narrow winding roads
Haha.... The joys of Odenwald!

Old 07-14-2006, 04:20 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Update your car yourself and keep the $200 for something special.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=72655

Old 07-14-2006, 08:37 AM
BornTxn
1st Gear
Just got the DVD and put it in. Now I have the US maps and onw to getting the v27 updated done thanks guys.

Jason

Old 07-14-2006, 10:13 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Just got the DVD and put it in. Now I have the US maps and onw to getting the v27 updated done thanks guys.

Jason
Jason, Get v27.1 from mdsbrains blog site. It is solid.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:25 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by daflake
Jason, Get v27.1 from mdsbrains blog site. It is solid.
Thanks Jason!

Here:
http://mini.mdsbrain.com/?p=183

Old 07-18-2006, 01:26 PM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
Hello,
I just shipped my US spec 05MINI from Germany to the USA. Now I need to updated the NAV to USA. I expect to pay the $200 for the new DVD but when I called the MINI dealer they told me that it would be $94 an hour for labor and will take 2 hours so my total will be around $400.

The $200 for labor raised the BS flag with me so now I am asking yall. Do they realy need to pull out the passanger seat to update the NAV with US maps? Can I do this myself useing the V27 updates posted on the boards?

I am in San Antonio Texas this week and will be in Arlington Tx next week. If the dealer is blowing smoke then I can wait till need week when I am in Arlington.

Thanks in andvace for the help.
Jason
I bought my MCS in Germany and had it shipped to the US. I had to purchase the DVD for US maps...that was it! Put the DVD in the tray (under the seat) and wait for several minutes...hours for the NAV system to locate where it is at. Mine took two days to find itself. After that I downloaded V27.1 and installed it...no additional charge! Everything works great all for under $225. Hope this helps.