Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Could this really be the XM / BlitzSafe's fault?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:56 AM
SweetTea
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could this really be the XM / BlitzSafe's fault?

Dealer A installed XM / BlitzSafe solution. At first, no sound would come out of one channel, so Dealer A instructed me to return the XM Unit to the vendor (myradiostore) and get a new one.

New XM Unit arrives, Dealer A installs. No problems for the first 3,500 miles. (Brand new 2006 MSC.)

Now, nearly all interior electronics are not working: seat belt light, sunroof, interior turn signal indicator, all radio, etc.

Go to Dealer B (much closer to my home). Dealer B claims the issue is with the XM / BlitzSafe unit, but will not plug it into a different vehicle to verify that the issue is in fact with the aftermarket unit and not, say, the internal wiring in the car. To put more salt in the wound, Dealer B claims they spent eight hours isolating the issue to the aftermarket unit (why it took them that long, I have no idea) and the warranty only covers six. So they are asking me to write a check for $94 / hour for the extra two hours. Even though I had a dealer (Dealer A) do the installation. Now I am going back and forth between the two dealers, trying to get Dealer A to either cover the two extra hours or split them with me 50 / 50.

Has anyone had any issues like this with their XM / BlitzSafe unit? Without Dealer B actually plugging in the aftermarket unit into a different vehicle, how do I know for sure that this electrical issue is not part of my vehicle itself?

Old 05-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
That blows Steve - I would call Blitzsafe directly and speak to their reps. I've never heard of a Blitzsafe adapter causing problems like that. If Dealer A plugged and unplugged stuff with the ignition in the on position and the radio on it's possible it may have shorted something however I seriously doubt it.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:36 AM
gadgeTT
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
My XMDirect/Blitzsafe unit has been fully-functional without issue since last October which is when I installed it myself. Personally, I can't see how that would have anyting to do with your car's other issues as the ONLY point it connects to your car's wiring is via the CD changer cable.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:58 AM
SweetTea
2nd Gear
Well, Dealer B claims it must be the aftermarket unit ... as soon as they unplug it, all of the other interior electrical problems go away.

That being said, until the aftermarket unit is plugged in to a different vehicle, I don't see how one can claim it is the unit, versus the vehicle.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:46 PM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
Any device that is plugged into the ibus on the mini can cause these problems if it goes wrong - some early icelink plus's caused this exact problem. Although I have never heard of a blitzsafe doing though

Old 05-30-2006, 12:48 PM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SweetTea
Well, Dealer B claims it must be the aftermarket unit ... as soon as they unplug it, all of the other interior electrical problems go away.

That being said, until the aftermarket unit is plugged in to a different vehicle, I don't see how one can claim it is the unit, versus the vehicle.
Since the Blitzsafe communicates over a data bus to the head unit, it is certainly possible that it could be sending random codes that are causing your problems. If everything works without a hitch when you unplug the blitzsafe, then the dealer is right and that's where your problem is. As the saying goes "If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and smell like a duck; then it must be a duck"

Old 05-30-2006, 01:17 PM
coolcab
1st Gear
I have the XM/Blizsafe direct and have had zero problems. But I do not have a sperate XM receiver. I did the install myself...