JCW Anyone tried the power modules out there on their JCW?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:22 AM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone tried the power modules out there on their JCW?

Like Tim Allen, I'm all for more power! I've been looking at NM engineering, burger tune, DTUK, as well as Racechip. These seem to be the most popular at least. My coworker just bought the DTUK for his diesel BMW and loves it and the gains he has noticed are quite good propelling his diesel bmw into the high 4 sec 0-60 times per his app, yet still maintains great gas mileage. Seems like I keep reading of transmissing faults when running both the burger tune as well as NM's power module on it's high setting, is this a flaw in the car or the box? Havent read of a fault in on reviews of the DTUK box nor racechip. My JCW is an Automatic that I've had since the end of April and have almost 10K miles on him now. Going to VIR next month to really push it, was just wanting more power to see how it compares to my former tuned R56 cooper S by Jan at RMW. I was running 21-22 PSI with a forge intercooler then.

So anyone with a JCW tried these or other brands of power modules? Faults? Not sure how long if ever there will be a software tune available from either bytetronic or someone else.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:04 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Burger on my F56MCS/6MT and kept having it throw codes. Sent it back for evaluation and they said it was OK, but it immediately threw codes when reinstalled. I've ordered the middle tier Racechip for my F56JCW/6MT. I haven't got it yet but will put my findings/impressions here when done.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:11 PM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
I had a Burger on my F56MCS/6MT and kept having it throw codes. Sent it back for evaluation and they said it was OK, but it immediately threw codes when reinstalled. I've ordered the middle tier Racechip for my F56JCW/6MT. I haven't got it yet but will put my findings/impressions here when done.
Great. I've been leaning towards the racechip myself. Any reason for not getting the ultimate racechip?

Old 09-24-2015, 12:31 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
FWIW, I've been running the NM Eng module on my Cooper S F55 with the B46 engine on the HIGH setting for months with not one code thrown.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:58 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jetmechinnc
Great. I've been leaning towards the racechip myself. Any reason for not getting the ultimate racechip?
Didn't want to spend that much money and didn't think I could put that many ponies on the ground effectively.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:48 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
How much are the Racechip and DTUK units? Can you install these yourself like the JB Burgertune? I'm not Jonesing for more power but am interested.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:52 AM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
How much are the Racechip and DTUK units? Can you install these yourself like the JB Burgertune? I'm not Jonesing for more power but am interested.
At racechip-usa.com they have 3 versions starting at $439 then $599 then the ultimate is $679.
Dtuk tune box is 429 pounds, or $650 at the rate right now

And yes, its a simple plug and play. My coworker has the DTUK on his diesel BMW and it took him 20 minutes to install, basically unplugging and replugging and then mounting the device with double sided tape or whatever.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:07 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
284 HP from the JCW. That is a huge power jump. Wonder if the transmission could handle that kind of power. I can't help but notice they have no one doing write-ups on the product. Wonder if they have sold any to MINI owners yet.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:16 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by GregoryK
284 HP from the JCW. That is a huge power jump. Wonder if the transmission could handle that kind of power. I can't help but notice they have no one doing write-ups on the product. Wonder if they have sold any to MINI owners yet.
That would make me nervous too. I think my JCW is fast enough, and the F56 is even more powerful than mine. 290 BHP is ridiculous. I don't know if the car's code could detect and store for too much boost or not. Even though you're not reprogramming the ECU if there was evidence of excess boost and you have a problem with the car you'd have to explain that to the dealer perhaps.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 10-01-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:47 PM
SCoopa
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have the NM Power Module going in the first of the week along with the NM Engineering Intake.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:10 AM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SCoopa
Have the NM Power Module going in the first of the week along with the NM Engineering Intake.
Did you install the NM module yet? any impressions?

Old 10-16-2015, 09:11 AM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
Any news on your Race chip install? Or are you still waiting for it to arrive?

Old 10-16-2015, 09:13 AM
dcrna1
1st Gear
I have it installed and it provides a very significant seat of the pants difference. Would not want to go back to driving the car without it.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:51 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dcrna1
I have it installed and it provides a very significant seat of the pants difference. Would not want to go back to driving the car without it.
On a factory JCW F56 car right?

Old 10-19-2015, 10:32 AM
SCoopa
1st Gear
JCW comes back from the shop this week. Will post comments once I have a chance to drive it.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:06 AM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
JCW comes back from the shop this week. Will post comments once I have a chance to drive it.
Looking forward to the results and your impressions. Saw a few F56 cooper Ss with the NM module at VIR on monday's track day with Phil Wicks. Everyone seems to like them. One person I know filled his tank with the 100 octane available at the track and ran it on setting 2 on the NM module all session without throwing a code, yet he couldn't really tell if there was a difference between the two settings since he was going flat out and couldn't compare it to daily driving. I was the only F56 JCW there, and was happily just as fast even in the back straight as a 335i BMW, but couldn't touch a modded 135Is nor a modded R56 JCW. Never got the chance to ask the drivers what was done to their cars, but still happy to see a stock JCW keep pace with a BMW 335i. The mini accelerated quicker past the 120 mph mark than the BMW. I would hit 126 mph and had to check up a few times. Now that I've got a base line, it's time for more power and a little suspension tweaking for next track day.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:12 AM
SCoopa
1st Gear
No real benchmark to set it against. It was pretty much done my JCW with 75 miles on it. The JCW, def. has power to lay down. My only thing is I am getting a faint little "shutter" on throttle when I've got my foot really into the pedal. Not sure if that will go away as it continues to remap but it's a little odd.

If anyone is familiar with what I am talking about, let me know. Cheers!

Old 10-26-2015, 09:52 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
No real benchmark to set it against. It was pretty much done my JCW with 75 miles on it. The JCW, def. has power to lay down. My only thing is I am getting a faint little "shutter" on throttle when I've got my foot really into the pedal. Not sure if that will go away as it continues to remap but it's a little odd.

If anyone is familiar with what I am talking about, let me know. Cheers!
Boy that's tough. My understanding is that you had the tune on a new car? If so, it would be hard to tell if the car out the tune is causing the problem you describe.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:04 AM
SCoopa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Boy that's tough. My understanding is that you had the tune on a new car? If so, it would be hard to tell if the car out the tune is causing the problem you describe.
Yep, it was put on along with the intake and springs pretty much from the dealer. Only reason it even had the miles on it to begin with was I took delivery before the parts arrived.

That being said, the guys at Hendrick MINI rock in every aspect of the work they've done on the JCW thus far.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:46 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
+1 on the NM engineering power module. Easy to install and use.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...er-module.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-29-2015, 05:38 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
^^^ Got one of those waiting to go on my F56.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:52 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
You should look at our WMW tuning module as is has been great and reliable with no codes thrown. The last customer that had one we asked if he wanted it off and he said he wouldn't give it up for anything. The difference is ours has more ECU control as we connect to more than just the Tmap sensor. We connect to the cam sensor, throttle body, Tmap, MAF.
If you don't like it we like the Burger module as a second choice

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-29-2015, 09:14 PM
NYXF56JCW
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
You should look at our WMW tuning module as is has been great and reliable with no codes thrown. The last customer that had one we asked if he wanted it off and he said he wouldn't give it up for anything. The difference is ours has more ECU control as we connect to more than just the Tmap sensor. We connect to the cam sensor, throttle body, Tmap, MAF.
What kind of gains does your module have over the JCW's stock numbers?

Old 10-30-2015, 04:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
^^^ Got one of those waiting to go on my F56.

Great

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-09-2015, 04:39 AM
Robmaster
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks

I can't find any HP gains with your tuning module. Can you tell me anything about it?

Quick Reply: JCW Anyone tried the power modules out there on their JCW?