Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Navigation System w/GPS

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 08:24 PM
MotorWorf
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested in adding the Navigation System w/GPS.

Has anyone had any real world experiences they'd care to share?

MotorWorf

Old 02-28-2003, 09:44 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would suggest getting the Garmin Streetpilot III system. It is less than half the price of the factory system and is really top notch. I use it almost everywhere I go. Very easy to program, and makes finding places a breeze. I especially like the search functions that allow you to find the closest chinese restaurant or movie theater, etc. Has sure made learning how to get around a new town a breeze, and I have discovered cool places I never would have found had I not had the nav system to help me explore unfamiliar areas i might not normally go to.

Old 03-02-2003, 03:17 PM
sobelmini
1st Gear
I have it - and if you are expecting anything as good as the Acura system, you will be disappointed. It doesn't have very good resolution and is usually about 30 yards off (which can make a difference once you've gone past an intersection!). It also doesn't seem to have the same functionality that and Acura does - plus the whole CD thing is ridiculous - I would wait for DVD - I heard they're coming out soon.

[img]null[/img]

Old 03-02-2003, 06:58 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
>>I have it - and if you are expecting anything as good as the Acura system, you will be disappointed. It doesn't have very good resolution and is usually about 30 yards off (which can make a difference once you've gone past an intersection!). It also doesn't seem to have the same functionality that and Acura does - plus the whole CD thing is ridiculous - I would wait for DVD - I heard they're coming out soon.
>>

I've got the Nav system and we like it. Yes, the CD sucks however all owners of the NAV system are getting the DVD when it is finally released. It really blows that we live on the edge of the CD for our region, if we head just an hour our so west we fall off the face of the disk....

Old 03-02-2003, 07:18 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>I have it - and if you are expecting anything as good as the Acura system, you will be disappointed. It doesn't have very good resolution and is usually about 30 yards off (which can make a difference once you've gone past an intersection!). It also doesn't seem to have the same functionality that and Acura does - plus the whole CD thing is ridiculous - I would wait for DVD - I heard they're coming out soon.
>>

There are very few times when the system is off by more than a few feet. One of those times is when you are in the city among tall buildings. This is a problem of the signal being bounced around the buildings. Otherwise, street names change while I'm making a turn! I find the system to be VERY accurate.

>>I've got the Nav system and we like it. Yes, the CD sucks however all owners of the NAV system are getting the DVD when it is finally released. It really blows that we live on the edge of the CD for our region, if we head just an hour our so west we fall off the face of the disk....
>>

Hmmmm... I very much doubt that CD based NAV owners will be getting a DVD sent to them. For one, the hardware isn't compatible. And I don't foresee MINIUSA swallowing the cost to give us all new hardware. Those of us with CDs that want the DVD system will most likely have to pay for a retrofit upgrade.

As for my take: On the whole, I'm quite happy with the NAV system.

Old 03-02-2003, 07:24 PM
brgmini12723
2nd Gear
>>
>>I've got the Nav system and we like it. Yes, the CD sucks however all owners of the NAV system are getting the DVD when it is finally released. It really blows that we live on the edge of the CD for our region, if we head just an hour our so west we fall off the face of the disk....
>>
>>

According to both AskMini, and CrownMINI of Virginia, The DVD system is not compatible with the CD-ROM based NAV system (the DVD will not play in the current CD-ROM system).

Old 03-02-2003, 08:12 PM
Albert
3rd Gear
>>Does anybody have real info that the DVD's will play in the existing (current) systems, or that MINI will upgrade existing systems?

I'd like to know about this too! :smile: