Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio SIRIUS sound quality?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 07:14 AM
Lost240
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIRIUS sound quality?

OK, so I installed a Starmate unit into my mini through the aux input. After the aux continued to cut out, I installed a Ground Loop Isolator which solved the problem.

The new problem I have is that most of the stations sounds terribly compressed. Is this just how Sirius is? I thought this was supposed to be CD quality. It sounds like very poor streaming radio over the internet. Is there some setting I am missing?

-Justin

Old 01-03-2006, 08:06 AM
G8RMNI
2nd Gear
I just got a sirius unit for Xmas. It is the Visor model. I am using it's FM modulator abilities so that I can listen to it in my Honda. It doesn't sound CD quality. High pitch sounds, like cymbals in a rap or rock song, sound tinny and muddled...like I am listening to compressed low bandwith audio over the net...It upsets me that the sound doesn't get better if you install the device into the aux port...I thought the sound quality wasn't all that great because of the modulator...oh well...

Old 01-03-2006, 08:36 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I've got OEM units in both my MCS and Chrysler Pacifica, both sound very good, for the music channels both are close to if not CD quality. Definately better than streamed audio over the net. I found the quality to be just as good when I was using an Audiovox Shuttle PnP unit connected to the Aux input on our Cooper when we had it, sound quality wasn't quite as good using the Pioneer tuner over the FM modulator on our old Subaru Outback...

I've noticed that the sound quality isn't that good on the talk stations, however it's not worse than the average FM station...

Old 01-03-2006, 10:58 AM
aDeLoreanGuy
4th Gear
All the online reviews I've read that compared Sirius to XM in terms of sound quality found that Sirius was the worst. One review said XM was like FM radio without static, while Sirius was AM radio without static!

Here's one example:
http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_news%...ws072002a.html
(read the section "Not all bits are created equal")

I ended up going with XM and can also hear some compression. Fortunately it's not terrible and have quickly adjusted to it. There probably isn't much you can do since you are already using the Aux in. A different receiver might perform better, but that can get expensive to test!

Old 01-03-2006, 11:23 AM
aminicooper
4th Gear
I agree, I have a Starmate Replay in AUX as well, doesn't sound like FM radio quality... more like AM quality w/o static that was mentioned. Plugged it into my computer, playing out of the computer speakers, sounds like streaming audio quality ;-)

Old 01-03-2006, 11:27 AM
bzn by
4th Gear
We have the XM in our mini and love it, sounds great, really clear, the only thing I don't like is if you are on a tree covered road, the reception cuts in and out.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:44 AM
FUEGO
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the MINI/OEM Sirius in my '05 MCS and love it. Sounds crystal clear and definitely much better than FM. I just wish the scrolling data wasn't disabled on the OEM unit.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:40 PM
G8RMNI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aDeLoreanGuy
All the online reviews I've read that compared Sirius to XM in terms of sound quality found that Sirius was the worst. One review said XM was like FM radio without static, while Sirius was AM radio without static!
I wondered about that. I installed an XM unit on my dad's boat and it sounds a lot better than the sirius unit I have. I think the xm units may use better parts and smarter circuitry or something...

Old 01-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
I've got the external sirius plus holder/fm transmitter and it sounds good - not compressed.

I've used it in various cars and boat as wellas home boombox and it sounds great.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:16 PM
nvus111
2nd Gear
I had XM in my truck (wwi a kicking system) and loved the sound of it...very full, and satisying.

In the mini, I have the OEM headunit with Sirius, and I find it to be acceptable, but thin and not quite as satisfying as the XM...but I chalk that up to a less than impressive H/U, and not necessarily the satellite feed....I can configure the sound system to meet my needs as soon as an integrated H/U with Sirius AND BLUETOOTH IS AVAILBLE.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:21 PM
flashaggie
1st Gear
I got the Sirius Starmate and I love it. I think it sounds great. I was transmitting FM until I got the aux port. That really helped.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by FUEGO
I have the MINI/OEM Sirius in my '05 MCS and love it. Sounds crystal clear and definitely much better than FM. I just wish the scrolling data wasn't disabled on the OEM unit.
Try holding down the INF button for a few seconds. Bingo, scrolling enabled.

The only catch? It doesn't store this setting, so you have to turn it back on every time you start the car. It's the only thing I don't like about the OEM SIRIUS solution.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:43 PM
schlick
2nd Gear
I have a Kenwood deck with an add-on Kenwood Sirius tuner, and it sounds better than FM and just as good as CDs in my opinion, I love it!!!

Old 01-03-2006, 04:51 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bzn by
We have the XM in our mini and love it, sounds great, really clear, the only thing I don't like is if you are on a tree covered road, the reception cuts in and out.
Pesky satellites