Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Wireless iPod connector

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 07:10 AM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wireless iPod connector

I got an iPod nano for Christmas along with a Monster iCarPlay Wireless to play ITunes wirelessly through the FM. I haven't opened it yet because I'm wondering if it's going to be acceptable. My option is to return it and get a Mini iPod adaptor for my oem non-HK head unit.

Is an iPod adaptor that much better than the wireless transmitter?

hs

Old 12-28-2005, 07:26 AM
ahamos
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes.

The wireless (FM) adaptor option reduces the signal bandwidth to the FM band, which is significantly narrower than CD or MP3 reproduction quality. You'll notice stifled highs, compressed mid-range, and occasional bouts of distortion.

The Ice>Link Plus (not sure about Nano compatibility) and the iPod adaptor give you an unimpeded signal, making your stereo the weak link.

I think I've read somewhere that FM only has something like 16KHz range, where the human ear has ~20KHz range, so you're losing a significant portion of audible tone through an FM transmitter.

The only downside to the integrated adaptors can be the introduction of engine noise into the audio system through unshielded cables, but I haven't heard any complaints of this through the MINI-branded iPod adaptor.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:08 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
The ONLY upside to the FM transmitter - convenience. I hate them, but I have one too... for when I'm travelling and in someone else's car, who doesn't have an Aux input. FM transmitted tunes are better than NO tunes!

Consider keeping the transmitter for situations like that but also buying a wired solution for your MINI.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:14 AM
hoopi
3rd Gear
They are handy for convenience, but you'll get better sound from either the AUX input or the IPOD adapter for the stereo. I'm using the AUX cable now and upgrading to the IPOD interface kit when Mini releases the new one (rumored for feb).

Old 12-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Ladidah
6th Gear
I am going through the same debate over solutions for my Christmas iPod. I have talked to someone with the Monster thingy and they said the sound of it is great. Unfortunately it is not someone who lives nearby so I cannot judge for myself.

So then I move on to thinking about the AUX input, the MINI iPod adapter or the Ice Link Plus. I have the 5G 30 gb video iPod and I have read that earlier accessories might not work with this model iPod since it has no top accessory connectors, it only has the bottom dock thingy (I think the Nano is the same in that regard).

Is the AUX input really that easy to install? Where is the cheapest place to buy one, or are they all about $40?

Old 12-28-2005, 11:19 AM
hoopi
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ladidah

Is the AUX input really that easy to install? Where is the cheapest place to buy one, or are they all about $40?
You buy them at the dealer.

My first install took 10 minutes, the second one 5. On the 2006 the AUX input cable snaps into the back of the stereo. The basic installation consists of:

1. Remove knee bolster on driver side (it just pops out at the top)
2. Carefully insert cable at correct orientation on back of stereo. I used a small mirror and flashlight to see the back of the stereo WITHOUT removing it
3. Route cable
4. Snap knee bolster back into place

The instructions from the dealer talk about mounting it in the glove box. Since mine is just temporary, I just ran it under the dash through to the center console and plugged in my Ipod cable. If you do a permanent install with the face plate, add another 1 hour or so to figure that out and get it in a spot that you like.

My setup uses the AUX input on the stereo combined with the Belkin (white) Ipod setup - the Belkin connects to the dock port on the Ipod, sends the sound back to the output on the base, which is connected via an audio cable to the AUX under the dash. It works great, sounds good, and the Belkin charges the Ipod at the same time. The Belkin also has an audio output voluem control on the base to control the line input on the AUX port. This lets you limit the output volume to control distoration. It works pretty well.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:28 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
The Aux adapter will work with your 5g iPod, it connects to your headphone jack.

The Icelink should also work with your 5g as well, as it also doesn't use the now defunct accessory connector but instead the dock connector. However there have been reports of iPod's behaving strangely when connected to the Icelink, so like any other Icelink installation bring a lot of patience if you decide to go that route...

Old 12-28-2005, 12:18 PM
hugh
5th Gear
Of course with only the aux connector, I won't get any data on the radio display and you know how small the screen is on the Nano. I think the Mini iPod adaptor is the way to go, OR, this might be the final motivation I need to get an Alpine head unit and $100 Alpine iPod adaptor. That way I can scroll through the tracks on the iPod using the mfsw button or the Alpine controls.

Correct?

Old 12-28-2005, 12:23 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
I can vouch for the easy install of the Aux input. It took longer to figure out where to mount it than it did to pull down the knee bolster and plug it in. I mounted the input behind the cigarette lighter (found this on a NAM thread). I also picked up a charger for my Nano this Christmas which has an adjustable holder complete with line out for the Aux input. Now I just drop the Nano in the holder, it stays charged up and the Aux input sounds great using the line out. It sounded great to me even with the headphone socket before.

http://www.xtrememac.com/chargers/microflex.shtml

Old 12-28-2005, 02:35 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hugh
Of course with only the aux connector, I won't get any data on the radio display and you know how small the screen is on the Nano. I think the Mini iPod adaptor is the way to go, OR, this might be the final motivation I need to get an Alpine head unit and $100 Alpine iPod adaptor. That way I can scroll through the tracks on the iPod using the mfsw button or the Alpine controls.

Correct?
You're right, however there are a few things about the MINI iPod adapter you should know about.

1) Doesn't display any ID3 tag data.
2) Only 5 (or is it 6) properly named playlists are recognized by the iPod adapter.
3) A revised version of the iPod adapter is supposed to be coming later in 2006, hopefully it will address these shortcomings.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:57 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i too have to agree that the wireless FM modulator is not that great.
I have a programmable one I use on my civic and know its limitations.

when you modulate signals using a cheepo converter, the frequency
band is noticiably narrower and dynamics diminished.

MP3 does not have the best sound, but it still has a lot more
dynamics and fidelity vs a cheepo FM modulator.

it is convenient though.

i also recommend getting the OE standard aux input so you can hook up
other playback modules too.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:34 PM
hugh
5th Gear
Watch me steal my own thread and add to the choices...

Has anyone else seen the new Crutchfield catalog? It features two new head units: the CDE 9852 and CDA 9856. Both say "built in iPod controls; just plug it in and go. Both under $200. If your power needs are modest, the '52 is 16wpc and the '56 is 18. They are "iPod ready...no adaptor needed."

Today, I called Alpine tech support to find out more. They said "no info available until the second week in January." I called Crutchfield and it was the same story. "Product available in February...no further info available." BTW neither the Alpine or Crutchfield websites show the new products.

Me, I think I'm gonna return my wireless FM modulator and just wait awhile.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:57 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hugh
Watch me steal my own thread and add to the choices...

Has anyone else seen the new Crutchfield catalog? It features two new head units: the CDE 9852 and CDA 9856. Both say "built in iPod controls; just plug it in and go. Both under $200. If your power needs are modest, the '52 is 16wpc and the '56 is 18. They are "iPod ready...no adaptor needed."

Today, I called Alpine tech support to find out more. They said "no info available until the second week in January." I called Crutchfield and it was the same story. "Product available in February...no further info available." BTW neither the Alpine or Crutchfield websites show the new products.

Me, I think I'm gonna return my wireless FM modulator and just wait awhile.
I saw those two Alpine units in Crutchfield today too. I have to admit I was a little interested in the plug and play iPod connection in the ad. I would be interested to know if it would function through the MFSW controls though. I don't think it would be worth it if they aren't supported. If they are supported that would be a great deal. A new head unit and iPod integration for about the same as an ice-link...not bad.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:01 AM
hugh
5th Gear
Originally Posted by weezer2282
I saw those two Alpine units in Crutchfield today too. I have to admit I was a little interested in the plug and play iPod connection in the ad. I would be interested to know if it would function through the MFSW controls though. I don't think it would be worth it if they aren't supported. If they are supported that would be a great deal. A new head unit and iPod integration for about the same as an ice-link...not bad.
That was the same question I had for Alpine Tech and Crutch: is there a hardwire socket for msfw like there is on the 9851,'53. and '55. I'm still enamored of the looks of my oem head unit, but if they have the mfsw capability then I think I'm ready to part with it. I heard the Mini stock speakers being driven by an Alpine head unit putting out 18 watts per channel, and I was totally impressed with the improved sound.

Guess we'll have to wait till next year to find out. Happy New Year!

Me & Buck