Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio What is the best iPod adapter for the Mini Cooper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 04:16 PM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best iPod adapter for the Mini Cooper?

OK so far here are the options:

1.) Stock BMW/MINI Ipod adapter - This would be a no brainer if BMW/Mini wouldn't charge so much for installation. My dealer quoted me $399 in Hawaii and they told me I can only have either the IPOD adapter or the auxiliary port. I've read here and there on the forums that there is a way to get both but....

2.) USASPEC from Crutchfield.com - Looks like it has everything anyone would want and it only costs $119.99. This one has an ipod adapter and an auxiliary port.

3.) Iwonder Cable interface from www.advancednavigation.com - Another winner with both aux and IPOD connections. This one is $129.99 and comes with free shipping.

4.) Dension Icelink - $199.99 from Best buy. Comes with a sexy cradle and is supposed to be high quality.

So out of these four, what do you guys recommend? I'm leaning towards crutchfield because their manuals that ship with the products and top notch and so is their tech support. Can anyone tell me if one is superior in sound quality than the other? Please do tell me if one is known to be of shoddier quality than the others. Thanks one and all.

--pyratio

Old 08-15-2005, 04:22 PM
peakness
1st Gear
Same Question here

Can Anyone Help with this, please? I'm ordering my Mini now, and have to decide immediately. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-15-2005, 04:46 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AUX input

all the adapters are a joke, nothing visible on the screen or the HU, with the aux, at least you can see what song your on!

Old 08-15-2005, 05:04 PM
fj0
5th Gear
Hell I took the plunge and went for Alpine CDA-9853 + KCA-420i, their alpineinterface.

The HU is 220-250$ off of eBay and the interface is everywhere from 50-100$, so it's about 100$ more on the dension but you get a much more advanced Headunit and better sound.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:13 PM
searocko
4th Gear
I have both the OEM MINI iPod interface and the aux input for satellite radio. They plug into two separate ports in the back of the radio. The dealer is mistaken that they're mutually exclusive.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:27 PM
rpgsat
1st Gear
song titles on HU

I have the icelink plus. I got it direct from Dension. The one from Best Buy has a long cable designed to be plugged in in the boot. Mine connects directly to the HU.

Anyway, I love it. I have an HK and I get the names of the songs and arttist displayed on the HU

Randy

see some of my work at: http://www.artincorporated.com/Randy%20Gay.htm

Old 08-15-2005, 06:30 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second the vote for the auxiliary input jack. It's a small fraction of the cost of the other systems (especially if you install it yourself), has no bugs to work out, and you have full functionality of your iPod instead of sticking to a maximum of five playlists ().

Old 08-18-2005, 12:46 AM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
best ipod adapter

--thanks everyone! I opted out of the ordering the ipod adapter or the auxiliary with my car. I figure I'll add it on later when I find out how much music I'll need. the stock deck plays mp3's so I think I'll be happy with that. also it does look really easy to install the aftermarket stuff or factory stuff later. I'm hoping the dension models will come with an additional auxiliary port too in the future. so far they are the only ones that can play all the playlists and display mp3 song titles.

Man I wish the dealers weren't so greedy on the install costs. Thanks again everyone.

--pyratio

Old 08-18-2005, 05:53 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 08-18-2005, 07:58 AM
sacpwrguy7
1st Gear
Best Ipod Adapter

I have both the Dension Ice Link ($199.00) and the Aux Input Cable ($40.00). Started with the Aux Input but then needed power adaptor and had to put up with cables and such. The Ice link provides power to keep the ipod charged on those long runs, allows for either ipod control or playlist control thru head unit (you can switch back and forth) and provides steering wheel control of both volumn and track. I opted for the ipod cradle so I can drop it in and slip it back out (quick and easy like). Both options work great, it comes down to how much you spend and how clean you want the install to look.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:16 AM
schooner2
4th Gear
There are several thing you have to consider, If you have the bmw or aux input install you have to put the ipod in the glove box, not very easy to access to change playlist or tracks if you have the aux input. The Aux jack does not charge the ipod so then you need more euipment to keep power to it. With a aux jack you have to turn on/off the ipod everytime, just becomes a pain, and if you forget to turn your ipod off in the glove box you have a dead ipod and no music. The Bmw one is good, but will only play special playlist that you have to create but not that bad, The biggest down side is you have to pay bmw to install the thing which gets costly!! Now an Ice- link can be installed very easy, it has a cradle to hold it where one can get to easly to change playlist, the cradle hold the ipod so its not flopping around. I charges the ipod, I turns the ipod on/off with the car and from input to input on the stereo, you can change tracks from the MFSW. The Ice link and the Bmw one takes a Line Feed out from the bottom the Ipod making for cleaning music verse plug a hed phone jack into the top of it and then you have to make sure the volume is set just right for the output, Kind of a pain. I am Sure best buy is not going to charge as much as Bmw will to install the ice link, I installed my ice link in under an hour. So there are a few things to consider!!

Old 08-25-2005, 02:59 AM
weeone
1st Gear
Ipod adapter

I got the BMW iPod adapter for $149 and have my iPod in the glove box. My boyfriend installed it in about an hour. He said it was easy. I have a 2002 S so the idea that the adapter only works with 2003 and newer cars is not true. The playlists are no big deal as long as you name them right. The iPod is always charged and it can be controlled by using the steering wheel controls.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:11 AM
L8RG8R
2nd Gear
I have the BMW integrated iPod adapter as well and I love it. The only thing is that the head unit does not support ID3 so you can't see what song is playing. But, for me, I don't really need to know since I am the one who loaded the music in the first place :smile: Never have to worry about running out of juice. Playlists are easy enough to manage and the A/C in the glovebox keeps it cool. Also, from a security standpoint, there is never any issue with you forgetting to put it in the glovebox and having it stolen! Using the steering wheel controls is a piece of cake.

A hardwired solution is the best way to go.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:44 AM
simplygriff
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Originally Posted by fj0
Hell I took the plunge and went for Alpine CDA-9853 + KCA-420i, their alpineinterface.

The HU is 220-250$ off of eBay and the interface is everywhere from 50-100$, so it's about 100$ more on the dension but you get a much more advanced Headunit and better sound.
I currently use the aux jack and it's nicer than using the old tape adapter I used in my RSX. I picked up a Belkin Tune dock that holds the iPod in the cup holder on Target clearance for $7.50 (retail is $30) but, I have an Alpine CDA-9855 and a KCA-420i on order.
-G

Old 08-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Lrigyttiw
1st Gear
Aux Port fan!!!

I wrangled with the decision of what to have installed also, before I actually got my iPod. When I did, I was so excited, that I didn't want to wait for the dealer to install it. I opted against the interface because I didn't want to be limited to just the 6 HU buttons. I'm a list maker and I have a playlist for every mood, every genre, etc. So I ordered the Aux port from outmotoring.com.
http://outmotoring.com/mini_auxilary_audio_input.html
I installed it myself in about 15 minutes. It took a little time to feel for where to insert the plug on the back of the HU, but it popped in, I turned everything on, and it worked! The Aux port cost me $41.95 (tax included). I did have to purchase a gold tipped 1.5 male to male stereo headphone jack cable to connect to my iPod ($3.50). I also purchased the Belkin Auto Kit, which is the auto charger with the little cups that have the telescoping holder for the iPod, and I have a wireless remote to control the iPod, so I don't actually have to fool with the iPod. It's positioned to where I can see what track/playlist is playing. The only wire/cable that's showing is the charging cable, but I have that velcroed out of sight, on the side. The Aux/stereo cable is hidden inside the panel underneath the toggle area, and I threaded the end of the stereo cable through one of the vent openings. Neat and tidy. If you have any questions, let me know.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:51 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by L8RG8R
I have the BMW integrated iPod adapter as well and I love it. The only thing is that the head unit does not support ID3 so you can't see what song is playing. But, for me, I don't really need to know since I am the one who loaded the music in the first place :smile:

A hardwired solution is the best way to go.
well, do you want to tell me what songs are playing with my 1700 songs on my ipod?

i'll stick to an aux input

Old 08-31-2005, 12:56 AM
weeone
1st Gear
Any option that works well for you is the best right! The worst thing about this site is when people get rude or try to act like their idea is the only idea. I have 10k songs on my iPod but I know each song so it doesn't matter to me if I can read the title or not. If you like to read, good for you. I am glad there are options our there for all of us!

Old 05-28-2006, 09:03 PM
acitydweller
6th Gear
Originally Posted by searocko
I have both the OEM MINI iPod interface and the aux input for satellite radio. They plug into two separate ports in the back of the radio. The dealer is mistaken that they're mutually exclusive.
This is something i am looking to do however, is this still the case if you have the factory NAV system installed?

any help here appreciated