Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Help: antenna/antenna wire problems

Old 06-30-2005, 09:51 PM
kar2n
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: antenna/antenna wire problems

Thanx in advance for reading.

Okay...2002 MCS...all options but NO Navigation. Changed HU to an Eclipse CD5444.

AM/FM reception is fine. 14 months later. FM reception weaker and AM reception is really bad.

Thought it might be my antenna amplifier. Had my ICE tech check it out and he discovered that it was the antenna wire/antenna that was faulty. No splices in the antenna wires. Just plug/play adapters. He took a small antenna and plugged it directly into the radio. AM reception inproved a bit. FM about the same. Plugged the antenna into the antenna amp which was plugged into the HU. BIG improvement. AM and FM back to normal. Went back to the car antenna with antenna amp inline....back to the poor reception he started with.

Now the dealer says, "....have to check with factory rep. You may need to put your original radio back in and remove the tint from the rear window."

So, i push my service coordinator for a definitive test. I do not want to put radio back in (can't do it myself...bad klutz!) and remove tint unless i KNOW that a definitive test can be made that the car antenna and wire are fine. I asked if we could put another MINI next to my car and run an antenna wire from the second mini to my antenna amp/HU. He refused. He will get back to me but lets me know that i will have to show up when the factory rep is there to get a real ruling.

UGH!

So, my questions:

1. After searching both North American Motoring and MINI2, it appears that either the rear window or the right rear window has an antenna built in? If it does, i cannot see it. Clues please, and remember i do not have NAV.

2. My service coordinator said that i have a single antenna wire from the front to the back and then it splits to 2 feeds, one to the rear roof antenna and one to the rear window antenna? Is this true? [I asked to get a copy of the service manual wiring diagrams showing the antenna wire and runs. They said that the manual only shows the antenna wire behind the dash/console.]

3. If the factory rep refuses to authorizes investigation and repair, does anyone have a suggestion for installing a totally new, single roof antenna (in the same spot) that would take care of AM/FM (...yeah i am an SF Giants baseball fan and need AM).? My tech's said it will be about a 4-6 hour job....opinions?

Anyway, i will press BMW/MINI to PROVE that my HU, radio and/or tinting is the cause of the problem. I tried to explain that for more than a year, everything was fine. Any comments/opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Americonium
2nd Gear
You can install a hidden antenna. It mounts up under the dash, and will work fairly well with your aftermarket head unit. http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/44UA20.htmlThat is the least expensive I could find it, however you may want to Google 44-UA20 and shop around for yourself. Good Luck.

Old 07-03-2005, 03:58 PM
kar2n
1st Gear
thanx...& how well has it worked for you?

Thanx Americonium.

Why did you install this unit and NOT use your Mini antenna system?

How well does it work for you? Does it perform as well as your stock radio/antenna system?

Currently trying to take out my rear seats to check out the diversity antenna amplifier. Wish me luck but your experiences may allow me to stop before i hurt my car!

Old 07-03-2005, 05:50 PM
kar2n
1st Gear
Grrr! Had to give up!

Spent a couple of frustrating hours trying to remove the rear seats. Did not want to break anything. I even used the following great link but i could not get it done.

http://punkey.net/mini/howto-stereo.html

Guess i have to leave it to the professionals to help me check the diversity amplifier.

OR if the amplifed AM/FM antenna is good, i may just by-pass the labor of fixing my Mini antenna system.

Stay tuned.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Americonium
2nd Gear
kar2n,

I don't have this installed in my Mini Cooper. However, I have installed it in cars that have removed their antennas (shaved) and still needed to have FM and AM reception. It's not the best solution, however, it is one of the less expensive. Good luck, what ever you decide.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:46 PM
kar2n
1st Gear
AM/FM back to normal

Thanx for everyone's help and input. The final chapter to this story is located at MINI2. Here is the link to my post ---

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthrea...37#post1800637