Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio How to: Update Nav software/enable British voice

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 12:13 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on another successful mod!!! Glad to hear everything went smoothly!

re: Directional arrow
Hmmm, I never noticed that. It doesn't seem to do that on mine, although I've never really noticed--uhm too busy driving?

Richard
Originally Posted by UUNetBill
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the British hack. I've already dubbed her "Eliza" and I love the way she directs you to the Motorway! Ha!

I did notice, though, that the directional arrow in the right hand pane seems to flicker more - the solid arrow, that is - the outline arrow is fine. Not sure if this did it before since the wife never lets me drive Earl. . .

Seriously, thanks again for the info - I might upload the German voice files to the Spanish button - might be fun to be directed onto the Autobahn!

Bill

Old 03-19-2005, 08:43 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went so smoothly that I burned another disc with the German language files to replace the Spanish. Now I just need to see if I get directed to the Autobahn!! What great fun. . .

Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Congrats on another successful mod!!! Glad to hear everything went smoothly!

re: Directional arrow
Hmmm, I never noticed that. It doesn't seem to do that on mine, although I've never really noticed--uhm too busy driving?

Richard

Old 03-25-2005, 05:31 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
My 2002 MINI (CD NAV, not DVD) used to have British and German. A computer replacement (under warranty) changed the languages to American and French. Anybody know how I can get back to German and British?

Old 04-13-2005, 05:49 PM
manutd
2nd Gear
I'd like to have the British voice for my NAV as well. But my question is that will she talk in metric system since I'm from Canada? I'll be a little lost if she tells me to make a left in 3/4 mile

Cheers
Stephen

Old 06-22-2005, 04:27 PM
templar345
Neutral
I just picked up my Mini cooper convertable and it had the Woman's British Voice is that unusual?

Old 06-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
No, some time in 2005 they changed the voice options from USA/Spanish/French to British/USA/? (Spanish?) IIRC
So you don't have to hack like some of us did to get the Brit.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:32 PM
templar345
Neutral
Yes, my options are GB/USA/Spanish. Thanks for clarifying

Old 06-28-2005, 10:39 PM
MikeG
Neutral
Brit Female Voice -Standard (and other ramblings)

I found this whole topic pretty interesting. Had me thinking I must have missed something somewhere because when I took delivery in Nov 05 the Brit Female was already set as the default voice. So I was a bit confused as to what all the hubub was about (hacks, mods, etc.). I get it now. My car already had the "upgrade" when I got it.

I have bought the 2005 Navteq DVD (as you know there was no 04 version). I haven't noticed any great differences in the data. So I'm not really sure thea the $200 was well spent. I'm told by Navteq that BMW will not order the 05 version of the DVD until the exhaust their stocks of the 03 version. My question is.who's going to knowingly order an 03 version from BMW when the new one is available? That's crazy!

Somebody needs to tell Siemens that this interface for finding businesses (stores, restaurants, whatever) absolutely sucks. The nav unit usually has no problems fining someplace if you know the street address, but do a search for Home Depot in Huntsville, AL and it will never find it. I don't know if thats a Navteq db issue or an issue for Siemens search software in the unit itself.

Mike

Old 09-14-2005, 06:05 AM
WeeGas
3rd Gear
Burning Trouble

I downloaded the ZIP file from the BMW site and used WINRAR to extract the data. The navigation software is now up to V25 and the files that it contains are:

BMW Navi V25.ccd
BMW Navi V25.img
BMW Navi V25.sub

My problem is when using NERO to burn a CD Image it doesn't recongize these files as being legitimate CD Image files.

Are these files the right files? Have I gone completly dumb and don't know which file is which? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:12 AM
WeeGas
3rd Gear
Nevermind

I went back and downloaded V24 of the s/w update and it went exactly as described in the first post.

So now I've got an updated s/w package and a sweet British accent to boot.
Thanks for the great writeup OctaneGuy.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:59 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Good job!! I haven't worked with V25 yet, but from what I understand other than the wording of Freeway being changed, there aren't any changes.

Glad you got it working!

Richard

Originally Posted by WeeGas
I went back and downloaded V24 of the s/w update and it went exactly as described in the first post.

So now I've got an updated s/w package and a sweet British accent to boot.
Thanks for the great writeup OctaneGuy.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I am running V25, I didn't have any problems with the CD image. When I get time I'll try to track it down, see if I still have the image file, and if so, find a way to send it along.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:37 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Woohoo!! I just did this.. I have a british female voice now...i mean..my car does...

Worked perfect

Old 11-15-2005, 01:00 AM
sly
Neutral
Nav OS: change the written text language (not the voices)

Hi guys,

I've already read the post that talks about how to change the voices in Bmw Nav OS and here I would like to discuss how to change the language of the written text that is shown at the navigator display.

I'm using the OS v24 and I've found in it a directory called "LANGUAGES->0200" that contains some files like "GB_M", "USA_M", "E_M", "I_M" and a file named "Language.list.
I've open them and I've found that they contains also the sentences that are shown by the Nav display. I THINK (that is, I'm NOT SURE) that it should be possible to change the language of written text just renaming these files. For example, if your navigator OS shows only GB,USA,E language and you want that the written text will be in french, you should only rename "E_M" to "E_M.bak" and "F_M" to "E_M". In this way you should get the written text in french: remember that when you choose the language in your display you still will see "E" as Spanish but the language will be set to French.

I know that it can seems not so clear but it is the same procedure that has been explain to change the voices.

I would like to know if everyone knows if this is the right procedure to change the language of written text or if this is wrong!!!

Help me,

Denis

Old 12-06-2005, 05:41 PM
biting squirrel
Neutral
nav system

i am waiting on my 06 MSC. Do you like your nav system? is it a pain as it needs CD's?

What are your thoughts?

Bitingsquirrel

Old 01-10-2006, 10:58 AM
krenzkes
4th Gear
Can the British female voice be loaded for other commands such as the bluetooth system? It seems like the voice options are the same for bluetooth system as for the nav system. How can I load thevoice files without a nav system?

Old 02-09-2006, 09:40 AM
klaaz
Neutral
Originally Posted by sly
Hi guys,

I've already read the post that talks about how to change the voices in Bmw Nav OS and here I would like to discuss how to change the language of the written text that is shown at the navigator display.

I'm using the OS v24 and I've found in it a directory called "LANGUAGES->0200" that contains some files like "GB_M", "USA_M", "E_M", "I_M" and a file named "Language.list.
I've open them and I've found that they contains also the sentences that are shown by the Nav display. I THINK (that is, I'm NOT SURE) that it should be possible to change the language of written text just renaming these files. For example, if your navigator OS shows only GB,USA,E language and you want that the written text will be in french, you should only rename "E_M" to "E_M.bak" and "F_M" to "E_M". In this way you should get the written text in french: remember that when you choose the language in your display you still will see "E" as Spanish but the language will be set to French.

I know that it can seems not so clear but it is the same procedure that has been explain to change the voices.

I would like to know if everyone knows if this is the right procedure to change the language of written text or if this is wrong!!!

Help me,

Denis
I am also looking for translation to dutch text in screen. I have an older software that is in dutch language (text) but cant find where the difference are.
I think there must be an config file where you can change the language ....

Old 02-15-2006, 07:10 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
looking for the Brit chick ...

I just installed V26.
I will do ANYTHING (be nice now) to get a disc that will load the brit vioce.

please...

Old 02-21-2006, 12:15 PM
dbert4
1st Gear
Has anyone actually tried to get the EURO version of the OS software? It will get rid of the US mandated warning screen. I"ll be in Germany and the UK in a couple of weeks and I"ll try to get a hold of one.

Also does anyone know if their are maps available from TeleAtlas or another company? I had there disks with my Audi and they were much superior to the ones from BMW.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:07 AM
mr_edly
3rd Gear
This is nothing new -- it's just not posted in this sticky 'til now.
Instructions to score the British female voice with the current firmware (v.27):

Check posts 104 and following at this thread

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&postcount=104

Old 09-04-2006, 10:21 AM
timallen20
2nd Gear
I tried following Octane Guy's advice using ver 26 (4-1/60) and I tried to do the "surgery" to get the Biritish voice, but I must have done something wrong because it updated the version but not the voice. There are several additional directories in 26 versus 24 and I guess ver 26 needs some more renamings of files or some such (?).

Then I followed the link Mr Edly created (see above) and now I am in business. British voice with version 27 (4-1/70). For the record I have an '03 MCS (Aug 03 build) with DVD.

The only note I would add to Mr Edly's fine post is that for ftp noobs like me--you cannot link directly to his ftp download, you need to use an ftp program like SmartFTP and make sure you enter user and password that he provided.

Thanks to both of you for the easy instructions!

Old 11-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Tweety's Mom
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lhoboy
My 2002 MINI (CD NAV, not DVD) used to have British and German. A computer replacement (under warranty) changed the languages to American and French. Anybody know how I can get back to German and British?
Same thing happened to my 2003. I want the British accent back but am wondering if this mod will work for my 2003. Anyone? Anyone??

Old 11-27-2006, 01:19 AM
mr_edly
3rd Gear
I think the short answer is not without the dealer's help, and dealers aren't going to want to touch a working unit for fear of having to replace it.
The voice swap hack works for the DVD-based MKIV, but I haven't seen/heard of any similar success with the CD-based MKIII like you have.
Also, it sounds to me like the MKIII is a bit less robust when it comes to flashing the firmware: there are many more reports of toasted MKIII systems due to flashing than MKIV systems.

The long answer is embedded in braindumped links below.
-Ed

http://www.x5world.com/navigation-sy...age-mk3-2.html
(The "Yes" answers in this thread apply to the MKIV, not the MKIII. No positive results with the MKIII.)
DO YOU HAVE MKIII (CD BASED NAV??)
At this point, I haven't seen anyone successfully update any CD based Nav systems to the British voices. You can update to the latest software, but the voices don't appear to be easily changed.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=33528

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=35168

http://www.x5world.com/navigation-sy...3-v27-mk3.html
quote=sambusik
I've tried a bunch of things, and nearly 10 CD-R's later, nothing has worked.
It seems the MKIII simply doesn't like it if you do anything to the ISO image and re-burn the CD.

Here's what I tried:

#1 I extracted the files onto my PC. Then I renamed the files. I burned a new CD using Roxio (and also later using Nero). The Nav actually told me an incorrect CD format was in the unit.

#2 I renamed the files inside the ISO using UltraISO, then burned the CD right out of there. I get the whole Nav-dead blank screen thing.

At least I'm able to get everything back to normal by sticking a normally burned CD into the unit.

If anybody figures this out, please let me know!
Thanks!
[\quote]
http://www.x5world.com/articles/all-...ystem-faq.html

http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_GPS_Nav...formation.html

Originally Posted by Tweety's Mom
Same thing happened to my 2003. I want the British accent back but am wondering if this mod will work for my 2003. Anyone? Anyone??

Old 12-19-2006, 10:10 AM
KiwiJochen
Neutral
Don't hack the nav disc, use NavCoder

My app NavCoder allows you to properly set and change the 3 x languages to whatever you want.

This changes the whole vehicle, and the nav system loads the new languages from the nav disc

It's been tested on many different BMW nav systems (Mk2, Mk3, Mk4) and works well :-)

I'll upload a copy

Old 01-21-2007, 09:58 PM
mrskippy
1st Gear
Just installed the new v28 in my 2004 MCS.

I noticed that there were USA/GB voice files in a couple of different places on the disk. So I just renamed them all. Worked like a charm!

The two biggest things I've noticed from my old version (24? stock-2004) is that the car indicator now stays in the center of the map and the map moves around it, AND the car indicator actually stays pointing up. (Instead of "mostly-up" in the previous version.

The only thing I wish they had (that I miss from my TomTom) is speed-sensitive zoom. You go faster it zoms out, slower it zooms in. Quite nice actually.

Oh well. At least I've got new software and a sexy British voice to go along with it.

Thanks for the info!
-Scott

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio How to: Update Nav software/enable British voice