Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Flashed My Sat Nav System Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 03:04 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flashed My Sat Nav System Tonight

**** This is what I get for posting at 3AM. This post is ONLY about how to update the software of your CD/DVD Nav. It has nothing to do with adding video inputs. Sorry.*****

Did you know you can update the software of your Nav just by downloading a file from the net??? To find out what version you have, you go into the Settings menu and look at the upper right. You should see a 4-xx/xx

In my case it was 4-1/12. The 4 refers to the MIV of DVD version of the BMW Nav systems. The current latest version is 4-1/40. It looks like a huge jump, but it's really 4-1/12, 4-1/20, 4-1/30, and now 4-1/40

You can see the full chart here:
http://x5world.net/navfaq.htm

Ignore that this page refers to the BMW X5. The nav info is the same.

To update your software, go to this link
http://x5world.net/nav_os.htm

Click on Version 24 and download the file.
This file is known as a CD IMAGE, and was created using software called Nero.

The file has been compressed in the RAR format, so to decompress it you need Winrar (http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm) or (www.pkunzip.com)

Now go to this URL
http://www.ahead.de/us/download_demo.php?pak=1
And download a free trial of NERO

Once you install it, run NERO

Select BURN IMAGE TO CD

Now just take this CD, and insert it into the DVD NAV player found under the passenger seat. If all goes well, your NAV screen will say it's reading the CD and the Update process will take about 6 minutes. It's actually much quicker.

After about a minute, it will tell you to eject the CD and click OK, then it reboots.

What are the updates?

Well visibly, the outside termperature is now displayed on the lower left corner which wasn't there before. Under Route Preferences, there is a new Avoid Ferries, and some of the wording has changed. More significantly, the languages were reduced from 5 to 3. I think I used to have German, now it's just USA E F (english, spanish, french)--I may be mistaken though.

There are supposed to be some other improvements, which I haven't noticed yet. This update does not get rid of the ACCEPT screen and it does not give you the female British voice.

All in all, I think it's a worthwhile update, and easy enough to do yourself.

Old 11-23-2004, 05:13 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
would like to here more about your VIDEO INPUTS.

Old 11-23-2004, 06:39 AM
sambusik
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OctaneGuy,

This only applies to the DVD version of the Nav system?

Old 11-23-2004, 06:56 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Does this apply to 03 with DVD drive?

Old 11-23-2004, 07:40 AM
berky
2nd Gear
The voice of the NAV

I am getting my MCS tomorrow, but i am curious. Is the voice of the NAV male or female? I would really like a throaty female voice with a British accent....well i can dream. "turn left hun"

Old 11-23-2004, 08:09 AM
OctaneGuy
Sorry if I mislead anyone. This post is all about how to update the Software of your NAV to the current software. It has no impact on video inputs. That was just the inspiration for my search when I found out how to update my software--which was something else that I was interested in. This update CD works on any MINI CD/DVD Nav model. I have an 03 MC which has just turned to the DVD aka MKIV. I believe the CD version is MKIII, which would mean your software version (under Settings) would begin with a 3 instead of a 4.

If you're interested in adding video to your Nav system, the least expensive deal I've found is here.

http://www.navwithtv.com/

Read the last post of here:
http://www.bmwnavigation.com/forums/...hp?threadid=19

You need to tell the people of NavwithTV that you saw an ad on BMW Navigation.com and they will sell it for $399 instead of the listed $499

As I understand it, this will give you a Video input into your NAV so you can plug in a DVD. There is no TV tuner at this price level.

Also, another factor is that the BMW Input, which I believe this is based on, will shut the screen off when the vehicle is in motion. There are ways to disable that, but I'm not sure if it can be done with the $399 model.

BERKY:: There is some debate on this. As I understand it, most of the voices are an American Female, however in some instances people are getting a British Female option. I read in one instance a guy with an 05 Convertible got the American Female, while another 05 Convertible got the British Female option. The MAP CD's were identical as were their software versions. It's interesting also because you can view the Navtech DVD contents on your computer with a DVD-ROM drive and you can see British Voice files on the 2003-2 DVD. I have the 2003-1 DVD which doesn't have it. But as I understand it, if you never had the British Female voice, there really is not known way to get it. Some say it's a configuration item when the NAV is installed that determines that.

Happy searching and flashing

Old 11-29-2004, 07:36 PM
stereo144
Neutral
Excuse my ignorance, but downloading the v24 file and loading it to my nav system only updates the firmware and there isn't any map data that is updated right? i have 4-1/20 right now.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:51 PM
stereo144
Neutral
I found the answer to my first question, but I have another. Will updating the firmware delete my address book? I tried a search and couldn't find anything. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:12 PM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
maybe we can forget about to spend over $400 for some mods to make a TV out of our Nav.

Here might be a alternative. $400.00(same price) but labor and New PS2 included.
The best thing,,,, Not everyone has one!

Old 11-29-2004, 08:53 PM
OctaneGuy
$400 PS2 & Labor
OMG I love it!! i was thinking about the exact same thing--wasn't sure if anyone had done it yet. Where can I get one?? Please PM me.

Steve:
No, flashing won't affect your address box entries. In fact, just another bit of trivia--even if you remove your car battery, your entries won't be lost. By the way, since I flashed my Nav, searching for entries has signficantly improved in speed--I'd say on the magnitude of 3 to 5 times faster. It used to take awhile to pull up an address, but now it's practically instantaneous. Of course I was on the first software revision too, so maybe that's why.

And no, the flash won't affect map data--only a new DVD can do that. Btw, the current DVD is 2003-2. I have 2003-1. If you go to Navtech's website, they say the dealer has an update--so I assume that's the one. As I understand it, the first DVD update is free--atleast that's what I've heard.

Originally Posted by chrisfb1
maybe we can forget about to spend over $400 for some mods to make a TV out of our Nav.

Here might be a alternative. $400.00(same price) but labor and New PS2 included.
The best thing,,,, Not everyone has one!

Old 11-30-2004, 10:19 AM
djasonw
1st Gear
Mine has the British gal

Just picked mine up last week. Changed to the British guidance and the menu choices are a bit different (though understandable). I like when she says "Go straight on to join the motorway". Gotta love it!!!

Old 11-30-2004, 10:52 AM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
how did you got the british version?

i want one, I never got it in my car.
please let us know.

Sorry to hijack the thread!
OctaneGuy
stuff you need with the Visors:
visor come in whole piece with cable and TV tuner built in and remote(pretty awsome)
you need a battery convertor for PS2(home outlet plug)
some cables for the set up you want(i have mine working with PS2 and my camera).
you need to do a small modification to the visor to make it fit(the tube is too long, i turn it into a bigger turn in the end of the tub).
the visor is a two screws part(very easy) you just got to spend an hour on the wiring yourself to put where you want it.
hope this help

Old 11-30-2004, 10:57 AM
OctaneGuy
That's sweet!!!

Hmm, did you paint yours white? The pic looks brown.
http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_...l/SV-5010R.htm

Also, I guess you had to remove the headliner to feed the wires. Was there any concern about the airbag nearby??

how did you got the british version?

i want one, I never got it in my car.
please let us know.

Sorry to hijack the thread!
OctaneGuy
stuff you need with the Visors:
visor come in whole piece with cable and TV tuner built in and remote(pretty awsome)
you need a battery convertor for PS2(home outlet plug)
some cables for the set up you want(i have mine working with PS2 and my camera).
you need to do a small modification to the visor to make it fit(the tube is too long, i turn it into a bigger turn in the end of the tub).
the visor is a two screws part(very easy) you just got to spend an hour on the wiring yourself to put where you want it.
hope this help

Old 11-30-2004, 11:48 AM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
the one i got was gray.

not very good to match the color, but it does not bother me at all. since the headliner is kind of gray anyway.

you can got the wires out from the right corner of the headliner next to the pillar. pretty easy for me since i got a small hand . I wired the wires from the a pillar down to the floor thru the rubber thing round the door(hide them under it(Only two wires).
all the cable get together in the plastic panel next to the floormat.
I wire the rest of the cable into the glovebox since the NEW PS2(the smaller version) is in there and the camera cable.

The visor is cig lighter powered so i use the one from the boot and wired them to the back seat(under the seat) .

You will not see any wires at all after than. only the power cable for the PS2 in the boot since the power convertor in in there.
eveyrthing is plug and play. you can take the ps2 out and play it at the house(buy another set of cabel and power cable from game shop-used for $10).

it is pretty cool to keep the special friend occupy during long trip. also when power went out in my house(summer storm season) i was having fun with my GT3 in my MINI(full power)

Old 11-30-2004, 11:49 AM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
BTW, OctaneGuythe one you see is not the 7" right?
the 7" version have the best resolution

Old 11-30-2004, 11:52 AM
OctaneGuy
No, I just clicked the 5" one. Is the visor the same size? One more thing, does the visor still work after installation? Not that they worked before, just curious.

I love what you did. I've been thinking about getting a PS2 for sometime, and being able to use it in the car and in the house is cool.

Thanks!

If you got pics, I'd like to make it an article on my site--with your credit of course.

Richard

BTW, OctaneGuythe one you see is not the 7" right?
the 7" version have the best resolution

Old 11-30-2004, 12:04 PM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
haha!

I have done the PS2 since summer time. I won the AtlantaMinis "best Modified Award" but i really dont want to show off the stuff since i'm not sure how it wil turn out in the long run.
Friends call it the Sea Turtle. It is time to resurface!
Is this what you want?

I can take more pictures as soon as i get the car cleaned! the rain has been here in the past two weeks. every two days!
Let me know!

Old 11-30-2004, 12:08 PM
OctaneGuy
Hey I see you got the best glove box organizer made by GOMINIGO! Hehe heh...sorry, not like this thread hasn't already gotten waaaaaaay off it's path.

The Sea Turtle??? Hahaha, thanks for the pic. LOL

Richard

haha!

I have done the PS2 since summer time. I won the AtlantaMinis "best Modified Award" but i really dont want to show off the stuff since i'm not sure how it wil turn out in the long run.
Friends call it the Sea Turtle. It is time to resurface!
Is this what you want?

I can take more pictures as soon as i get the car cleaned! the rain has been here in the past two weeks. every two days!
Let me know!

Old 11-30-2004, 01:56 PM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Anyone else notice that the FAQ over at X5World says that the V24 update will add MP3 info text (presumably from an MP3-CD) to the navigation display on E83 (X3) and E85 (Z4) vehicles? I wonder if this is possible with the MINI? That would be awesome.

-mike

Old 11-30-2004, 02:08 PM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
if it is like that. I might need to shop for a 05 head unit!

D**n it, there always reason to spend more money!

Old 11-30-2004, 02:17 PM
OctaneGuy
I saw that too--would be great to get confirmation from someone.

My head unit doesn't support mp3, so I can't test.

Richard

Originally Posted by mlebeau
Anyone else notice that the FAQ over at X5World says that the V24 update will add MP3 info text (presumably from an MP3-CD) to the navigation display on E83 (X3) and E85 (Z4) vehicles? I wonder if this is possible with the MINI? That would be awesome.

-mike

Old 11-30-2004, 04:17 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Hey...I've got one of those GOMINIGO organizers. Didn't know it could hold a PS2. My son's gonna want spend more time in my Mini once he discovers where it went First, I need to save up for the screen because of you guys

Old 11-30-2004, 04:53 PM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
oh come on.

you just down from paying 400 for the Nav screen to play video to under 200 to play PS2.
it is a great news for you.
Of course, it is very cool to play video thru NAV screen, but just think, what is gonna happen if you on the road using Nav and girlfriend/wife/kids/friends wants to watch DVD?
Visor works out perfect from that, i can see it when driving so it dont bother me at all.
It has a plug for headphone too so i can even listen my own music!

God, I'm a suck a good salesman! anyone has a better paying job for me?

Old 12-03-2004, 12:35 PM
buz
3rd Gear
NERO is nada

Octaneguy,
I'm trying to get the NERO demo. The link indicates that there is no current demo available:

Important notice:

This is NOT a DEMO-Version!
New free demo package will be available soon.

If you don't have a valid serial number please don't download this packages!

If your download does not start, click here.

Description : Filename: nero6601.exe Release date: October 25th, 2004 Filesize: 28.03 MB (29392739 bytes)
Any suggestions?
TIA

Old 12-03-2004, 12:39 PM
OctaneGuy
That's weird. When I click the Nero link it still downloads the file. But I guess they changed the links.

Try this

http://www.ahead.de/us/nero6-ultraedition.php

Ok I found the file I downloaded. I downloaded it on 11/23 and it looks like the same version. Looking at the install folder it says I have a NERO Demo. I can put this file on an FTP if you want.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Flashed My Sat Nav System Tonight