Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

USB / Aux-In Socket

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 06:17 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,722 Likes on 1,386 Posts
USB / Aux-In Socket

How hard is it to replace the USB / Aux-In socket?
And, how do I know which one I have? -
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_2666

I "Think" I have an issue with the aux-in part of the module. Sometimes the sound will be muffled or only coming out of one side, until I wiggle the plug in the socket. It acts like its not making full contact with the plug unless it is lined up exactly right. And, when I grab the cable to plug in my phone, it wiggles just enough in the socket to skew to connection so that I have to wiggle the connection to get the sound to play correctly. I'd like to not have to think about it every time I plug my phone into the cable.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:19 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
If was me, I'd just call ECStuning, am sure they can figure it out. Then just order one from them while you got them on phone.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:25 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
looking at your realoem link it appears the numbers relate to differences in the connectors on the back. I'd pop out the old and CAREFULLY match what I see . . . .

This 'should' pop out from the front with the use of something to gently apply pressure. A 'trim tool' is simply a thin but strong piece of plastic to wedge in the slot and allow you to pry ..... there are substitutes .....

One popped out you disconnect the cables . . .

Old 02-20-2020, 01:29 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
If it does just pop out, I can give it a try... Can anyone confirm the USB socket will just "pop" out from the front of the panel with a trim tool?

Old 02-20-2020, 01:33 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
the pictures show the piece is just held in with plastic tabs .... it will pop out

p.s.

I presume you have eliminated any possibility it is the cable or the connector on the phone . . . . changed cables, tried a different phone/device

and it is possible it is a bad connection on the back of the part ... once you get the part out, I'd try reseating the connections on the back first . . .

Old 02-20-2020, 02:56 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
We have seen some the backs wiggle loose, connection pops off, and sometimes some inside goes bad (must be a connection or resistor). To match up the ones you have with the year and model, you look at the front and the rear of the unit. Sometimes the front are the same but MINI changed the pinout plug or the plug shape itself. MINI had so many versions and revisions of these things, its hard to match sometimes.

Its just pops out, use a little flat head you have for eyeglasses and such.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-21-2020, 10:11 AM
Lipofskyphoto
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Very easy to replace the AUX in. Pull the unit out and remove the connector.

You may want to try spraying electrical cleaner into the jack hole, or inserting an isopropyl alcohol soaked Q tip into the hle to clean it.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:23 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Thanks for the help. It’s not the cable or the rear connector, because when the signal goes out, I can wiggle the cable jack and the signal comes back.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:43 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
If it does just pop out, I can give it a try... Can anyone confirm the USB socket will just "pop" out from the front of the panel with a trim tool?
There is no way to pop out the unit from the front. The console need to be remove to access the clips from the back. I have been told this is a big job also because some dash trim pieces need to be removed.

This has been confirmed by another poster here as well as the dealer when the question has been asked. I have a similar intermittent problem with the Ipod connection.

Old 02-22-2020, 04:39 AM
Lipofskyphoto
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
With respect, Dube, you could not be more wrong.

I've removed the jack and center console multiple times.
I just went out to my car to see if I was hallucinating, but apparently, I'm not. I popped the jack out in less than a minute.

The Aux jack easily pops out from the front. Gently pry under the two edges on the long side. Remove the connector carefully and make sure that you don't let it slip back into the console. If cleaning it doesn't fix the problem, check local used auto parts yards. You can pick the jack up for very little$$. Of ten, they will let you remove the part, which you can now do easily.

As for removing the console, it's a very simple job that does require removing a number of trim pieces. Have a Torx T20 (google it if you are unsure) handy.

These instructions for Pelican are really good.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

The following users liked this post:
Minnie.the.Moocher (02-23-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 08:59 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Lipofskyphoto
With respect, Dube, you could not be more wrong.

I've removed the jack and center console multiple times.
I just went out to my car to see if I was hallucinating, but apparently, I'm not. I popped the jack out in less than a minute.

The Aux jack easily pops out from the front. Gently pry under the two edges on the long side. Remove the connector carefully and make sure that you don't let it slip back into the console. If cleaning it doesn't fix the problem, check local used auto parts yards. You can pick the jack up for very little$$. Of ten, they will let you remove the part, which you can now do easily.

As for removing the console, it's a very simple job that does require removing a number of trim pieces. Have a Torx T20 (google it if you are unsure) handy.

These instructions for Pelican are really good.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm
I tried before to remove it without success. There is no space on both side to even insert the smallest screwdriver without marring the trim piece.

Furthermore, mine is located on the bottom of the console and not on the side as most models. This is the reason why the console need to be removed on some models. I bought a Bluetooth device for my Ipod and it fixed the problem.