Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio CIC Nav retrofit - Potential dead unit?

Old 05-01-2019, 02:48 AM
Fraser
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CIC Nav retrofit - Potential dead unit?

Hi guys,

I've retrofitted a CIC system to my LCI R56 S.

Nothing is turning on - speedo and warning lights works fine as expected but main nav unit doesn't appear to be coming on (orange light ring around volume **** not lighting up).

The screen and the controller also aren't doing anything.

I've checked all of the connections and tested with a multimeter - all plugs are getting power (including Can high at circa 5V and can low at just over 0V) which I beleive is correct for the infotainment system in an idle state.

If the head unit was faulty, would this prevent the other units from powering up? I'm sure I read on a BMW forum that the CIC unit tells the screen and controller to turn on over the CAN network? Does anybody know if this is true?

Thanks

Old 05-01-2019, 05:28 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
is this CIC system from another mini? or an after market system?

can you post a picture of what you have and perhaps a link to the system you bought?

is this the original head unit or was it part of the cic system you got?

did you try putting back your original setup to see if the head unit works?

Old 05-01-2019, 05:36 AM
Fraser
Neutral
The CIC system is from another mini - it's the factory CIC nav system from the LCI R56's (not sure if it was from an actual R56 or one of the other models but it's the correct CIC rather than the old CCC.

I purchased the full setup - CIC head unit, CIC screen/speedo and media combox - I followed the retrodfit install guide on here for all of the wiring etc.

I'll try and dig out a link from the system I bought, it was a while ago now though.

Not tried putting the original back in yet - I've not got access to it at the minute - but I will try after the weekend - but as as all of the plugs are getting power I assume it will work.

Thanks.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:50 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
good clarifications...The screen has two plugs, 1 is for power and CAN bus signals, and the other plug is for "video" signal straight from the head unit. if the screen isnt displaying anything and you dont hear white noise from the speakers, i'm led to believe the head unit is not getting power. There is a fuse at the back of it you should check by the way. finally, when the system works, the navigation will NOT work because the unit has to have you VIN coded to it (may require a dealer trip). unless there is another trick i'm not aware of.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:03 AM
Fraser
Neutral
Thanks.

I've tested the main harness into the back of the head unit, and the plug into the screen - both have power as they should. Hence me wondering if it's the main unit which tells the screen and controller to activate.

I've changed my VO coding to remove the old boost radio and include the new nav system and combox.

My CIC unit doesn't appear to have a fuse on the back? A quick look through eBay also suggests that this might only be present on the Pre-LCI nav systems which were the double unit (if that makes sense).

Regards,

Fraser.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:10 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Got you...adding the VO is not enough...back in the day when I had to replace my head unit, the nav icon was not lit to be selected. I guess the for now the focus is to get this system running. Did the seller indicate the condition of the unit?