Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Stock Radio Replacement Success no Programming (apparently)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 01:39 PM
carwhisperer
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stock Radio Replacement Success no Programming (apparently)

Yesterday I replaced the radio in my 2007 JustaMini. I've had the car for a year. The FM channels never worked but AM, aux and CD did. Then 2 months ago the radio started shutting off, changing functions, generating loud white noise then stopped working altogether. 2 weeks ago I noticed a rip in my driver's seat. I found a wrecker here in the Sacramento Area called Euroline. The guy sold me a nice seat and a stereo with speedometer for $225. I watched a video on radio replacement. The basics are that keep removing panels until you can see the screws that hold the radio in. If you can see screws on a panel then it has them. If not, pull it off pretty much straight out. The exception is two screws that go through the center defrost vent that hold the radio cover panel itself on. While I was in there I tightened a bunch of screws.

I didn't have any programming done nor any codes or anything after replacement.

The new radio seems to work as it should. The display, which wasn't working before in warm temps, is working well. I didn't do any programming. The job took me about 5 hours altogether. The dash rattles I had seem to have gone away also. I hope everything keeps working.

The following users liked this post:
PistNBroke (05-02-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 06:19 AM
Redleif
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When your original unit went, did you lose the entry/key-in-the-ignition chimes? I bought the vehicle with the dead OEM radio and can't determine if the lack of chimes/sounds is because the radio controls it.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:56 AM
carwhisperer
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No I didn't but that's an interesting question. With this new radio my chimes are much quieter. Although it's slightly disconcerting because it's different, I actually like the new sound level.

After almost a week everything seems to be working great (fingers crossed)

Old 05-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Redleif
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hm, yeah the previous owner may have replaced the unit or the FCM and not recoded with the VIN or something. Not sure why my chimes are dead. I may just have to take it to the dealer.