Complete audio install

Old 12-31-2018, 04:02 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Complete audio install

Hi motorers,

*I know I should post this in the F60 section but it applies to any F series as well*

My current F60 is my 4th MINI since 2003. I did complete audio install on my first 03 R53 and liked the result.

My F60 came with base stereo (4x 4inch, 2 underseat subs), with no tweeter. It sounded ok, but not that great! Last year, I got all 4 speakers replaced with Bavsound stage one upgrade and it did a little improvement over stock, especially by adding tweeters.

Last month, I decided to take it a step further and get an aftermarket 5 channels amp and 10” subwoofer, among with an extra Bavsound speaker to add a center channel, and changed the underseat subs. Here’s a list of parts I used:

- Bavsound stage one coaxial speakers (4)
- Bavsound midrange and tweeter (made for Harmon Kardon system) for the center channel
- Rockford Fosgate (RF) R600X5 multichannel amp
- RF R400X4 4 channels amp
- RF DSR1 DSP with iOS app
​​​​​​- Earthquake SWS 6.5” underseat subs
- TechnicPNP harness

The Bavsound speakers upgrade is pretty straightforward, just remove the door panel and swap speakers.

The center channel is bolt-on, the brackets for midrange and tweeter are there, I only wired a speaker cable to feed it from the amp.

TechnicPNP harness got me inputs (front-rear) for the DSP but I couldn’t get the speakers output to work from it. Last year, I disabled ASD with Bimmercode, so I might have to do with it. I used the speakers output from the ASD module itself and tapped in the speaker wires from
there.

Underseat subs were a little harder. I had to modify stock enclosures to get the to fit. Not a big deal, but no going back to OEM from there. I wired cables to each underseat sub and got rid of the OEM parallel setup with front speakers, which is great for adjusting front speakers and underseat subs independently, with appropriate crossover, eq, and gain.

I used Rockford Fosgate DSR1 DSP to get 8 channels from the OEM 4 channel input. The DSP had the ability to produce a center channel... and it sounds great! Lots of adjustments to play with.

For the amps, I got remote turn on from the headunit fuse (using a add-a-circuit fuse holder).

The R600X5 drives front/rear speakers and the 10” sub
The R400X4 drives the center and underseat subs

Car chimes, nav, backup chimes,... all works fine.

Wiring the car was not as hard as it seems. The panels come off easily and go back in place as easy.

Pics below...

Last edited by DarkMiniCooperS; 12-31-2018 at 04:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DarkMiniCooperS:
bratling (01-06-2019), Gavin Mazey (01-25-2019), Minnie.the.Moocher (04-05-2019)