Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Head unit only HK swap. Axxess Ax-Bm9112 worked

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 06:35 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Head unit only HK swap. Axxess Ax-Bm9112 worked

I wanted to upgrade the HK in my 2006 so I could have Bluetooth and SirisuXM, but I didn’t want to replace the speakers and amp. Crutchfield suggested the Axxess Ax-BM9112 adatpor kit, and I went about installing it a couple of days ago. It worked well. I have a new head unit in, which sounds good with the factory amp and speakers, and the steering wheel controls work fine. Building the wiring harness was only slightly more involved than a typical head unit, and there was one error in the instructions that seemed to indicate I’d need to connect the red, yellow and black wires from one of the supplementary boxes to the harness, while it appeared to me that all but the red was already wired. The only other complexity compared to other installs I’ve done was finding space for all the little boxes. I had to arrange them somewhat carefully and push them down behind the hvac controls. I wrapped each (and my bundle of wire connectors) in a strip of towel to keep them from rattling back there. I left out the xm tuner and velcroed it the back of the underdash panel, since it wouldn’t fit in the center column, and it had a long enough wire to allow for that. That made the final antenna connection a little easier, too.

A detail specific to my install is that my factory unit had the iPod adaptor on it. I removed the main box but it leaves some wires attached to the harness. Two cables connect with a 4- or 6- pin connector, which I originally had disconnected. My first attempt didn’t power up the head unit, so I reconnected those two cables and tried again with success.

As is typical with Crutchfield, they gave a significant discount on the installation parts, and the instructions they provide were very good ( the error noted above was in the instructions from Axxess.) The other parts I needed - and wouldn’t have known I needed - was a faceplate and an antenna adaptor. So, again I’m happy with Crutchfield.

The following 2 users liked this post by mslatter:
greystone (03-31-2021), khnitz (06-20-2021)