Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio R53 (2004 MCS) Metra Axxess ASWC install help requested

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Duaneo
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
R53 (2004 MCS) Metra Axxess ASWC install help requested

Folks,

I've done a bunch of digging, and have found a couple of threads that appear to give me an answer, but the answer provided isn't working for me. It's also not clear if the cars involved are actually R53s. I am hoping that someone out there has successfully installed the Metra Axxess ASWC in their R53 (or R52 or R50).

I've got a 2004 R53 without the H/K audio, and I have installed an aftermarket stereo (Sony DSX-S310BTX) and I am having trouble getting the ASWC module to work. I have connected the power wires (red and black) to the correct pins (16 and 12 respectively) and I have connected the pink wire to pin 9 (i-bus - white/red/yellow) and it's not working. The unit powers on, and goes through it's auto detect sequence. After the sequence, it blinks 7 times, and then four times. As I understand the installation instructions, it is seeing the sony unit, but it's not detecting signal on the pink wire.

I have had the unit flashed by Metra (kudos to them for flashing it, and mailing it back so promptly.)

I have also tried having the blue/pink wire connected to pin 9.

The (mercedes) installation page their tech sent me to had me the blue/pink to 9 and the pink to 11, but I can't see how that will work since there isn't actually a wire on the 11th pin of the harness.

Of course, I have also tried the steps of pressing up volume repeatedly and constantly during the auto-sensing step.

SO, has anyone successfully gotten this set up in their R53? What am I doing wrong? I'd really prefer not to have to take this out in favor of the competitor's unit which is supposedly HARDER to install.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Duane

Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 PM
robert99b
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an R52 Cabrio S with HK "premium". Just upgraded the the headunit (Sony MEX-BT5700U, couple years old) and speakers, and the Axxess ASWC. When I put the Axxess interface in initially, it did not work. it goes through the self detect, then finally returns with constant flashing red. I found the 3.5mm plug from the Axxess did not seem to fit into the back of the headunit well, so I filed down the plastic part of the 3.5mm plug from the Axxess interface, pushed the jack in as far as it would go, then it worked. Is your Sony HU the same way, with the jack recessed into the back of the HU? Maybe the plug isn't all the way in?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Duaneo
2nd Gear
Thanks for the response! Based on my understanding of the diagnostic light, it is correctly identifying the head unit. Can you tell me which wire colors you matched to which harness wires for the communication with the car?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Socially Distorted
2nd Gear
Where did you end up with your install? I'm in the same boat with the unit detecting both the head unit and the signal wire (to pink) with my Alpine (7 blinks on both). Then constant blinking and no control at the steering wheel.

I've got the pink tied in to the white/red/yellow dot wire at the wheel. Is the pin 9 location on the radio harness where we should be connecting the pink wire (pin 9 location) which is white/gray stripe/butterscotch yellow dots...??? This is with the Boost head unit BTW.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Duaneo
2nd Gear
I've been meaning to do a complete writeup on my new stereo install, but I've gotten distracted.

I finally got the straight scoop directly from Metra. Basically the R50, R52, and R53 minis aren't supported by their box. They can't manage to make them work. They're working on it, but they were clear as of Feb 2012 that they didn't have a solution on the horizon.

That's the bad news. I looked seriously at (and actually purchased) the PAC-SWI, which is the only other unit I could find, but I wasn't excited about clipping harness wires to install my kit. For whatever reason, I want the mods I make to be reversible, and cutting harness wires doesn't fit with that ideal.

Here's the GOOD NEWS. I ordered this kit from the UK and it works like a charm! Seriously, first go, hook it up and it works. No harness cutting, no complicated manuals to read, no buttons to hold down, no standing on your head, just basically plug and play. It costs 25 Pounds + shipping, but in the end it's cheaper with shipping than the Metra or PAC kits. One installation note, it comes with a female harness connector, plus the european ISO connectors for the back of the stereo. I'm guessing you don't have a european stereo. Since my dash was already pretty crowded with wiring harnesses I decided to clip the three wires to these two harness adapters (one of which wasn't going to fit my stereo anyway, requiring ANOTHER set of adapters) and just hook the three wires to my existing bundle (+12V, Ground and Data) and the 1/8 plug to the back of my Sony.

Done and done.

One last note, I discovered after getting everything working, that my new 50w stereo was overdriving my stock 15w speakers. It's worth it to replace your speakers. My new ones sound FANTASTIC.

One other note, If you have done anything involving panels in your mini, and need to replace some of those stupid plastic clips that hold everything in place, they are hard and expensive to come by. This same UK site sells the clips for significantly cheaper than I could find them in the US. It might be worthwhile to throw a few extra bucks at the site to get some clips. The shipping cost isn't going to change any.

A third note, the UK site defaults to "heavy" shipping, which you won't need for this kit + clips. Be sure to save yourself some cash and select the cheaper "air ship in an envelope" option. While you're at it, make sure that there aren't any other toys/mods/addons you want from this site that you want to lump in with your rather expensive air shipment. I have found that it has a different flavour of stuff than the US sites do, so it's worth poking around some.

Cheers,
Duane

Old 04-14-2012, 05:48 AM
Socially Distorted
2nd Gear
Thanks Duane. Just got my RMA tags from Amazon. Metra Axxess ASWC is getting pulled and returned.

I'm pretty disappointed with Metra. I contacted them directly before purchasing and they said is should work fine with the latest update. My build date was 3/7/2012 and it FAILED.

Before the Metra Axxess ASWC, I tried the PAC-JACK / PAC-SWI kit and it failed too.

Next up - newministuff.com interface kit. Crossing my fingers it'll work as perfectly as yours did. I really want those controls functioning!

BTW, I am running the Alpine CDA 9887 to a PDX5 supporting Hybrid Audio Technologies Clarus c61-2 with a Morel Ultimo SC 10. The stock door speakers are pathetic compared to the HAT Clarus set.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:20 PM
pew1375
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Update on the axxess unit.....
It now works with the R53. Hook ground and power up as normal, and pink wire only to the white/red/yellow dots wire at the harness. Not at the steering wheel side as with the PAC control. I researched and found nothing, and only received these instructions after sending a threatening email to metra. If anyone needs any other info let me know!!

Old 09-28-2013, 06:48 AM
tallpaul
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Duaneo
I've been meaning to do a complete writeup on my new stereo install, but I've gotten distracted.

I finally got the straight scoop directly from Metra. Basically the R50, R52, and R53 minis aren't supported by their box. They can't manage to make them work. They're working on it, but they were clear as of Feb 2012 that they didn't have a solution on the horizon.

That's the bad news. I looked seriously at (and actually purchased) the PAC-SWI, which is the only other unit I could find, but I wasn't excited about clipping harness wires to install my kit. For whatever reason, I want the mods I make to be reversible, and cutting harness wires doesn't fit with that ideal.

Here's the GOOD NEWS. I ordered this kit from the UK and it works like a charm! Seriously, first go, hook it up and it works. No harness cutting, no complicated manuals to read, no buttons to hold down, no standing on your head, just basically plug and play. It costs 25 Pounds + shipping, but in the end it's cheaper with shipping than the Metra or PAC kits. One installation note, it comes with a female harness connector, plus the european ISO connectors for the back of the stereo. I'm guessing you don't have a european stereo. Since my dash was already pretty crowded with wiring harnesses I decided to clip the three wires to these two harness adapters (one of which wasn't going to fit my stereo anyway, requiring ANOTHER set of adapters) and just hook the three wires to my existing bundle (+12V, Ground and Data) and the 1/8 plug to the back of my Sony.

Done and done.

One last note, I discovered after getting everything working, that my new 50w stereo was overdriving my stock 15w speakers. It's worth it to replace your speakers. My new ones sound FANTASTIC.

One other note, If you have done anything involving panels in your mini, and need to replace some of those stupid plastic clips that hold everything in place, they are hard and expensive to come by. This same UK site sells the clips for significantly cheaper than I could find them in the US. It might be worthwhile to throw a few extra bucks at the site to get some clips. The shipping cost isn't going to change any.

A third note, the UK site defaults to "heavy" shipping, which you won't need for this kit + clips. Be sure to save yourself some cash and select the cheaper "air ship in an envelope" option. While you're at it, make sure that there aren't any other toys/mods/addons you want from this site that you want to lump in with your rather expensive air shipment. I have found that it has a different flavour of stuff than the US sites do, so it's worth poking around some.

Cheers,
Duane
Hi Duane,

I was looking at the Sony DSX310Btx for my MCS 2005, the supplier sent me all extra parts needed including the Metra kit to keep the MFSW controls.

having read your post I will now get the unit on mini stuff that you used, so cheers for that.

One thing I'd love to fit is this https://www.newministuff.com/new/sho...uctshow&id=587

which would add the factory phone button but I'm thinking would it allow me accept and end calls using the bluetooth via the Sony DSX310Btx?

Also thinking of getting a set Alpine SPR 60c to improve the sound as the bog standard set up with a tape deck is pretty rubbish. Any thoughts on four good speakers to replace the standard ones,without fitting an amp?

thanks

Paul

Old 09-28-2013, 01:24 PM
tallpaul
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Duaneo

Done and done.

Cheers,
Duane
Hi Duane,

I was thinking of getting the DSX 310 and they told me I'd need the AXXcess kit for MFSW controls etc, gonna get the one you got now having read your post.

Looking at the ministuff site I was going to get the extra phone buttons https://www.newministuff.com/new/sho...uctshow&id=587

would this work with the correct interface to allow calls to be answered via bluetooth in Sony DSX 310?

many thanks

Paul