Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Steering Wheel Interface: Metra Axxess ASWC, PAC-JACK / PAC-SWI = FAIL!

Old 04-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Socially Distorted
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Interface: Metra Axxess ASWC, PAC-JACK / PAC-SWI = FAIL!

Just wanted to share my experience with both the Metra and PAC steering wheel interface kits available. In both installations on my 2006 GP, both failed. Don't chase the rabbit down the hole when considering either of these units. Between the time spent installing and the time chasing down programming issues with tech support - it just ain't worth it.

I'm moving on to the newministuff.com interface as a last resort - and hoping it is the end all solution.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:29 AM
sbeezy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think the ASWC is a POS I have had much success with all of the units I have installed in various friends cars always was a 10 min job... unless I had to manually program other functions with the extra buttons on the steering wheel, I think you either got a bum interface or the wiring was incorrect... I looked for hours last night to try to find a pinout for you but it was no go.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:52 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I also have issues with the PAC SWI on my GP with an aftermarket receiver.
I was able to program the SWI but it does causes a minor issue. Everytime I turn on the car the input selection changes three positions. For example, if I turned off the car while listening to FM, when I turn on the car it will forward a few inputs to something else such as iPod. I also could never get the up/down station buttons to work.

I called PAC about the issues and the tech said that sometimes there are problems with the signal from the SWI to the Mini computer. He said he could help me troubleshoot and it would probably require adding a TBD resistance value to the wire. I have not done that troubleshooting yet so I do not know if the issues can be resolved.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Socially Distorted
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newministuff.com plug and play adapter worked like a champ. So simple. Why bother with the others???