2012 R56 MCS - Few questions - North American Motoring

Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

2012 R56 MCS - Few questions

Old 01-11-2018, 03:30 AM
Neutral

2012 R56 MCS - Few questions

Hey everyone! New member here and I am in need of some consultation.

As the title says, I own a 2012 R56 MCS, and there are a few things I would like to do to it but since I want it to be perfect I've decided to look for some help.
I have used the search feature, but unfortunately with no results that had answers to my questions, so here I am.

1. I am in the process of installing a DVR in the car, and the only I know how to give power to the DVR is by using a "Piggyback Fuse" which is basically a fuse spliter (example).
Anyone have any better ideas? I have installed DVR's before and I have always used this solution. Never gave me any problems, but like I said, I'm looking to make it perfect.
Anyone have any idea if there are any free fuses in the fuse-box? any fuse that doesn't do anything and can be used for the DVR? If there is such a thing, anyone got a clue on what's the best way to use that free fuse?

2. My car is equipped with the Multi function Steering Wheel option, so I have the multimedia buttons on the steering wheel, including the phone button which is meant to be used to answer and end calls.
But, I don't have Bluetooth in my car, so the button is just useless and seeing it there just makes me angry knowing there's a button that doesn't do anything in my car.
So, I'm looking for a way to make it work. In my searches, I came across an official Bluetooth Retrofit Kit (LINK) and started looking it up.
Obviously it is not manufactured anymore, but you can still find it online for ~$700 which is pretty expensive. Anyone have any ideas besides this? Or a place to buy this for less?
The previous owner installed an aftermarket Bluetooth kit called Parrot 9200, which is cool, but that button on the steering wheel is driving me crazy.

3. I have Electric Folding Side Mirrors, but in order to fold them I need to flick the fold button myself. Anyone know if there's an option to change it so the mirrors will fold automatically when I press the lock button on the remote?

That's all for now, thank you for reading through my problems and an even bigger thank you for helping!