R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Had my 2012 S for few weeks, questions regarding shifting technique

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 12:34 PM
fizaddou
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my 2012 S for few weeks, questions regarding shifting technique

Hi everyone

I've had my 2012 S and learned to drive manual on it. I have a few questions:
At what revs do you guys change gears for non-aggressive around town driving?
Do you guys find that the car shakes when you engage/disengage the throttle in 1/2 gear? Even if I feather the throttle really gently there's still a bit of a shake.
Any recommendations on how to get better/smoother?
Any recommendations on how to maximize the life of my clutch?

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2017, 11:42 AM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
I change gears at 3,000/3,500 when non aggressive.

Can you please describe the shake in great detail? I don't think I have it. Sounds like possibly not matching engine revs to car MINI's speed. I have noticed at times I need to delay letting the clutch out to let the motor spin down a little more when up shifting.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:49 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Have a more experienced driver try the car out to see if you have clutch or other issues.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:03 PM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't have an s, but it is a 2012, and just had an issue with shaking in gears 1 and 2. Replaced the valve cover gasket (and spark plugs) and problem went away. Not sure if same issue as yours, but it was a relatively inexpensive fix.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:36 PM
fizaddou
1st Gear
My dad drove it and it was fine. My motorcycle sometimes does the same thing when i'm not very delicate with the throttle in the lower gears. Maybe I just have to be more careful?

I'll try and describe it better: in 2nd gear if i'm in the low RPM range, say 2000 and I engage and disengage the throttle the car lurches a little back and forth. Engine doesn't putter or anything like that. Same happens if I poorly time my clutch disengage during gear shifts.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:57 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
I hadn't owned a manual for many years before picking up my 2011 MCS 6 manual. I was pretty good and smooth back in the day with my Dad's 84 T-Bird turbo coupe 5 speed. And later his 89 Probe GT turbo 5 speed. The clutch/throttle in the MINI seems very touchy, and hard to get smooth shifts from, even with 3 years and almost 60k miles under my belt. (I bought it used at 21k) I am gonna blame the dual mass flywheel on this. It seems to be hard to rev-match perfectly. I CAN drive smoothly at times, other times, it seems a bit herky-jerky. When not "on it", I usually shift at 2500-3000 rpm's or so. I am at almost 80k on the original clutch, and it still works just fine. I feel the key to clutch longevity is to spend as much time off of the clutch pedal as possible. Only put your foot on the clutch pedal when needed, NEVER ride the clutch. That will surely burn out not only your clutch plate, but also your throw-out bearing. I usually drive alone, so no issues with the herky-jerky stuff. Even the wife doesn't complain when we go on trips, and she has had several cars with manual transmissions. Which she also burned the clutches out of. No room to talk. LOL! Practice makes perfect, or close enough! Motor On!

Last edited by renchjeep; 09-06-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:00 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by renchjeep
I am gonna blame the dual mass flywheel on this. It seems to be hard to rev-match perfectly. .... Motor On!
^^^^ Same thing for me....been driving manuals since 1967 and dual mass clutches are the most difficult to drive smoothly....

Old 09-06-2017, 06:43 AM
fizaddou
1st Gear
Originally Posted by renchjeep
I hadn't owned a manual for many years before picking up my 2011 MCS 6 manual. I was pretty good and smooth back in the day with my Dad's 84 T-Bird turbo coupe 5 speed. And later his 89 Probe GT turbo 5 speed. The clutch/throttle in the MINI seems very touchy, and hard to get smooth shifts from, even with 3 years and more than 60k miles under my belt. (I bought it used at 21k) I am gonna blame the dual mass flywheel on this. It seems to be hard to rev-match perfectly. I CAN drive smoothly at times, other times, it seems a bit herky-jerky. When not "on it", I usually shift at 2500-3000 rpm's or so. I am at almost 89k on the original clutch, and it still works just fine. I feel the key to clutch longevity is to spend as much time off of the clutch pedal as possible. Only put your foot on the clutch pedal when needed, NEVER ride the clutch. That will surely burn out not only your clutch plate, but also your throw-out bearing. I usually drive alone, so no issues with the herky-jerky stuff. Even the wife doesn't complain when we go on trips, and she has had several cars with manual transmissions. Which she also burned the clutches out of. No room to talk. LOL! Practice makes perfect, or close enough! Motor On!
Originally Posted by bugeye1031
^^^^ Same thing for me....been driving manuals since 1967 and dual mass clutches are the most difficult to drive smoothly....
Sounds about right! I drove my buddies mazda and it was WAY easier. What are advantages of a dual mass flywheels?

Old 09-08-2017, 12:31 AM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
https://www.phoenixfriction.com/t-pu...-flywheel.aspx

Somewhat of an explanation. Said to decrease NVH.

Last edited by renchjeep; 09-08-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:27 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
put shifting technique aside, you should be able to tool around as slow as you like in second gear. If it is bucking shaking at anything over 800 rpm there is something wrong.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:34 AM
mattiemo
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fizaddou
I'll try and describe it better: in 2nd gear if i'm in the low RPM range, say 2000 and I engage and disengage the throttle the car lurches a little back and forth. Engine doesn't putter or anything like that. Same happens if I poorly time my clutch disengage during gear shifts.
I believe you are describing lurching when you are in a low gear. I believe you need to work on smoothing you throttle movement. Example when you let off the gas the car slows down, having you slide foreword, in turn hitting the gas peddle again. this will give you a lurching.
It may help to adjust your seating position. I prefer my seat to be slid back so the ***** of my feet are controlling the peddles with my heal on the floor as a pivot point.
also as a temporary solution, depress the clutch as you let off the gas. (but you will get used to the gas peddle control and not need to do this in the future)

Old 09-08-2017, 07:36 PM
fizaddou
1st Gear
Excellent suggestions everyone thank you very much.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Kazmini
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my first manual, but not my first car..
she's definitely more jerky in green mode, but honestly I've learned the gas she needs in green mode while shifting and it's become quite pleasant...been able to really drive it like a 7-series honestly, while in green mode.
Sport mode, which is the only other mode I drive in, my daily mode, she slides into gears...
I've also noticed a huge difference with the shifting performance while the engine's at high RPM's. I definitely take off a lot more, chasing that seamless 1st to 2nd.
I'm also not 100% sure on my seating position, but I've got no one to tell me otherwise.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:36 AM
fizaddou
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kazmini
my first manual, but not my first car..
she's definitely more jerky in green mode, but honestly I've learned the gas she needs in green mode while shifting and it's become quite pleasant...been able to really drive it like a 7-series honestly, while in green mode.
Sport mode, which is the only other mode I drive in, my daily mode, she slides into gears...
I've also noticed a huge difference with the shifting performance while the engine's at high RPM's. I definitely take off a lot more, chasing that seamless 1st to 2nd.
I'm also not 100% sure on my seating position, but I've got no one to tell me otherwise.
Yes! It's much easier in sport mode. Is there any disadvantage to daily driving in sport mode besides more gas usage? Any reliability issues?

Old 09-12-2017, 08:44 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
No disadvantage to being in sport mode all the time. The only consequence is more smiles!

You may be more tempted to run the car harder but I think the MINI can handle it

Old 09-13-2017, 02:16 PM
Kazmini
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fizaddou
Yes! It's much easier in sport mode. Is there any disadvantage to daily driving in sport mode besides more gas usage? Any reliability issues?
as respectful I am of cars, considering I've waxed her five times since January (when I got her), it's a lease! Haven't noticed any issues at all. What i do notice is the dif in shifting between green and sport, but today in mid mode I think I noticed that shifts were actually super smooth. I'm going to continue to drive in sport to learn the clutch better. Find her very unreliable in terms of handling in my commutes when in mid or green! I need that power immediately.