Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Adding Bluetooth and Aux-In to an early R53 non-Aux head unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 02:51 PM
Brad5161
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Bluetooth and Aux-In to an early R53 non-Aux head unit

I installed this last September and meant to post about it. My car has the factory Nav package (useless now). I have an early 2002 R53 and adding the factory Aux in wasn't an option for my head unit. Found this on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121543173554...witem=&vxp=mtr

For around $70 I added Bluetooth, Aux in, MicroSD and USB playback and retained steering wheel controls. Easy install, very happy with the results. Works great with my Samsung Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Tab E tablet.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:21 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Very interesting. Great find.
Does this enable the phone steering wheel control?

Old 04-23-2017, 11:22 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad5161
I installed this last September and meant to post about it. My car has the factory Nav package (useless now). I have an early 2002 R53 and adding the factory Aux in wasn't an option for my head unit. Found this on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121543173554...witem=&vxp=mtr

For around $70 I added Bluetooth, Aux in, MicroSD and USB playback and retained steering wheel controls. Easy install, very happy with the results. Works great with my Samsung Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Tab E tablet.
It's up to $80-ish now. I just installed one in my 2005 MCS this weekend, I went back to the factory, non H-K radio. So far I am very happy. I can stream Pandora from my Galaxy S7 through Bluetooth and the sound quality is quite good.

I am told the telephone audio (on the receiving end) is better than what was provided by the Kenwood aftermarket radio that used to be in the car.

It has limitations, but overall I am pleased.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:39 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinR
It's up to $80-ish now. I just installed one in my 2005 MCS this weekend, I went back to the factory, non H-K radio. So far I am very happy. I can stream Pandora from my Galaxy S7 through Bluetooth and the sound quality is quite good.

I am told the telephone audio (on the receiving end) is better than what was provided by the Kenwood aftermarket radio that used to be in the car.

Good to know.
However, does this kit work with the stock steering wheel controls? Like the phone button to answer/call?

Old 04-23-2017, 07:12 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
I can't answer that question. My car does not have a phone button. Only the volume/up down controls on the left and the cruise controls on the right.

You can contact the seller through eBay and ask directly. He was very responsive to my questions.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:58 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by H_C
Good to know.
However, does this kit work with the stock steering wheel controls? Like the phone button to answer/call?
I just looked at the unit, it states that the steering wheel control works..

Functionalities:

-- Stream music on your phone wirelessly through Bluetooth ( Supports all smart phone with Bluetooth function)
-- Handsfree calling/Calls can be anwsered or rejected Both on Radio and Steering Wheel buttons
* Press button " next" to answer call & "previous" to reject call
-- Random Song Play ( allow you to play your memory flash disk song randomly )
-- Browse Song Play ( allow you to browse every single song in your folder for 20 seconds )
-- Folder and File Management
* Set up to 6 folders and 99 songs in a folder
* In radio display - folder will be display as "Disc" , file will be displayed as "Track" ( USB/SD music playback)
-- Charging function through USB connector@300mAh

After reading more, it does not actually use the mapped steering wheel buttons for answer and reject:
Handsfree calling/Calls can be anwsered or rejected Both on Radio and Steering Wheel buttons
* Press button " next" to answer call & "previous" to reject call

Old 04-24-2017, 07:04 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear

Seems like a decent unit, but what limitations are you talking about?

Old 04-24-2017, 09:03 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
The main limitation I see is that the connection is through the CD changer jack. This means no CD changer (not a problem for me) and no factory SIRIUS tuner (would be nice to have, but I can live without it). It also means the Bluetooth phone connection only works when you are in CD changer mode.

I have not experienced this yet, but apparently if the phone rings while you are in any other mode, you have to switch to changer mode for the Bluetooth operation to work. It makes sense, since the audio portion is run through the CD changer connection.

I will have to spend some time using it in the real world to decide if that poses a problem.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:55 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
The main limitation I see is that the connection is through the CD changer jack. This means no CD changer (not a problem for me) and no factory SIRIUS tuner (would be nice to have, but I can live without it). It also means the Bluetooth phone connection only works when you are in CD changer mode.

I have not experienced this yet, but apparently if the phone rings while you are in any other mode, you have to switch to changer mode for the Bluetooth operation to work. It makes sense, since the audio portion is run through the CD changer connection.

I will have to spend some time using it in the real world to decide if that poses a problem.

Last edited by gumbedamit; 04-24-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:58 PM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just got mine in the mail today...ordered it through Amazon. Will be installing it in the next day or so but will not be able to run it through any of the paces until this weekend. Here is another pretty cool gadget I'm considering... https://www.radiomize.net/

Last edited by Cenla Mini; 04-24-2017 at 07:09 PM. Reason: added link to cool gadget.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well...I went ahead and installed it tonight to test everything out and it works better than I hoped. The only thing I need to do now is find the best place to install in permanently and button up the wires. BT/Hands Free works awesome...have not tried the MicroSD or the USB but these should work equally well.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:06 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
I have a Euro parcel shelf on the driver's side. I mounted the control box to the underside of the top of the shelf area, above my right knee. I used red 3M mounting tape to secure it. One issue is that the microphone cable is right up against the steering column cover and it bends a little. But it works...