Navigation & Audio Apple Car Play ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Minor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apple Car Play ?

Has anyone heard if the 2015 or 2016 new Hardtops have the ability to add either Apple Car play or Android's version through or in addition to Mini Connected?

Old 05-28-2015, 12:52 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
They will not. MINI has said it's something they're looking at, but no immediate plans to add it.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Minor
1st Gear
Thank you, Siriuis. I guess this must be the same situation with parent BMW.

Do you think a software update could permit the existing system to accommodate Apple Car Play?

Old 05-28-2015, 01:20 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
I suppose it's possible, but BMW/MINI have never added that much functionality in an update before. What will probably happen if BMW does decide to adopt it is they will add it on for the 3rd gen LCI update in a couple years going forward.

Time will tell I guess

Old 05-28-2015, 06:08 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Minor
Do you think a software update could permit the existing system to accommodate Apple Car Play?
NO. The current system doesn't meet the Car Play hardware requirements (starting with lack of touch screen). Among car manufacturers, BMW has a particularly arrogant Not-Invented-Here syndrome, and I expect them to be one of the slower ones to adopt Car Play and Android Auto.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:07 AM
Minor
1st Gear
Thank you. Too bad. "Not invented here" tends to neither be in consumers' or manufacturers' interests. They make good use of the wheel yet can't claim authorship.

While there exists sufficient distinct brand protection, the iterative process benefits all.

Appreciate your reply.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:35 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
NO. The current system doesn't meet the Car Play hardware requirements (starting with lack of touch screen). Among car manufacturers, BMW has a particularly arrogant Not-Invented-Here syndrome, and I expect them to be one of the slower ones to adopt Car Play and Android Auto.
Irony: CarPlay not only does not require a touch screen, it was designed with BMW's iDrive controller in mind.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:55 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
Irony: CarPlay not only does not require a touch screen, it was designed with BMW's iDrive controller in mind.
True - there is a Youtube video that shows CarPlay in action using Audi's MMI **** exclusively, no touch screen. A touchscreen is NOT required for CarPlay - there's your proof. That being said, I don't expect BMW/MINI to put out any kind of backwards compatibility update to the existing cars with iDrive. iDrive 5 just came out on the new 7-series and X3/X5 and while it now sports a touch screen, still no CarPlay/Android Auto.

EDIT: found it:

Old 06-09-2016, 01:35 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
My bad on my post a year ago when I thought CarPlay and Android Auto require a touchscreen, which indeed they do not.

BMW announced commitment to both systems last November: http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/11/03/ap...g-to-bmw-cars/
They don't want to do it, but it's clear that otherwise they will lose sales. I very much doubt that current vehicles will be upgradeable by firmware to CarPlay or Android Auto. There is no incentive or motivation for BMW to make that possible.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:34 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
My bad on my post a year ago when I thought CarPlay and Android Auto require a touchscreen, which indeed they do not.

BMW announced commitment to both systems last November: http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/11/03/ap...g-to-bmw-cars/
They don't want to do it, but it's clear that otherwise they will lose sales. I very much doubt that current vehicles will be upgradeable by firmware to CarPlay or Android Auto. There is no incentive or motivation for BMW to make that possible.

Hyundai? or some other car company I can't recall right now, did do a software patch that added CarPlay for customers, so it's at least not unheard of.

(still not holding my breath though lol )

Old 06-09-2016, 05:01 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Found the article: http://blog.caranddriver.com/hyundai...apple-carplay/

Looks like it's newer models only (expected) with nav (makes sense - USB port required for updates) and it will be for a fee (not surprising).

At least it sets a precedence that at least ONE automaker is creating a path for their existing customers to get into CarPlay/Android Auto. I'm still not expecting anything of course

Old 06-10-2016, 12:51 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Good on Hyundai for pushing technology forward.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:52 AM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW has stated that CarPlay is coming to the X5, X6 in the next MY, which is mid-cycle. http://www.motoringfile.com/2016/05/...apple-carplay/

On WhiteRoofRadio they said they've heard rumblings of it coming to MINI in the LCI, which I believe is July next year.

Unfortunately I haven't heard anything about it being added as an update to existing vehicles.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:37 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TrueEddie
Unfortunately I haven't heard anything about it being added as an update to existing vehicles.
Update isn't possible because of hardware requirements: http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/11/apple-...mfi-standards/

Apple will have all of its CarPlay hardware go through the MFi program, which means the product will require an authentication chip that aims to prevent unofficial products from offering the CarPlay feature.

Hyundai was able to do it because they had planned and designed their system to support CarPlay, but the software just wasn't ready to ship when their 2015 models rolled out (but Android Auto did make it out at that time).

Old 06-12-2016, 01:02 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Update isn't possible because of hardware requirements: http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/11/apple-...mfi-standards/

Apple will have all of its CarPlay hardware go through the MFi program, which means the product will require an authentication chip that aims to prevent unofficial products from offering the CarPlay feature.

Hyundai was able to do it because they had planned and designed their system to support CarPlay, but the software just wasn't ready to ship when their 2015 models rolled out (but Android Auto did make it out at that time).
Makes sense and lends credence to the rumor that we'll see it when the Hardtops get the LCI refresh in a couple years. iDrive 5.0 (which requires new hardware) is just now starting to roll out on the BMW line (the new G12 7-series, X3, X5,etc.) and with the close technology sharing that exists between MINI and BMW now, the timeline makes sense for the MINIs to get iDrive 5.0 coinciding with the LCI refresh.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:34 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
I also found out from buddies that work for MINI, that BMW is rolling out iDrive 5.0 to the 2-series, 3-series, and 6-series in addition to the X3/X5 and 7-Series. As far as they know, iDrive 5.0 will only be on Nav-equipped cars. CarPlay support will come with it, but it will be a separate option (6CP) with Nav as a prerequisite. They weren't sure on cost, but it sounds like CarPlay will be a $300 option.

There's a short glimpse at the feature in iDrive 5.0 in this YouTube video for the refreshed 3-series GT (CarPlay menu at 0:27):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_b...ature=youtu.be

Another interesting change, as reported by Bimmerfile, is that wireless charging docks will be replacing the snap-in adapters in cars equipped with the enhanced BT feature.

Definitely likely we'll see these same changes coming to MINIs when the LCI refresh comes. Enhanced BT will already be standard in all MY2017 MINIs, though I doubt we would see wireless charging show up unless they redesign the armrests to fit bigger phones! They don't fit much as it is.

Bimmerfile post re: 2017 changes: http://www.bimmerfile.com/2016/06/10...ges-in-detail/

Last edited by siriuszero; 06-12-2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added links