Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio How to force MINI to rebuild its USB index?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 08:20 PM
pw4
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
How to force MINI to rebuild its USB index?

I have simple 8GB USB stick with a number of albums, all copied from my CDs on a Win8.1 PC. Worked fine in the MINI. Then I added some more albums to the USB stick.

The MINI will read the album and track listings for both old and new songs, but when I select a track from one of the new albums, it doesn't respond; when I hit "back" it says "Track not found" or words to that effect. The tracks that were originally on the USB still work fine. I reformatted the USB stick and gave the stick a different name and recopied all the tracks, old and new, onto the stick - same problem still. So I figure the problem has to be in the index the MINI builds in its own memory (and it must recognize the USB stick from hardware code rather than its software name).

Does anyone know - is there any way I can force it to rebuild its USB index?

(Standard radio, no nav unit, 2010 MCS LCI MY2011).

Old 05-24-2014, 11:29 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Is there anything different about the new albums (track format or encoding)?

I'm skeptical that the issue is caused by USB indexing. Try reformatting the USB stick and copying only the new albums. If the stereo no longer sees the old tracks, then it rebuilt its USB index (which I suspect it had been doing all along every time you updated the USB stick). If the stereo still can't play the new tracks, there is something about them that the stereo doesn't know how to handle. Try re-encoding one of the tracks into a different format and see if it helps.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:59 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Memory Stick

Maybe it depends on the year and firmware in the Mini?

I love using the Memory Sticks. Just bought a 8GB the other day for the wife's Countryman. Loaded it and works fine. Works in mine too.

Countryman 2013 basic stereo.
S Coupe 2013 loaded with Nav System Harmon Kardon.

I have used them in both cars. Like it better then an iPod. Using an iMac computer and iTunes. No problem so far.

Try setting computer to see hidden files and trashes and deleting those files. I also have deleted any PDF files. Besides that it has worked.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:02 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Type of Memory Stick

What type of Memory Stick?

I am using Lexar. The colored one that flip open. I also have used a Kingston DT Micro that sits flush - so tiny you can't see it. Works fine.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:21 AM
pw4
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Is there anything different about the new albums (track format or encoding)?

I'm skeptical that the issue is caused by USB indexing. Try reformatting the USB stick and copying only the new albums. If the stereo no longer sees the old tracks, then it rebuilt its USB index (which I suspect it had been doing all along every time you updated the USB stick). If the stereo still can't play the new tracks, there is something about them that the stereo doesn't know how to handle. Try re-encoding one of the tracks into a different format and see if it helps.
Sounds like a good plan - thanks, I'll give it a try.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:34 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts
I've had my thumb drive stop working a couple times, and both times it was fixed by deleting a hidden file called .fseventsd. If you've already reformatted, that shouldn't be the problem, though.

Sounds like an encoding issue to me. Are both the old and new songs ripped from CDs? Did you change encoding programs? What file format are they?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:23 AM
pw4
5th Gear
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did manage to get just one new album onto the USB stick, and it was by changing the destination folder for the CD ripping in Windows Media Player. Yes, I know that should have made absolutely no difference. But all subsequent attempts have failed.

At this point, it's not worth my time continuing. I'll just copy the CDs. Fortunately I don't have an F56 MINI which only comes with a USB port!

Old 06-21-2014, 04:25 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by chrunck
I've had my thumb drive stop working a couple times, and both times it was fixed by deleting a hidden file called .fseventsd. If you've already reformatted, that shouldn't be the problem, though. Sounds like an encoding issue to me. Are both the old and new songs ripped from CDs? Did you change encoding programs? What file format are they?
Re hidden files, I use a little Mac app called HiddenCleaner to remove all those before I eject the USB flash stick.

I've had occasional trouble with having a stick read. The problem is usually caused by audio files themselves, encoded in too high a bitrate (eg 320kbs MP3) or wrong format (Apple Lossless or FLAC). I've occasionally had file system trouble resolved by running chkdsk or Disk Utility's repair function.

Hope this helps.