Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Harmon Kardon questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 04:11 PM
spurvis
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to start out by saying I LOVE the sound quality of the H/K system. I have a couple of concerns though.
First, I know the suspension on MC's are tighter than the "average" car, but I feel the CD player skips more oftern than in any other car I've owned. I realize Cleveland roads leave a lot to be desired, but it's 2004 and auto CD's shouldn't skip.
Second, is there some sort of volume setting I'm not aware of. The temps have finally warmed up and I've found that with the windows down and the roof back, the volume only goes up so far. Even at only 60 mph, I find myself just turning the stereo off because I can't really hear the music any more. Is there a limit to the volume on the H/K? If not, how can I make the volume increase? Seems BMW would have assumed people would want to listen to music on the highway, windows down and be able to hear music.
I know this has been long winded, but I would appreciate any answers or additional feedback. Thanks!!

Old 05-17-2004, 04:52 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My CD player has never skipped--even on Pittsburgh, New York and Connecticut roads. Perhaps something is outta whack on yours?

Also... And I don't know how helpful this will be... I have seen another thread floating around somewhere that deals with the lack of volume issue--but I couldn't tell you where. Perhaps search the audio forum. I've never been disappointed with the volume levels, even at highway speeds with the windows down and the roof open (though I don't do that frequently just because it's so noisy). And I like my music loud.

Old 05-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Thrilhouse
5th Gear
I had my CD player replaced due to excessive skipping. The new one skips too, but not nearly as much.

As far as volume, I've noticed this also, but it seems to depend on what CD I'm listening to. Rush's "Moving Pictures" CD was difficult to hear at highway speeds with the windows open, but most others are okay. Perhaps the original recording level is lower on some CD's, I dunno....

Old 05-17-2004, 05:03 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
spurvis, Check in the audio forum for your answer on how to get more volumn from the HK... Mine I can cruise down the freeway at 75 with both windows down, sunroof open and rock out to the tunes.

Old 05-17-2004, 05:06 PM
C4
Banned
>>I want to start out by saying I LOVE the sound quality of the H/K system. I have a couple of concerns though.
>>First, I know the suspension on MC's are tighter than the "average" car, but I feel the CD player skips more oftern than in any other car I've owned. I realize Cleveland roads leave a lot to be desired, but it's 2004 and auto CD's shouldn't skip.
>>Second, is there some sort of volume setting I'm not aware of. The temps have finally warmed up and I've found that with the windows down and the roof back, the volume only goes up so far. Even at only 60 mph, I find myself just turning the stereo off because I can't really hear the music any more. Is there a limit to the volume on the H/K? If not, how can I make the volume increase? Seems BMW would have assumed people would want to listen to music on the highway, windows down and be able to hear music.
>>I know this has been long winded, but I would appreciate any answers or additional feedback. Thanks!!

I believe that depending on the HK listening mode you have, the stereo limits the max volume setting. For example if you are listening on any of the "Front Stage" biased settings such as "MINI H/K", "Electronic" and "Instrumental". It would be a good idea to try "Spatial" mode, which uses all 4 speakers front and back.

Now, if you want to listen to your stereo with the windows/roof open at highway speeds, your best bets are "Electronic Mode" (Most generous volume and loudness otherwise known as "Hollywood Curve&quot or switch to full '4-speaker mode' by selecting "Spatial" mode. Also, play with the "Driver" mode in all front stage biased sound settings to see if it works out for you. Remember that "Driver" mode works best when you are alone in the car.

My 8 month old '04 MCS' H/K stereo has never given me any problems, specially with the CD player skipping, etc. You may have a problem that may require a warranty replacement of the head unit.

Let us know how it goes.

The Harmon Kardon system is a very cool stereo but MINI did not include very comprehensive instructions about its optimal settings for maximum listening enjoyment.

Last, remember that speed sensitive volume is not available in the H/K stereo, only the standard "CD Boost" factory stereo.

Old 05-17-2004, 06:13 PM
spurvis
3rd Gear
Thank you so very much for the input "coopers4us". I have played with the different settings and prefer both Electonic and MINI H/K, but this is with the windows up and roof closed. I will try the other settings on the highway and hear what happens. As far as the skipping issue, I found a thread on the Owners Lounge that was just posted about H/K's skipping. Do you think MINI will replace my CD unit?

Also, I DO believe there is a slight speed "sensitve-ness" in the H/K system. I just might be in my head, but I swear I can hear the music slightly drop and rise in some situations. Again, this could be all in my head. I had already heard from past threads the speed-sensitive feature was not a part of the H/K system, but I knew I wanted the H/K anyway.

Thanks again for writing a great reply. I'm completely satisfied with the stereo and will just work around these gripes. I will try to get Classic MINI to replace the CD if it is still acting up when its first oil change is due.

Old 05-17-2004, 06:25 PM
C4
Banned
>>Thank you so very much for the input "coopers4us". I have played with the different settings and prefer both Electonic and MINI H/K, but this is with the windows up and roof closed. I will try the other settings on the highway and hear what happens. As far as the skipping issue, I found a thread on the Owners Lounge that was just posted about H/K's skipping. Do you think MINI will replace my CD unit?
>>
>>Also, I DO believe there is a slight speed "sensitve-ness" in the H/K system. I just might be in my head, but I swear I can hear the music slightly drop and rise in some situations. Again, this could be all in my head. I had already heard from past threads the speed-sensitive feature was not a part of the H/K system, but I knew I wanted the H/K anyway.
>>
>>Thanks again for writing a great reply. I'm completely satisfied with the stereo and will just work around these gripes. I will try to get Classic MINI to replace the CD if it is still acting up when its first oil change is due.

I am glad to help, Spurvis. I am sure that MINI will replace your defective CD player under warranty, no questions asked. Some H/K owners here have experienced the same problem and obtained new head units under warranty.

I think you are right about a slight "speed sensitiviness" the of the H/K stereo....will pay more attention next time I go in the expressway.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:06 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Note that the head unit is the same ("Boost&quot whether you have the H/K amp or not. So the CD skipping is not related to H/K ... There is a particular really bad bump on route 1 south near MINI Peabody that jumps any CD but generally my CDs don't jump - and my Kenwood Keg never jumps
Are you playing CDRs? Depending on the make/color/etc of CDR they might be harder for the head unit to read so more likely to jump.

One more thing about H/K volume - if you have the bass or treble set above "flat" turn it down again - to achieve the frequency boost the H/K amp steals from top volume!
The H/K amp is designed to have a max volume which presumably protects the speakers. If you have a CD recording which is low, you won't be able to achieve the maximum possible output. Believe me there *is* a lot in the H/K amp if you can get to it (eg: with an aftermarket head unit!)

Finally - speed compensation is definitely present but very subtle.
Try running up to 60mph on an empty road then shifting to neutral to silence the engine and braking - you will hear the sound level drop as the car slows.

Old 05-18-2004, 06:53 AM
JuanPacoLopez
3rd Gear
>>Note that the head unit is the same ("Boost&quot whether you have the H/K amp or not. So the CD skipping is not related to H/K ... There is a particular really bad bump on route 1 south near MINI Peabody that jumps any CD but generally my CDs don't jump - and my Kenwood Keg never jumps
>>Are you playing CDRs? Depending on the make/color/etc of CDR they might be harder for the head unit to read so more likely to jump.
>>

I had a BAD problem with my CD's skipping when I first got my car (non H/K)...

All of them are burned, most purchased from iTunes and the rest; well.....

Anyhow, I noticed that it wasn't skipping with the couple of "retail" CD's that I tried, so I decided to try some of those uber-expensive (comparatively) and oft overlooked audio CD-R's (gold). Every single disc of this batch I've burned has been flawless.

So, my recommendation is to try some different CD-R brands as well; you'll probably take care of the problem entirely after that.

Old 05-18-2004, 07:13 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
This thread moved from MINItalk to audio

The CD skipping is not normal so if it persists, report it to your service dept. My aftermarket Nakamichi CD400 has a small reset button to press when it starts to get out of alignment and skip.

HK volume is not very loud- it hits a limit. If the windows are down and the sunroof is open then you are fighting wind noise so don't expect much. If the windows and sunroof are closed you might consider adding sound deadening material like Dynamat Extreme or Cascade audio VB-max which you can do yourself to the inside door panels.

Old 05-18-2004, 07:50 AM
spurvis
3rd Gear
Thanks to all who have replied. I do use CD-R's and would agree they skip much more than retail CD's, but it is skipping on the retail CD's as well so I do believe either the unit is not mounted securely or just bad.

As for the volume issue, guess I'll just close eveything up on the highway and turn the air on, though I'm learning the A/C drains the power so much I have almost stalled the car in 1st gear twice now. Not fun! Thanks again to all for your great help!!!

Old 05-18-2004, 07:52 AM
bodinski
5th Gear
My H/K skips at random, almost never due to a bump. It happens only once in a while, and is about equally split between factory and burned discs. Also, as mentioned before, setting bass and treble to "flat" will raise the overall available volume. Annoying, but true.

Old 05-18-2004, 07:59 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Here's a tidbit of info from another thread I posted in...
To get the most volume without too much distortion (the front speakers will distort easier than the rear ones in my findings)

Set to Electronic mode
Fade mostly to the rear speakers
Take the bass setting down about three or four notches
Crank up the volume!!

Enjoy! :smile:

I enjoy my stock HK system with the windows down, sunroof open at 75 MPH and can hear it just fine. You're more than welcome to come for a drive in my car with me if you'd like to experience it first hand. :smile: