Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio CravenSpeed or Kuda for a Samsung Galaxy S4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 AM
HarleyDS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CravenSpeed or Kuda for a Samsung Galaxy S4?

Hello All,

I was just about to but the CravenSpeed Mount Pro Series, but then I stated hearing about how some people said their phones would start to turn when hitting bumps. Someone mention CravenSpeed fixed this issue, but I was hoping for confirmation before I spend the money.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/...nting-Kit.html

For the Kuda, I kinda like better, but none of their descriptions say it will fit an S4 which is bigger than the types of phones they list.

http://www.kudausa.com/mini-mini-coo...ack-a1224.html
along with this
http://www.kudausa.com/universal-pas...-gps-a856.html

I chose these two because I wanted a mount higher up and did not want a windshield suction type. I've had bad experiences in the past and don't want to have suction marks on the window that I have to clean off all the time.

If anyone has either of these mounts on their R56, please let me know your thoughts and experiences.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:14 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try proclipusa.com

Old 07-03-2013, 12:25 PM
EHans
5th Gear
I too am wondering. The Kuda looks interesting, but they just have generic pics and I cannot figure how they mount.

The proclip is nice, but mounts down low, too far to use as a GPS navigational aid.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:28 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by EHans
I too am wondering. The Kuda looks interesting, but they just have generic pics and I cannot figure how they mount.

The proclip is nice, but mounts down low, too far to use as a GPS navigational aid.
Even the dash surface mount?

Old 07-03-2013, 12:51 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Even the dash surface mount?
Is that new? I swear that wasn't there a few weeks ago when I was looking. Now I have a third option.

I like the Cravenspeed Flexpod concept the best, as it fits many phones with the X-arm it used to grip the phone, and landscape is possible. But the install is a bit more involved, and I wasn't aware it might not hold the phone rigid on its own.

It also looks like the Proclip might block a bit of the vent. Hard to tell from the pics, and may not be material.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:00 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Lol, it's been around for awhile. I just like their stuff, because you buy the base mount and then choose the holder that's best for you and your phone. Should be less than $99 too

Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Lol, it's been around for awhile. I just like their stuff, because you buy the base mount and then choose the holder that's best for you and your phone. Should be less than $99 too
I know one of the senior guys there so know they make a quality product. I may just go that route. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:12 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by EHans

I know one of the senior guys there so know they make a quality product. I may just go that route. Thanks for the heads up.
Welcome, keep us informed of the outcome

Old 07-03-2013, 01:13 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Welcome, keep us informed of the outcome
Well, have to get the CM first. Hope to have it by July 19, but we'll see.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:24 PM
HarleyDS
2nd Gear
Is there a way to use the ProClips mount so the phone can also record video out the front? That was one of the benefits of the CravenSpeed, though I wasn't sure the Kuda would be able to do this.

With where the vent is, won't part of the phone be blocked by the steering wheel Using ProClips?

Old 07-03-2013, 02:18 PM
red_barchetta
1st Gear
Wow, that CravenSpeed looks slick. Would be interested to hear about anyone putting it in a '13 Coupe. I'm not real excited about removing the tach.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:40 PM
rhygin
3rd Gear
Here's a strong endorsement for the Cravenspeed. It doesn't slip, is adjustable to hold the phone where I want it, and it's slim enough that when I don't have the phone in it, it's not blocking the view. The electrical connections and instructions for installing a hidden charging cord are a good bonus.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:21 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Noted rhygin. Good info.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 AM
HarleyDS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rhygin
Here's a strong endorsement for the Cravenspeed. It doesn't slip, is adjustable to hold the phone where I want it, and it's slim enough that when I don't have the phone in it, it's not blocking the view. The electrical connections and instructions for installing a hidden charging cord are a good bonus.
Thanks, I did find the CravenSpeed first, but then the Kuda looked interesting as it appears the leather would match. but having the option to record video in front of me still seems appealing.
I'll order it later today and see how it goes.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the Craven Speed for a Scangauge II. It's an easy install and works great. Removing the tach is very simple.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:50 PM
red_barchetta
1st Gear
This may be too late to help the original poster but I just installed the CravenSpeed mount on a '13 Coupe and it works beautifully. Seems tighter than most people say, it doesn't spin even when my phone is slightly off center. I'm using a Sony Xperia Play and I prefer it situated horizontally rather than vertically.

The install took about an hour (20 minutes of which was rooting around in my toolbox for a long enough extension and another 20 minutes of which was me being overly cautious about popping the tach off its rails). The directions you download from the CravenSpeed website are good except there are only two screws to remove on the '13 Coupe instead of three like it says.

Also I found it more helpful to rotate the tach 90 degrees left or right like in the attached pic instead of placing it face down on the steering column like CravenSpeed suggests in order to get at the screws on the back.

Anyway, fantastically engineered product so far. Easily worth the 100 bucks.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:04 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes I have the craven speed mount for a ScangaugeII. It's been great.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:28 PM
EHans
5th Gear
I put the CravenSpeed on my CMS Friday and love it. I never had an issue with the tach rails, but it came off very easily. They put the JCW gauges on at the port and that requires taking the tach off. I wonder if they put it on right? Can you get the screws on if it isn't on the rails right?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:37 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
It is possible to miss the rails and still put the tach on. It will be a little loose, and have a gap between it and the steering column if it is not on the rails.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kellen
It is possible to miss the rails and still put the tach on. It will be a little loose, and have a gap between it and the steering column if it is not on the rails.
Thanks. Doesn't appear loose. I'll double check tonight.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:45 AM
JonsR56
1st Gear
I bought the cravenspeed about a year ago when i had an iphone and it worked great. I switched phones and got the samsung gs3. It still fits without the case but you'll have to position the phone so that the controls on each side won't get pinched and have your phone turn off.