Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Routing usb/aux audio cables to secret storage...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:21 AM
acd483
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Routing usb/aux audio cables to secret storage...

After months of fumbling with connecting the Y-adapter to the USB/AUX port under the toggle switches, I'd like to create a permanent solution where I can store an iPod loaded with music in the little secret storage bin.

I've been searching for a write up on this, but I've only found threads relating to the accessory iPod connection kit. I don't need this. I simply want to buy extension cables for the USB and audio connections and route the wires up to the bin. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 AM
Speed_is_Good
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I simply purchased an Apple "extension cable", attached it to the Y-adapter and routed it into the glove box. Secured the cable with a couple of zip ties. There is enough space at the bottom of the glove box door so the cable does not get pinched. I know you would prefer to use the secret storage bin but this was quick and simple with no drilling / cutting.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:07 AM
acd483
Neutral
Originally Posted by Speed_is_Good
I simply purchased an Apple "extension cable", attached it to the Y-adapter and routed it into the glove box. Secured the cable with a couple of zip ties. There is enough space at the bottom of the glove box door so the cable does not get pinched. I know you would prefer to use the secret storage bin but this was quick and simple with no drilling / cutting.
This extension cable is brilliant! Thank you for the suggestion and in the meantime I will store the ipod in the glove compartment. Ultimately though, I would like to figure out how to route the cable into the secret storage.

Does anyone have advice on how to access this area? Do I need to remove the glove box, etc.?

Old 10-20-2012, 07:55 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Here is a thread on how one person did it.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-access-2.html

Old 10-20-2012, 08:42 AM
jacksongls
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious, wouldn't just putting your music on a small USB flash drive instead and using that accomplish the same thing?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jacksongls
Just curious, wouldn't just putting your music on a small USB flash drive instead and using that accomplish the same thing?
There is a major limiting factor in doing it with a usb stick and that is the number of songs you can have. You are limited to about 4000 songs and for some of us that is just to small a number. Even the largest iPod does not hold have my collection of over 100,000 tracks to date.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:43 PM
dustint
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jacksongls
Ya, that could work. I suppose it depends on what you use the USB interface for. Personally, I use my iPhone to stream all sorts of music and news programs so a USB stick wouldn't work at all. Something like this
30 pin extension cable 30 pin extension cable
would be ideal though to route the wiring wherever you like.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 PM
sasquatch
2nd Gear
i suggest running a USB Extension as well as the 3.5 inch audio extension to the compartment once you get it all apart as you may want to change what device you use in there in a pinch if your apple device goes bad or if a guest brings something they want to listen to . I believe the glove box has to come out to do it. This is a video I found on you tube that does it quickly.

It looks like the guy used a plastic butter knife to pry with. (blunt side)
These days I go right to youtube to figure out how to fix something quickly.